G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Turning off traction control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by willdogs
Because not everyone on this board uses their car in the way that you do. Most of us use it as a daily driver to get from A to B. Maybe push it a bit on the highway once in a while.

So for most of us, pushing the VDC button is sufficient for when we want to have a bit of "fun". You are driving to the extremes to the extent most of us will never do, nor do we have a reason to.
I say that because a lot here, wrote that pushing the vdc button completely shuts traction control off and they can do burnouts and donuts and what have you. It is not true that it shuts it off completely. You must disable the yaw control box. I've only taken my track to the car once and I know I could have done better had I had full control of the car. This is not driving to the extreme. Anyways for those of us that have 07-08 G, ( the reason I posted on this section ) if you wish to install a switch to turn off the yaw module and completely shut off the traction control, do it at your own risk and it's the green wire were the switch should be placed.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
^^^ This thread has been posted at least 20 times. Every single time someone says the VDC button completely disables traction control.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine turns completely off. I do have a 6mt though but I can do burn outs and drift my sedan at will with no interruption from the traction control. My traction control is pretty mild even when on. The back wheels will spin enough to startle my wife in the rain if she is not ready for it. I wonder if the sport models have a less intrusive TC than non sport models? Food for though....

Old 04-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by amgvr4
Mine turns completely off. I do have a 6mt though but I can do burn outs and drift my sedan at will with no interruption from the traction control. My traction control is pretty mild even when on. The back wheels will spin enough to startle my wife in the rain if she is not ready for it. I wonder if the sport models have a less intrusive TC than non sport models? Food for though....
No it doesnt.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
It might differ from year to yearl. With the VDC off, my car makes no attempt to correct any loss of traction or excess movement. The ABS is the only thing that will kick in on rare occasions.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
It must be hit or miss, my 06 6mt would get sideways with the vdc disabled. Never intervened

Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 AM
con
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I turn the vdc off I've never had any problems "kicking it sideways" and in the snow with winter tires I let it loose with no noticeable engine bottle necking just by pushing the button.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:31 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Since the G is a drift monsta, Turning it off actually turns on your inner ken block.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
If you listen during snow drifts you will hear the abs kicking on, violating your true free spin even with VDC off.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Stillen06coupe
It must be hit or miss, my 06 6mt would get sideways with the vdc disabled. Never intervened
Im sure you are correct. Im sure they all have ecus that are programmed differently, where some disable VDC completely and some dont.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
If you listen during snow drifts you will hear the abs kicking on, violating your true free spin even with VDC off.
This is just not true for me. I'm not sure how we get so many different opinions, but it is what it is.

I played a lot in the snow this winter, and could definitely feel and hear the abs when I had vdc on. When I had it off, my car would spin if I got too out of shape, with absolutely no intrusion from abs.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got my 08 sedan auto and when i hit that little button those tires smoke up! what kind of tires are you running?

Old 04-22-2014, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
No it doesnt.
No it dosent what? If you are referring to the possiblity of a different sensitivity for the VDC then thank you for the input. If however you are suggesting the VDC on MY car does not fully disable then not only are you mistaken but out of line. As as senior SCCA drift program instructor and track day car builder I know how to identify if the vdc is functioning or not.

I just thought of a second possibility. The non sport cars do not have a LSD so when the tires spin there will at times be a drastic difference between the two rear wheels rotational speed. That is most likely triggering the abs to act like a makeshift LSD in an attempt to equalize the wheel speed between drivers and passenger sides. Since sport models have an limited slip the wheel speed will not be different enough to trigger the abs and interrupt the fun.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:03 AM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Also. The lsds tend to west with miles so as they start to wear, I'm sure they trigger it easier

Old 04-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
There's Tc and then there's vdc. I have an 07 6mt sedan and while the vdc button reduces traction control intervention it does not turn it off (For Me). I believe the button disables vdc but it only reduces traction control. Consider yourself lucky if it turns both off completely, I wish I had this option. While I have no desire to do smoky burnouts I wouldn't mind having a little more fun in the snow and rain from time to time.

Regardless of vdc on or off, this car has some serious wheel tramping which is a turn off for breaking traction.

Last edited by G force; 04-27-2014 at 10:26 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turning off traction control