G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Steering Wheel Removal Help

Old 09-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Steering Wheel Removal Help

I was trying to remove my steering wheel so I could swap out the bezel. However, I can't get the screws off that hold on the airbag (under the pop off covers behind the wheel). It looks like someone snapped off something in each of the screws and the T30 bit I have won't go into the hole (or any other bit I have).

Anything else I should try to get the bolts off? Special tools?

TIA

Old 09-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
These are called tamper proof bolts. You need a tamper proof socket set to get them out. I got mine from sears.

please make sure your battery is disconnected and discharged.

Last edited by bat6wc; 09-27-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Willing to jump into a job which requires handling a live bomb, yet uninformed enough to not even recognize basic fasteners associated with doing said job.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
+1 to what bat6 said...stop by O'reilly, napa, or autozone and pick up a set of torx bits. its a T30, but its the type with a hollowed out end.

btw, be careful when disconnecting your airbag. you need to use a small flathead screwdriver to pop up the black tabs (be gentle) before you can remove the plugs. also, its a good idea to disconnect your battery before you unplug the airbag. make sure you center your steering wheel before you remove the bolt.

from turbocad's DIY
Originally Posted by Turbocad on infinitiscene.com
OK, first thing you need to do is loosen the 2 torx bolts that retain the airbag to the steering wheel. this is done easily if you do it first, so you can rotate the wheel for better access, but do not remove the airbag yet or even take the bolts fully out yet, you'll be able to do this after.there are 2 round plug covers on either side of the steering wheel, behind & on the side of the wheel. use a small flat screwdriver tip to pop the plugs out then loosen the 2 t30 torx screws... these are very tight & there is loc-tite on the threads so they are tight most of the way out. once the t30 bolts are both loosened center the steering wheel & the front wheels pointing straight forward, then as a safety measure, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!! if you don't, & you happened to accidentally turn the ign on while the airbag is unplugged, you will set a code & throw up an srs light. factory always recommends disconnecting the battery any time any airbag related item is serviced, so my official instructions are to disconnect the battery, although I usually don't myself.. if your careful you can get away without it really, but sometimes it's better safe than sorry.

the steering wheel should remain in the straight position throughout this process, first you will need to remove the 2 t30 screws you previously loosened, then the airbag will just lift right out of the steering wheel. there are 2 harnesses connected to the back of the airbag & they are pretty delicate, so don't pull hard on them or hang the bag from them... if you need to rest it down just sit it back in it's opening. the 2 plugs that connect the airbag are special locking connectors & they are delicate. you will see that there are black square plastic things in the center of each connector, these are the locks for the connection. if you don't release these locks you WILL damage the connector. these lacks are released by lifting the black square plastic things up, just slide a tiny screwdriver tip underneath the black plastic lock lift it up off the plug. it will not come all the way off, it will just click & lift up maybe a 1/4" & that's it, the lock is now released. you would then using the same small screwdriver tip just lift the plug out of the connection in the airbag... these need to come straight out, don't **** them sideways in an effort to remove them of you could easily damage them... it sounds scarier than it is, as long as your careful & don't force anything you'll be fine. once the 2 plugs are both unlocked & disconnected, remove the airbag & place it in a safe place.

now that the airbag is removed, you will see that there are 2 plugs that go from the steering wheel to the inner switch housing. they release with a tiny tab on the side that needs to be pushed in to wards the plug to release, push the tab in & while holding it in pull the plug out. once all the wiring is disconnected you can now remove the steering wheel. most cars require a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel, but I have done several of these Nissan wheels & never really needed a steering wheel puller. the center shaft is tapered in such a way that removal just by pulling & wiggling it back & forth should release the wheel. first loosen or remove the center nut, then pull straight back, but with a wiggling motion, IE; first pull the left, then the right, then the left again... this side to side pulling should release the wheel. if it's very tight & your afraid that your pulling so hard that when it releases it's going to fly up & hit yourself in the face, then thread the center nut back on a few threads, now, no matter how hard it releases, it will only pop back enough but the center nut will keep it on the shaft. you can then fully remove the center nut & remove the wheel & place it also in a safe place till re-assy.

Last edited by bigc; 09-27-2014 at 11:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bigc:
BowWizzel (09-30-2014), chrisjjlopez (10-18-2022)
Old 09-28-2014, 02:48 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes you need a T30 security torx bit as others have said.. they take a lot of muscle to get out.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Willing to jump into a job which requires handling a live bomb, yet uninformed enough to not even recognize basic fasteners associated with doing said job.
Really? Maybe you should make fun of the DIY where they describe needing a T30 fitting instead of what bit it really needed.

Thanks to those who gave an intelligent response. Will head to Sears this afternoon.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by bigc
+1 to what bat6 said...stop by O'reilly, napa, or autozone and pick up a set of torx bits. its a T30, but its the type with a hollowed out end.

btw, be careful when disconnecting your airbag. you need to use a small flathead screwdriver to pop up the black tabs (be gentle) before you can remove the plugs. also, its a good idea to disconnect your battery before you unplug the airbag. make sure you center your steering wheel before you remove the bolt.

from turbocad's DIY

Thanks, I've pulled airbags from several Miata's/Mini's but all of them just had regular bolts holding the airbag in. I always disconnect the airbag a couple hours ahead of time and tape the clockspring in place once I take the airbag out.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Once you disconnect the airbag from the main harness, it's pretty safe. It needs a 12V trigger at that point to set it off, it doesn't just go off on it's own.

I've had a few airbags laying around and occasionally me and some buddies will get drunk and pop them. Requires a pretty deliberate application of 12V to make them go.

BTW, mid 90's FOrd airbags....holy crap don't get into a car accident in one of those cars.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:12 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Once you disconnect the airbag from the main harness, it's pretty safe. It needs a 12V trigger at that point to set it off, it doesn't just go off on it's own.

I've had a few airbags laying around and occasionally me and some buddies will get drunk and pop them. Requires a pretty deliberate application of 12V to make them go.

BTW, mid 90's FOrd airbags....holy crap don't get into a car accident in one of those cars.
Hahaha sounds awesome

Old 10-01-2014, 10:38 AM
How far do those things shoot?

Old 10-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by tbear35
How far do those things shoot?
Well, here's one of those 90's Ford airbags i talked about

Old 10-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Woah. Not bad.

Anyway, finally got the bolts off and bezel replaced. Pretty simple.

Now need to replaced the door trim/bezels.