G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

First day with my new 07 Black Obsidian G35S 6MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's an update, guys. The independent dealer agreed to pay for service on Monday. I picked up my G from the dealership this morning. I could definitely feel a difference in performance and the engine bay is a lot quieter. They also changed the oil and tranny fluid, shifting feels so much smoother. The cost for labor was 1380.00 and parts were 718.33. Here's a list of what was replaced

Old 12-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Hell yeah, man. This is great news for you. With the new upgraded version of the gasket, you're gonna be in great shape! Now you can really enjoy it.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Glad to see they took care of ya. Now go enjoy the car!

Old 12-18-2014, 09:15 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I hate to say it, but I'm seeing a few concerns (problems?) with that list.

Was this an Infiniti or Nissan dealership that did the work, or some independent shop? (EDIT: I see you said it was an independent)
Regardless, that invoice implies that the proper procedures listed in the FSM were not followed.

I'm seeing parts included that very likely didn't need replaced (like oil pressure switch, timing chains and tensioners), which is not a bad thing, just brings competence into question, as does the thought that they only list 2 of the 3 chains that are used. But then, what really concerns me here, is that I'm NOT seeing some critical parts that should be on there. Specifically, they don't list the camshaft cover seals (shown in this post: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ml#post6947392) which are not supposed to be reused, PLUS they only list one of current metal-reinforced oil gallery gaskets (that being the upper, pistol-shaped one). The lower one is not listed (this one:https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ml#post6953176). Instead, for the lower gasket, it looks as if they listed the older, inferior, paper type that had failed in the first place! I also wonder what gasket material they used to seal the out timing cover, as there is no special (Threebond type) form-a-gasket compound listed.

Maybe there's no problem here, and these items are just listed on the next page of the invoice, but it seems odd that they would have separated them that way if it is indeed the case. Anyway, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, if that is what has actually happened here, but I'd think you'd want to be informed and aware before time passes and any chance of addressing it is lost.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
I hate to say it, but I'm seeing a few concerns (problems?) with that list.

Was this an Infiniti or Nissan dealership that did the work, or some independent shop? (EDIT: I see you said it was an independent)
Regardless, that invoice implies that the proper procedures listed in the FSM were not followed.

I'm seeing parts included that very likely didn't need replaced (like oil pressure switch, timing chains and tensioners), which is not a bad thing, just brings competence into question, as does the thought that they only list 2 of the 3 chains that are used. But then, what really concerns me here, is that I'm NOT seeing some critical parts that should be on there. Specifically, they don't list the camshaft cover seals (shown in this post: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ml#post6947392) which are not supposed to be reused, PLUS they only list one of current metal-reinforced oil gallery gaskets (that being the upper, pistol-shaped one). The lower one is not listed (this one:https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ml#post6953176). Instead, for the lower gasket, it looks as if they listed the older, inferior, paper type that had failed in the first place! I also wonder what gasket material they used to seal the out timing cover, as there is no special (Threebond type) form-a-gasket compound listed.

Maybe there's no problem here, and these items are just listed on the next page of the invoice, but it seems odd that they would have separated them that way if it is indeed the case. Anyway, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, if that is what has actually happened here, but I'd think you'd want to be informed and aware before time passes and any chance of addressing it is lost.

The service was performed at a Herb Chambers Infiniti dealership here in MA, they also loaned me a 2015 Q50 The independent dealer I bought the car from paid for the service. I did notice some of the same things you noted. They replaced the timing chain because I told them I was hearing odd noises from that area of the engine. I reviewed the post by Infinitidude and yes, seems like they used the outdated lower gasket . Thing is, I printed out that entire post and had my service adviser hand it to the technician.
This was my first time getting major service at a dealership, whats the service warranty policy? Should I bring it back and tell them about this?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Also, I see that they performed services for the P0011 code only. They couldn't have missed it. I used 4 different OBD scanners and all 4 threw P0011 and P0021 codes

