G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

What to look for in a used G35

Old 07-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to look for in a used G35

Hi!

I have been looking to get a new car for a while now and a G35 was high on my list. I am supposed to go check out a used 2007 G35x tomorrow and was wondering if anyone can give me some good pointers on what I should lookout for before buying the car. Any help at all would be appreciated!
Its an 07 G35x Tech package with 160k kms (100k miles) on it, listed by a private seller at $12,500. Blue book value of a fair condition G35x is $14k, so this should be an ok deal?

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
since ur in canada and the market is different i wont comment on the price but it sounds ok IF the going price is 14k for such a car.

as for the car, these cars are pretty solid. the main issues iv seen are the paint chipping from the door pulls and steering wheel trim, wheel bearings going out around those miles depending on how the car was driven and if there were any impacts and OEM rotors warpage other than that i dont recall any serious common issues with these cars.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:10 AM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
There is nothing w/ lower miles? That is high, butt if everything checks out then should be good. These cars are tough.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
That price is a little bit on the low side. It's a bargain if the car is in good condition. It's possible the seller has valid reasons for wanting a quick sale.
For the most part, these cars are trouble free and very low maintenance.

Just ask for the usual things. Service records. Accident reports? Is the owner going to safety the car before sale?

Some things to check:
- brake judder has been one of the few common issues. With this many km's I suspect the car has had the brakes/rotors replaced so this issue should be long gone.
- sunroof finisher (trim). Check that it slides open closed smoothly
- rubber door molding tends to come loose sometimes.
- only due to mileage, I would check suspension. Listen for noises. Easier and better to have a mechanic check.
- did the owner have the AWD (front and rear) differential fluid changed according to the maintenance schedule?

Tech package items:
- adaptive lighting system (has moving parts)
- intelligent cruise control (ICC)
I don't know if anyone has had issues with the lights or ICC but I do know they are expensive to replace.

Get your mechanic to inspect it. I would even say have Infiniti inspect it due to some of the tech package features.

The following users liked this post:
Ptiger (07-05-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This seems a little pricey for the amount of km's. 2 weeks ago I purchased a 2007 G35X Sedan for $15,500 with 98 000km's (60k Miles) in Toronto. That price was taxes and all the other fee's included.

I think you can find something better if you shop or wait around for another vehicle. Please keep in mind this wasn't purchased at a car dealership. I purchased it from an elderly couple that used the car to and from their cottage.

Last edited by LeFrenchy; 07-05-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by LeFrenchy
This seems a little pricey for the amount of km's. 2 weeks ago I purchased a 2007 G35X Sedan for $15,500 with 98 000km's (60k Miles) in Toronto. That price was taxes and all the other fee's included.

I think you can find something better if you shop or wait around for another vehicle. Please keep in mind this wasn't purchased at a car dealership. I purchased it from an elderly couple that used the car to and from their cottage.
Just to be sure we are helping by comparing apples to apples...does yours have Premium, Nav and Tech packages?

BTW, I thought you purchased an 08 G35X? https://g35driver.com/forums/6493304-post1.html

Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
That price is a little bit on the low side. It's a bargain if the car is in good condition. It's possible the seller has valid reasons for wanting a quick sale.

Just ask for the usual things. Service records. Accident reports? Is the owner going to safety the car before sale?

Some things to check:
- brake judder has been one of the few common issues. With this many km's I suspect the car has had the brakes/rotors replaced so this issue should be long gone.
- only due to mileage, I would check suspension. Listen for noises. Easier and better to have a mechanic check.
- did the owner have the AWD (front and rear) differential fluid changed according to the maintenance schedule?

Tech package items:
I don't know if anyone has had issues with the lights or ICC but I do know they are expensive to replace.

Get your mechanic to inspect it. I would even say have Infiniti inspect it due to some of the tech package features.
^^ this is very good advice. and agree that the price is very good if the car is clean.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some things to check:

Tech package items:

Hi,
Thanks for your advice. When i talked to the seller yesterday, he said he has the carproof available and will show it to me when I check out the car. According to him its a one owner accident free car, he is selling certified and e-tested. How much would Infiniti charge for a full inspection? I don't really know any good mechanics.

