G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

What kind of noise does bad sway bar links make?

Old 10-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of noise does bad sway bar links make?

i'm getting a creaking noise that i've been trying to track down. i've replaced the sway bar bushings and had the brakes cleaned but the sound is still there.

interestingly, the sound goes away as the weather gets colder.

just wondering, could it be my sway bar links? does anyone know what kind of noise results from bad links?

Old 10-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
End links make a pop/crack.

The creak that's more prominent when its hot sounds like a poly bushing without proper lube. Do you have any poly bushings?

Old 10-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
End links make a pop/crack.

The creak that's more prominent when its hot sounds like a poly bushing without proper lube. Do you have any poly bushings?
it's an 07 sport model sedan, everything's stock. not sure if poly bushings are used anywhere in a stock setup.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:22 AM
this noise tends to be more noticeable when driving in underground garages where the ground has subtle dips.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Poly bushing make way more noise when it's cold! End links don't make noise, they crack! Buy yourself a can of Silicone Lubricant, spray all your bushings and see if that stops the noise. Silicone doesn't dry out like WD40 and lasts far longer...Gary

Old 10-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Poly bushing make way more noise when it's cold! End links don't make noise, they crack! Buy yourself a can of Silicone Lubricant, spray all your bushings and see if that stops the noise. Silicone doesn't dry out like WD40 and lasts far longer...Gary
had my sway bar bushings replaced (and greased) so i can rule that out. my front sway bar links were changed a few years ago, so they're probably ok. i'm thinking maybe the rear sway bar links?

could it be the control arm bushings? do you know what sort of noise bad control arm bushings would make?

Old 11-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Disconnect the end of the sway bar end links that is attached to the bar. Go for a drive--see if there is any noise.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:50 PM
You need to get your car on a rack and look for worn/loose suspension parts! The only time endlinks make any noise is when they're loose and it's super unusual to find a OE swaybar endlink loose. While I'm doing an oil change on my friends rack those are the things I check when I'm not cleaning...Gary

Old 11-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by mishmosh
Disconnect the end of the sway bar end links that is attached to the bar. Go for a drive--see if there is any noise.
Originally Posted by gary c
You need to get your car on a rack and look for worn/loose suspension parts! The only time endlinks make any noise is when they're loose and it's super unusual to find a OE swaybar endlink loose. While I'm doing an oil change on my friends rack those are the things I check when I'm not cleaning...Gary
i don't know if it's the end links, it's just a guess. but my noise is a creaking sound so i guess it's probably not the links.

what about bad control arm bushings, would that produce a creaking sound?

could it be a bad weld or sub frame bushing?

funny thing is the noise goes away when it's really cold outside.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:19 AM
My last post for this thread!

Originally Posted by nineiron
i don't know if it's the end links, it's just a guess. but my noise is a creaking sound so i guess it's probably not the links.
what about bad control arm bushings, would that produce a creaking sound? could it be a bad weld or sub frame bushing? funny thing is the noise goes away when it's really cold outside.
Suspension noises are impossible to pinpoint here on Driver, there's way to many possibilities! Find a good independent brake/alignment shop in your area, they'll find and fix whatever's making the noise.
Gary

Old 11-13-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I've had to replace my end links before because they were making noise. They have sealed bushings so it is hard to tell visually if they are failing.

In my case, it sounded like intake or exhaust tubing was hitting the frame of the car somewhere every time I went over a bump. I carefully traced all intake and exhaust tubing and couldn't find it. Finally someone told me they had a similar problem and it turned out to be their end links. Turned out my noise problem was the same.

Parts counter guys said he sells a lot of them to owners with lowered cars.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:20 AM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
How many miles are on your car? Just want to know

Old 11-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
how many miles are on your car? Just want to know

Old 11-14-2014, 09:14 AM
i'm starting to think it's not the sway bar links.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:20 PM
???
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q50
Originally Posted by nineiron
i'm getting a creaking noise that i've been trying to track down. i've replaced the sway bar bushings and had the brakes cleaned but the sound is still there.

interestingly, the sound goes away as the weather gets colder.

just wondering, could it be my sway bar links? does anyone know what kind of noise results from bad links?
Well I own a Q50, I figured out the clunking noise last year and it was from sway bar links so I changed and noised disappeared, but this year, currently, I can hear the noise coming again, so I will go to the shop and check it again, maybe sway bar links or other bushings. These suspension parts on Infiniti are suck!! But I drive the car every day, and my city's road is actually a piece of crap so it could happen again, but honestly the new part shouldn't be failed within just one year...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What kind of noise does bad sway bar links make?