G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Door Not Opening from Both Sides?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happened to me today on 08 35x. Got out, went into gas station for less than 3 min, came out and could not get into driver side. Would not open from inside either. When I tired it again about 3 hours later it worked and has worked all day.

Seems strange that it would be frozen since it has been way below zero for a lot of this winter and I have not had the problem until today when it was in the 20's.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 AM
Received 23 Likes on 1 Post
G35x sedan
I've had the same problem when the car gets cold. Particularly when it rains and freezes or I wash the car and it gets cold at night. Get the car warm and the door will open.

Take a can of WD40 and lube the lock mechanism on the door like crazy. About every 6-8 weeks in my car during the winter.

Let me know if you have any other issues...will help if I can...

Old 03-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had same issue with passenger side on my 2008 G35x. After taking seat, door panel, speaker, glass, door module (inner door panel) off, I found cable had come off outside door handle. After reconnecting cable, lock was still stuck.(car lives in heated garage so it's not frozen) I was able to manually move cable connection on door lock mechanism inside door and voila, the door opened. I sprayed everything with white lithium grease, worked the door a bunch of times and everything seemed back to normal.

After reinstalling door module, glass, seat and door panel, I locked/unlocked car and passenger door would not open again. aargh!!!

Decided to order new door lock. I plan to install this weekend. Hopefully cable is still connected and I can trip door lock by inserting pole between inside glass and inner door panel so I don't have to take seat out again to get the door panel off.

Has anyone ever replaced inner door lock?

Old 04-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Replaced door lock this weekend and front passenger door works perfectly now. Basic sequence I followed to replace door lock with door stuck closed is as follows:

Remove Front Passenger Seat
======================
- Remove head rest
- Slide passenger seat forward to expose rear bolts (with plastic covers)
- Remove plastic covers and rear bolts (14 mm Heads)
- Slide passenger seat backward to expose front bolts (with plastic covers)
- Remove plastic covers and front bolts (14 mm Heads)
- Disconnect Battery (neg terminal only)
- Tilt seat back and disconnect electrical connectors for power, heat and air bag (four connectors)
- Reconnect battery

Remove Door Panel
===============
- Open passenger window all the way
- Using plastic trim tool covered in rag, pry up power window switch (start at rear and work your way to the front)
- Disconnect electrical connector
- Remove two bolts behind power window switch
- Remove courtesy light with trim tool and disconnect electrical connector
- Remove plastic cover behind inside door handle
- Remove bolt behind inside door handle
- From outside car, push door panel away from door starting in middle and working towards back of car then down rear of door reaching between back of panel and door with trim tool to pop clips from door.(panel will clear door jam on B pillar but it's a tight squeeze)
- Once door panel clears B pillar, you should be able to go back inside car and pull bottom of door panel away from door past the door sill.
- Towards top front of door panel there is a plastic post that also needs to be disengaged from door. Use trim tool or screw driver to work if free from door from inside or outside.(I ended up cracking mine off because I forgot to pry it loose before pulling panel off)
- Reach in and disconnect tweeter.
- Also reach in and disconnect cables to door lock and inside door handle.
- From inside car, pull door panel toward rear of car and remaining clips should dislodge from door and panel should be free.

Remove Door Glass
===============
- Remove speaker by removing four bolts (8mm Heads), cutting wire tie securing speaker wires to speaker and disconnect two (2) speaker wire connectors
- Remove tape covering rectangular access hole for rear door glass bolt
- Remove "squeegee" trim piece from top of door by just pulling up starting at rear and working forward
- Reconnect window switch
- Turn ignition to on position (press start button twice w/o foot on brake)
- Raise door glass until bolts holding glass to regulator are exposed in speaker opening and rectangular access hole.
- Turn off car (press start button w/o foot on brake)
- Remove two bolts holding glass to regulator.
- Lift glass up and out of door by tilting rear of glass upwards and removing towards outside of vehicle.

Remove Door Module (Inner door panel)
=============================
- Remove (10) bolts holding door module to door.
- Pull door module towards inside of car and lift up and out to clear regulator from opening
- Leave all remaining electrical connections on door module but support bottom so it doen't hang from wires.