$15.500 with taxes in? So the car was around $13,500, that sounds like an amazing deal. May I know what site you found it on?

Old 07-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ptiger
Hi,
Thanks for your advice. When i talked to the seller yesterday, he said he has the carproof available and will show it to me when I check out the car. According to him its a one owner accident free car, he is selling certified and e-tested. How much would Infiniti charge for a full inspection? I don't really know any good mechanics.

$15,500 with taxes in? So the car was around $13,500, that sounds like an amazing deal. May I know what site you found it on?
You're welcome.

I would let LeFrenchy answer my question, if he wants, before assuming he got a better deal than you're looking at.
The Premium, Navigation and Tech packages are worth a fair bit. If he doesn't have all 3 that could justify the cost differences.
Also he hasn't clarified if he has an 08X (as he previously posted) or an 07X as he mentioned here.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Just to be sure we are helping by comparing apples to apples...does yours have Premium, Nav and Tech packages?

BTW, I thought you purchased an 08 G35X? https://g35driver.com/forums/6493304-post1.html
Sorry, I did a typo, we purchased a 2008 G35X fully loaded, the only thing it was missing it the Nav system.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ptiger
Hi,

$15.500 with taxes in? So the car was around $13,500, that sounds like an amazing deal. May I know what site you found it on?
We found it on www.autotrader.ca in the private seller section. At first I assumed it was a scam but when I went over to look at the car, it was actually an elderly couple selling the vehicle since they wanted something more compact.

Got it checked at Simone Performance up in New Market and he told me the car was mint. So we pulled the trigger on it. For any Infiniti / Nissan, that's THE mechanic in Toronto. Vick is a stand up guy, you can find many people vouching for him on these or nissan forums.

Here's his contact info:

#11-200 Mulock Drive
Newmarket, Ont.
L3Y 9B6
Ph: 905-853-1677
Fx: 905-853-1679
Em: info@simoneperformance.com

Hope this helps and sorry about the typo regarding the year of our vehicle.

Last edited by LeFrenchy; 07-05-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Sorry, I did a typo, we purchased a 2008 G35X fully loaded, the only thing it was missing it the Nav system.
That's not fully loaded. If it does not have Navigation then it also does not have the Tech Package. In 2008 the Tech Package required the purchase of the Navigation Package. They where both very expensive.

You probably have the Premium Package; Bose Studio on Wheels, Sunroof, Bluetooth Handsfree Phone, Drivers memory seats and steering wheel, Homelink and a few other items.

Nav and Tech where 2 more Packages added on after Premium Package. The car the OP is looking at for $12.5k has all 3 packages.
As we said, $12.5k is a pretty good price if the car checks out clean.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 07-05-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check that it had the 96000 KM service done. That's all major fluids and an important service and a good indicator of ownership history. I'd make sure that was done given how many K's are on that car now. If you can't verify it, I'd walk away. I can't think of any recalls or TSB's to check, but I'd phone local dealers and see if the car was serviced and had appropriate recall work done. If so, that's a good sign of good ownership history. Really, get as much service history as you can and push the stealerships to divulge as much info as possible. Inspection. Get a good garage/mechanic to inspect the car. Understand that you'll have another major service coming up as well. And check tire wear and break ware in case they are low, giving you something more to negotiate price with. Also check for wheel and tire damage. I'd definitely take the car out on a highway and also do some spirited driving on country roads. Make sure it rides well at high speed and handles well on corners driving aggressively.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I know this thread is old, but I'm just going to leave this here for anyone arriving here from a search:

What to look for in a G35??

I'd say you absolutely want to make sure you have the oil pressure measured!

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ml#post6945877

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...-pressure.html

Old 11-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Service records are a major plus when buying any car!

The main failure with our G35s is Oil Consumption so you'll need to have a qualified mechanic give a compression test which will show the condition of the piston rings. Buying a high mileage G35 you may find it difficult to find one without issues in this area! Carfax will show if the car you're buying has ever been in an accident. You don't want some junk yard dog that will cost you more in a year than you paid for it! Once it's checked out by a mechanic and the Carfax is clear a good idea is to take it for a drive, not just around the block but 30 minutes at highway speed. That kinda drive will show up demons mechanics can't find...Gary

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to look for in a used G35