G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

07 g35 sedan catalytic converter question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 g35 sedan catalytic converter question

Hi guys .. here goes... the Catalytic converter right under the driver's seat is rattling pretty bad.. I took it to have it checked, and it looks like I will need to replace it. problem is, the OEM replacement is really expensive, and used ones here are hard to come by.

my question is.. does anyone know the best alternative for getting this CAT replaced? there are ton of aftermarket cats available for half the cost of just the one I need.
Please keep in mind I'm in Cali, and will eventually have to go trough a smog test.:/
I Basically need it to be as close to OEM as possible, without paying the retail on those things.

Thank you for your time

Old 05-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I had the same issue on my 08 after only 53k. I read somewhere that u can drill into the cat and use a nail or a screw to "stabilize" and hold the cat in place from rattling. Can't quote me on te exact process, but u may want to do a search. Also, how many miles do u have? The emissions warranty is longer than the manufacturers.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Federal warranty on catalytic converters is up to 8yr/80,000 miles. Not sure if that has to be functional defect but you could try to hit your dealer up to replace it on warranty grounds.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:01 PM
yikes :/ I wished I knew this 387 miles ago.. although.. they could always argue this was most likely due to the collision I recently had.
btw.. i crashed my car 2 months ago

I'm going to call them up just for kicks..
thanks for the advice.. I still think I need to look over some 3rd party alternative

Old 04-30-2016, 09:34 PM
The service engine soon light turned on yesterday and went to the dealer to find out what the issue is. They told me my catalytic converter and midpipe is cracked. They gave me a quote of $3300 to get them replace. Are there catalytic converters that i can order that will be the same as stock but not as expensive?

I would get HFC but I am worried about passing inspection in NY.

My car is a 2008 G35XS.

Last edited by giorgios; 04-30-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by giorgios
The service engine soon light turned on yesterday and went to the dealer to find out what the issue is. They told me my catalytic converter and midpipe is cracked. They gave me a quote of $3300 to get them replace. Are there catalytic converters that i can order that will be the same as stock but not as expensive?
Are u sure it's actually the catalytic converter and not the oxygen sensors? I ask because my car has loose honey combs inside the catalytic converter so it rattles, but despite that it still does its job and I don't get any warning lights. It's just a nuisance. I can only guess that the mid pipe being cracked makes the exhaust leak and it's not being properly filtered by the cat, and the light is going off... Or the oxygen sensors are bad.

So, if it is indeed the mid pipe that's bad, even if ur cat is rattling u can fix the leaking mid pipe and still be fine. If the oxygen sensor is bad, then that needs replacing, not the cat... So this really depends on what the actual problem is...

1. Is it the cat that's bad, if so why? Is it rattling? Clogged?

2. Assuming the cat is actually fine, then my money is on the fact that it's not fully working since the leak in the mid pipe is preventing the cat from doing its job

3. The service light is actually caused by a bad oxygen sensor, and ur stupid crooked dealer is trying to screw u.

I would say go to another mechanic, preferably non dealer, and don't mention anything about what the dealer said and just have them give u their diagnosis... Hopefully a free one, and see if this mechanic comes to the same conclusion.

Or go to auto zone and use a OBDII or whatever it's called to can ur error code and see what the computer is telling u is broken and causing that light.

Not all problems should he fixed for 3k...a catalytic converter rattle like mine can just be ignored, it's totally functional just annoying. U first need an accurate diagnosis and ur stealership can't really be trusted.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by RedBaronK
Are u sure it's actually the catalytic converter and not the oxygen sensors? I ask because my car has loose honey combs inside the catalytic converter so it rattles, but despite that it still does its job and I don't get any warning lights. It's just a nuisance. I can only guess that the mid pipe being cracked makes the exhaust leak and it's not being properly filtered by the cat, and the light is going off... Or the oxygen sensors are bad.

So, if it is indeed the mid pipe that's bad, even if ur cat is rattling u can fix the leaking mid pipe and still be fine. If the oxygen sensor is bad, then that needs replacing, not the cat... So this really depends on what the actual problem is...

1. Is it the cat that's bad, if so why? Is it rattling? Clogged?

2. Assuming the cat is actually fine, then my money is on the fact that it's not fully working since the leak in the mid pipe is preventing the cat from doing its job

3. The service light is actually caused by a bad oxygen sensor, and ur stupid crooked dealer is trying to screw u.

I would say go to another mechanic, preferably non dealer, and don't mention anything about what the dealer said and just have them give u their diagnosis... Hopefully a free one, and see if this mechanic comes to the same conclusion.

Or go to auto zone and use a OBDII or whatever it's called to can ur error code and see what the computer is telling u is broken and causing that light.

Not all problems should he fixed for 3k...a catalytic converter rattle like mine can just be ignored, it's totally functional just annoying. U first need an accurate diagnosis and ur stealership can't really be trusted.
Thank you Red Barron for your input. I will take it to another mechanic. I usually do all my services at the stealership because I have a tough time trust the shoemakers out there that think they are mechanics. But I will not give them $3000.