Unlock Door
=========
- Reconnect cable to inside door handle (if cable had come off like mine had)
- Follow cable around to door lock and press lever down.(you should hear a satisfying "thunk" when door is finally unlocked)

Remove Outside Door Handle
======================
- Holding top of door module from outside car, open door.
- Support bottom of door module. (I used cinder block and some wood covered in towel for support)
- Disconnect two electrical connectors and clips from outside handle bracket.(inside door)
- Remove grommet (plug) to expose torx bolt on end of door holding escutcheon (blank part of outside door handle w/o key hole on passenger side)
- Loosen torx bolt until escutcheon is free. (Torx bolt can not be removed all the way)
- Pull outside door handle out and back towards rear of car
- Remove front and rear gaskets from outside of door (under where door handle was)

Remove Outside Handle Bracket
========================
- Remove torx bolt holding outside handle bracket to door.
- Slide outside handle bracket forward until it's free from door
- Disconnect cable from outside handle bracket.

Remove Door Lock
==============
- Unclip plastic cable guide from inside of door.
- Unclip outside cable from clip on door.
- Remove three torx bolts holding door lock to door.
- Remove door lock from door.

Reassembly is the same process in reverse. (refer to Infiniti Service manual DLK page 241 for additional details and torque specs)

Good Luck!

Old 04-07-2014, 03:56 PM
I forgot to mention I got air bag light after I was all done.(probably because I drove car without passenger seat while I was waiting for new lock to arrive)

Reset procedure is as follows:

- Turn ignition to ON position (push start button 2X w/o foot on brake)
- As soon as idiot lights turn off but before air bag lights starts blinking again turn ignition off (push start button once w/o foot on brake)
- Repeat process three more times.
- Start car normally and air bag light should be off.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:11 PM
An update on my problem:

It has not come back since... Has been both very warm and very, very cold since then but there have been absolutely no problems with any of the doors (yet).

Old 05-30-2014, 02:32 PM
Glad to hear problem has not resurfaced. You may want to consider replacing lock anyway while you can still open the door. I have my old lock in the (warm) basement and if I lift up on the arm connected to the cable, it still jams...

You also run the risk of damaging the door panel by trying to remove with the door closed not to mention the inconvenience of having to climb into driver's seat from passenger side.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Hello guys,

Im in a odd situation and want to know what you guys would do in my situation or any advice i could use ...

Im located in VA woodbridge area...

I have a 07 Journey and one day it was real cold outside and snowing and i guess the outside handle was frozen and i didnt realize it when i went to open the door... well something broke and now it doesnt open from the outside anymore....

but it did still open from the inside just not the outside

heres the twist when someone was washing my car they made a mistake and hit the child lock switch and now the door cant open from the inside or outside anymore...

i been calling people around town trying to see if i can supply the part and pay the labor since i can get the part off ebay for $40.....

but these shops around here wont let me bring the part and want to sell me a unpainted part and charge me for painting it and the part and labor for getting the door fixed and saying its around 500 to fix it....

i been driving with this door like this for awhile and it just annoys me i cant open it but i dont think it will be worth 500 just to be able to open the door again... plus i will be trading this car in but that isnt till some time from now....

what can i do or what would you do?

Old 10-20-2015, 02:35 AM
Seems like this issue has alot to do with rain/car wash's. Any ideas as to where the water leaks in from in the firts palce? I am in teh same boat now but the weather is no where near freezing. I think it may be a lack of lubrification/water penetration . Any thougts?

Old 10-20-2015, 02:59 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Old 11-17-2015, 11:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have locks, actuators, power window motors and the arm lock / unlock / window up / down buttons

Let me know if you need anything (see my part out thread)

Old 02-02-2019, 11:51 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Your mom's boyfriend
If heating the door doesn't work, you can always get the car door open with the windows rolled down and slim jim with a hook to lift the latch lever if none of the handles work (outside or in).

Moisture always makes it's way to the inside of the door panel.
Usually it runs down the cables and inside the sheathing. When it freezes the cables kink or and no longer retract properly. Pull the cable out, straighten the wire and lube.
Sometimes it runs down the latch assembly, and rusts, causing it to seize. Pull the latch out, clean it and lube it. If not replace it.

It can be fixed, or you should at least try because around here a new latch is over $500.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2013 Altima has the same door lock actuator assembly as the 2008 G35x? The Altima part is a lot cheaper and looks very similar to the G35x. I want to change my driver side lock cause it freeze up when it get really cold. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:14 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Go down to a parts house and compare the two side-by-side.