G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

under engine shield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation under engine shield

im having a problem with all this stuff, my under engine shield has come loose and ripped out of the brackets that mount it to the bumper which forced it to hit against my inner plastic fender piece on the passenger side and made it go under my tire and rip off.

ok so i replaced the fender piece and fixed the under engine shield. worked for a week and today it came off again on the highway causing it too slightly damage my inner fender plastic.. i think the problem is that where the engine shield mounted into the bumper is damaged is there a fix for this?

and if i just get rid of the whole under shield would it really matter, what can happen without it in the snow and rain?

all is help is appreciated
-Ryan.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
I pulled mine off cuz it eventually ripped off from the previous owner scraping up on curbs. The thing is you need to secure your fenders since that helps to hold it together. Of course you run more risk to your undercarriage but consider the amount of cars manufactured without such protection. If you want there's vendors that sell metal under-shields which are cool (and shiny) but that's up to you if you want to go down that route. Don't run up onto curbs since that'll scrape your front down to nothing and cause it to fall off. Keep handy a knife and zip-ties just incase!

Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Just about every clip for the splash shield was broken off of mine. I bought a thin piece of steel from Home Depot and cut it so it matched the curve of the bumper, than just used small bolts to mount it to the bottom of the bumper. It has supported the weight of an aluminum splash shield for a while now and I doubt there will be any issues in the future. Depending on where you live, not running a splash shield on the bottom isn't a big issue but still recommended.

Last edited by herrschaft; 07-21-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repaired with sheet aluminum and pop rivets

I repaired my G35x bumper in a similar fashion. The main difference is that I used sheet aluminum. I cut 4 inch AU squares, snipped the corners off then folded them in half over the torn-out lower bumper attach points. I then drilled holes around the damaged area (through the aluminum and plastic) and used a cheap pop rivet gun to secure the metal to the bumper. I then slid the retaining clips over and drilled through for the bolt. This repair held up great on my '06 G35x I hope this also helps. Sorry, I have no pictures.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I've had mine off my car for 2 years now. No real ill effects and plenty of cars driving around today do not have a shield underneath.

I really don't notice much of a difference in the snow. I've plowed through some deep snow and to be honest, even with the shield in place i was getting salt and snow splashed up to the top of the engine anyway, so the shield really didn't offer up that much protection.

It does make oil changes, and visual inspection MUCH easier, and i found that the shield hid a leaking oil cooler seal because I never noticed any dripping on the ground. Aside from the winter, the underside of the engine still stays clean. Nothing is rusting really.

I might put it back on one day....prob when i sell the car. Anyway in 2 years, i haven't lost any sleep over the fact that the undersheild sits in the corner of the garage vs on the car.