G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

DIY Replacing Steering Wheel Bezel v36

Old 01-23-2015, 08:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-INFINITI...230321&vxp=mtr

You can wait for the auction and try to get it for $20, not mine, but figured ill help someone out. (bought mine new from the dealer for $11.99 before the markup)

Old 01-27-2015, 03:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by whanner
IMPORTANT NOTE - If you do this, make SURE you tape your clockspring down as soon as you remove the steering wheel and do NOT let it rotate from its original position. The clockspring is the electronic peace your steering wheel controls plug into. Mine rotated on me and I didn't know it, as soon I made the 1st turn it snapped the cable in the clockspring $150 and trashed steering wheel angle sensor $700. My dealer sold me the clockspring for cost $75 and I found an angle sensor in a steering wheel column in a salvage yard for $80.... many hours wasted tracking down what all broke... Another lesson learned the hard way, the steering wheel angle sensor is snapped to the back of the clockspring and when the clockspring is purchased new, you have to move the angle sensor over to the new clockspring. In my case... had to buy another angle sensor. My symptoms for the angle sensor were VDC and slip light would not go out and the symptoms of a broke clockspring were no steering wheel controls and airbag light.....on mine 2007 G35 2nd gen, the clockspring is what the airbag plugged into. hope this helps someone. Here is what my clockspring looks like. DO NOT let it rotate with the steering wheel off and you should be fine. http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/...DSC07966s2.jpg
Hey Whammer, thanks for pointing this out.

I did have a few questions for you.

The tamper proof torx-30 bit, do you need the 5-point or 6-point bits?

Also, when you say you taped it down, did you just, literally, use some tape and tape down the clock spring?

_Michael

Old 01-27-2015, 07:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just thought I'd share another way to get the trim piece.

I picked up a steering wheel with new trim from a 2011 on eBay for $55 (made a best offer and the seller accepted!). I swapped the trim peices and ended up selling the steering wheel for $65 after shipping and ebay fees i ended up paying maybe $20 for the trim piece in the end.

Took a little more effort this way but I wasn't paying $90+ for something that you could get for $10 a year ago.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:24 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey everyone.

I completed this part replacement yesterday and I just wanted to share a few thoughts.

This DIY was helpful, I also found http://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-in...ement-diy.html to be helpful as well since it has highlighted pictures.

One recommendation would be to put tape on your steering wheel/steering column so that you can line it up. I did NOT do this and when taking of the 19mm nut and was moving the wheel counter-clockwise (didn't have anyone there to hold the wheel down) and then it locked and when I put the wheel back on, it was not lined up, and when I was driving straight the wheel was actually pointed to the right (I should have put the wheel back on pointed to the left).

There is also a line and dot on the steering rack that you can line up, but the tape would help as well. It only took me a moment to correct, but I wish I had done it right the first time.

Also, as far as taking the two connectors out of the back of the airbag, I used the smallest flathead I had and all you have to do is put it under the top part of the black plastic on the back of the connector and just wiggle it until it pops up, then it comes right out.

I do not know what this clock-spring thing is, but I made sure that the wires lined up with their respective holders when putting everything back together so that everything would spin together and not break.

Also, the security Torx bit I used was a T-35 bit. Everyone said to use the T30, but I used the T35. I dunno if my piece was mislabeled or if someone used different bolts but I the Torx bit was a security T-35 bit.

Additionally, on the G37 link, I was unclear how many screws to remove to get the old bezel off, I eventually just took every single screw out and the bezel came off. They are NOT all the same sizes so just remember where they lined up at.

All in all, the install was easy. I would do it in 20 minutes or less now since I have done it once. If anything, the new black bezel is so nice it kinda makes me want to have my steering wheel re-wrapped in leather since right now it is kinda faded.

_Michael

Last edited by MikeJones916; 02-19-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perry Infiniti does not use eBay anymore and hasn't in about 2 - 3 years. I just got off the phone with them and they want $133 for the part...

Old 09-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool.... I may just Plasti Dip mine so it matches my door bezels