G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2008 g35 sedan blown engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:44 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
bro.. i hate to say it, but sometimes **** just breaks. No matter how well you take care of your car, it breaks.. in the real world it is acceptable.. if 1 out of every 200 engines have some sort of defect.. that's "only" 99.5%.. Nissan or any other car company find that acceptable.. and AFAIK, not all G owners are on this site, or the internet..

OP... good luck.. while i doubt infiniti will do anything, sometimes I've seen dealerships make goodwill repairs happen if you've been maintaining the car at the dealership.. you probably had that 1 out of 200 engines that had an issue.
I completely agree with you. That's why my post wasn't saying anything definitive. I said most likely, probability wise, that damage happened because of other factors, and the only way to really know what happened is to have a mechanic take it apart. In fact, your post is just a restatement of what my post was.

Things do just break, but it is very unlikely for that to happen to this engine, statistically speaking. The OP didn't post any pictures of the damage either, and the story is just from him and nobody else.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 04-13-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 AM
Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
G35x
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
The powertrain warranty is only 6 years/70,000 miles, whichever comes first.
I was able to extend my factory bumper-to-bumper warranty out to basically 9 years by purchasing the Elite just before factor bumper-to-bumper expired. I think if you time it right now you can probably make it almost 10 years as you can now purchase a 8 year/120K mile Elite warranty. They give you an extra year with the inspection that is done. It basically makes it CPO even though all you did was purchase warranty.

This is a very rarely reported problem and feel the VQ35HR is a great motor overall. IMO it is close to the old VG30E in overall reliability and I feel a whole lot better about it than the VQ35DE in my Maxima.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iloveG
ur son profsional mechianc? infinity verified???
Yes ASC Certified and Viper Certified. Actually he has a lot more than that, and certainly knows the difference in oil viscosity.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
I know the transmission has a 7 year warranty, but what about the engine? That sucks to hear and for me to be force induction gets me a little scared now.
7 years or 70,000 miles. It has 77,000 miles

Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by kvannest
Yes ASC Certified and Viper Certified. Actually he has a lot more than that, and certainly knows the difference in oil viscosity.
ASC certified? What's that? Since you probably mean ASE certified, then you don't really know much about it since you can't spell it correctly. I've had plenty of ASE certified technicians who screwed up my car and non-ASE certified who knew more about the car. It really doesn't matter. Again, the whole issue with your car requires a mechanic to take it apart and see what really made the engine throw a rod. Right now, nobody can rule out anything. It could be a freak accident, it could be your son's mistake, who knows? It could be lack of oil changes or too long OCI, but again, nobody knows the full history of your car.

Viper certified? You mean Dodge Viper? That's a completely different vehicle than the G35.

I believe your son put oil in the car. I'm sure everyone is curious what actually caused the engine to throw a rod. There are way too many factors for any of us to judge what happened, but most of the time, when this happens, it is usually due to car low on oil, overheating, failed oil pump, modifications, over-revving engine, etc like I listed above. Did Infiniti Consumer Affairs contact you back? How long ago was the oil change done before this happened? How many miles did your engine have from the last oil change?

Originally Posted by kvannest
7 years or 70,000 miles. It has 77,000 miles
Wrong, I already mentioned it in a previous post. It is 6 years or 70k miles, whichever comes first.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 04-14-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
sorry to hear bud. good luck. heres my lenthy post...

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-eng...elp-techs.html

Old 04-15-2014, 05:47 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by treacherous
You may want to look into having a low mileage used engine installed instead.
This.

$15,000 from the dealer is ridiculous. You could have a nicely BUILT motor for that

Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by suby01
sorry to hear bud. good luck. heres my lenthy post...

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-eng...elp-techs.html
Your car was modded. The OP's isn't. It is a completely different situation.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
ASC certified? What's that? Since you probably mean ASE certified, then you don't really know much about it since you can't spell it correctly. I've had plenty of ASE certified technicians who screwed up my car and non-ASE certified who knew more about the car. It really doesn't matter. Again, the whole issue with your car requires a mechanic to take it apart and see what really made the engine throw a rod. Right now, nobody can rule out anything. It could be a freak accident, it could be your son's mistake, who knows? It could be lack of oil changes or too long OCI, but again, nobody knows the full history of your car.

Viper certified? You mean Dodge Viper? That's a completely different vehicle than the G35.

I believe your son put oil in the car. I'm sure everyone is curious what actually caused the engine to throw a rod. There are way too many factors for any of us to judge what happened, but most of the time, when this happens, it is usually due to car low on oil, overheating, failed oil pump, modifications, over-revving engine, etc like I listed above. Did Infiniti Consumer Affairs contact you back? How long ago was the oil change done before this happened? How many miles did your engine have from the last oil change?

Wrong, I already mentioned it in a previous post. It is 6 years or 70k miles, whichever comes first.
Dude, take it easy. There's no need for the attitude.

OP, sorry to hear about this. It definitely strikes fear in all of our hearts. But it's already been said, so just to reiterate, **** happens, and **** breaks. It's totally out of our hands sometimes.

At any rate, I hope Infiniti helps you out, and this all gets squared away to your liking. If you can't get a new healthier motor, maybe a G37? Q50?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by samuel1021
Dude, take it easy. There's no need for the attitude.

OP, sorry to hear about this. It definitely strikes fear in all of our hearts. But it's already been said, so just to reiterate, **** happens, and **** breaks. It's totally out of our hands sometimes.

At any rate, I hope Infiniti helps you out, and this all gets squared away to your liking. If you can't get a new healthier motor, maybe a G37? Q50?
There really isn't an attitude here. Just stating facts. If people bothered to read what has been posted then there would be no confusion. I honestly feel bad for the OP if he did all that he could to not have this situation happen.

However, if he didn't maintain his car, then that's a different story.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Informing OP that a Viper is a different car than a G35? Totally not needed. Then commenting on his spelling of an acronym.

There's a right and wrong way to talk to someone, and you've made it clear you don't know the difference.

I have no interest in taking over this thread with an argument. With that said, I'm in for updates, OP.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car. I have never known a stock VQ35HR to blow from normal driving conditions, but **** breaks. Sometimes it is neglect, sometimes it is a flaw in the material, sometimes Jupiter lines up with Mercury.

If it is Nissan's problem then I hope they help you out. If not then ... to bad so sad.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by samuel1021
Informing OP that a Viper is a different car than a G35? Totally not needed. Then commenting on his spelling of an acronym.

There's a right and wrong way to talk to someone, and you've made it clear you don't know the difference.

I have no interest in taking over this thread with an argument. With that said, I'm in for updates, OP.
You don't seem to understand either. Spreading wrong information is not going to help anyone on this forum. The OP didn't need to mention about Viper certified, because that is irrelevant to our car. The question he/she was responding to was if the son was ASE certified and Infiniti certified.

It may be a bit harsh, but I've already mentioned information previously that the OP ignored and spread more wrong information. Maybe my "attitude" is slightly justified. The OP was also connecting how his issue could be similar to the massive engine failures Chrysler and Honda had with their S2000, which we all know is NOWHERE close to that.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 04-16-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:40 AM
You're being a complete tool and providing absolutely nothing to the thread except being annoying and reducing the chance that the OP returns to share the findings. Everyone knows how someone could blow up a car, nobody needs you acting all high and mighty, spouting theories about how he could have done this, or could have done that, when he's specifically told us he didn't do what you insist on accusing him of.

He said it was stock. He said it was properly maintained. He said he didn't do anything stupid with it. All we can do is take him at his word and hope he sticks around to share his findings with us. Sometimes things just break and when they do it's really convenient to know what breaks and hopefully why it breaks so the rest of us can avoid the same fate. If you could chill out on your Capt. D-bag attitude for a bit maybe we could all be fortunate enough to actually learn something from this.

The following 2 users liked this post by pdexta:
samuel1021 (04-16-2014), Texasscout (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 11:20 AM
I didn't accuse him of anything. I was just giving scenarios of how it could happen. Sometimes, the simplest things can be overlooked. Calling someone a D-bag says a lot about you. I never insulted the OP. I was merely correcting misinformation.

The OP didn't give much information either. That's why I had a lengthy post of how it could happen. I even said it could be just a fluke. You don't have to make this thread longer than it has to be. We all agree on the same thing here. We all want to know what exactly happened. Also most of us agree that wrong information should not be spread.

And not everyone knows how you can blow up a car. Why do you think some people don't change their oil ever and cause sludge?

There are no bad intentions here, let's clear this up right now.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 04-16-2014 at 11:39 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 g35 sedan blown engine