Old 12-19-2014, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Damndrew
The service was performed at a Herb Chambers Infiniti dealership here in MA, they also loaned me a 2015 Q50 The independent dealer I bought the car from paid for the service. I did notice some of the same things you noted. They replaced the timing chain because I told them I was hearing odd noises from that area of the engine. I reviewed the post by Infinitidude and yes, seems like they used the outdated lower gasket . Thing is, I printed out that entire post and had my service adviser hand it to the technician.
This was my first time getting major service at a dealership, whats the service warranty policy? Should I bring it back and tell them about this?
Well yes, I would definitely have a talk with them, as they apparently didn't follow the FSM for the repairs. It's all right there for them to see in their own book (ref: EM-48, item #24, O-ring with an "X" symbol, i.e. Always replace after every disassembly). Apparently, dealerships will attack the problem differently, but the end result should always be that the necessary parts were changed; either by replacing the required part directly, or replacing the next higher assembly which includes the required part. Judging from that invoice (at least for the camshaft cover seals), that does not appear to be the case here.

I suspect their defense will be that Infiniti does not actually list a part number for the seals; although Nissan does for the exact same engine. They should know this, and therefore at least replace the next higher assembly if they're not willing to use the Nissan part number for the seals. I suspect they did not because those parts list at around $600 each, and you need two of them. Bottom line, it appears to be that they cut corners where it counts, and added fluff where it most likely didn't.

It seems incongruent to me that they would be willing to replace just the oil gallery gaskets, as opposed to replacing the entire rear timing cover which contains the gaskets (which is a somewhat 'gutsy' repair method since Infiniti does not supply any torque spec for the screws nor the threadlock compound for the screws, and hence the safer method is to replace the next higher assembly, that being the rear cover), yet they would not replace just the cam cover seals in lieu of replacing the entire cam cover assemblies. Unfortunately, their solution appears to be that they just reused the old seals.

I truly hope they didn't use old stock for the lower oil gallery gasket as well. Hopefully that part number was (appropriately) superseded by their parts tech and the correct gasket was installed, but not recorded properly on the invoice.

Lastly, given that the P0011 and P0021 are both caused by leaking gaskets, addressing one will cure the other as well.

And even more lastest: I would suggest you speak directly to the service manager at the dealership. You may need to 'educate' him a bit, but he should see what's been done isn't right.

Last edited by vqsmile; 12-19-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The service was performed at a Herb Chambers Infiniti dealership here in MA, they also loaned me a 2015 Q50
RUNNNNNNN!!! I cannot say this enough. RUNNNN. I bought my car from this exact dealership (on Comm Ave, right?) and they are the LEAST competent shop I've ever associated with. Initial repairs on my last car ended up costing me thousands. Robert Hall, the service manager, is so unbelievably stingy, he will do whatever he can to screw you. I cannot be urgent enough about this. Use your 30 day trade-in to get a new car. After that, get it serviced at Kelly Infiniti or Infiniti of Norwood. At the very least, have it inspected at one of these dealerships, give them the service record, and pay them what they want to come up with a correct service and parts list. Then go back to HC and demand they fix it the right way. Herb Chambers is corporate as f*** and they will bend you over any opportunity they get.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:21 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Damn..this just got weird.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by NiFTiiNFiNiTi
RUNNNNNNN!!! I cannot say this enough. RUNNNN. I bought my car from this exact dealership (on Comm Ave, right?) and they are the LEAST competent shop I've ever associated with. Initial repairs on my last car ended up costing me thousands. Robert Hall, the service manager, is so unbelievably stingy, he will do whatever he can to screw you. I cannot be urgent enough about this. Use your 30 day trade-in to get a new car. After that, get it serviced at Kelly Infiniti or Infiniti of Norwood. At the very least, have it inspected at one of these dealerships, give them the service record, and pay them what they want to come up with a correct service and parts list. Then go back to HC and demand they fix it the right way. Herb Chambers is corporate as f*** and they will bend you over any opportunity they get.

Whoa this is serious. I know there are two HC Infiniti dealerships here in MA. I am located in Worcester and I went to the one on RT.9 Westborough. I concur with HC being corporate as all hell. I have a few friends who work as techs and service advisers for HC and they've witnessed him visiting their workplace in a Bugatti and even a helicopter Anyways, I will do some research and get to the bottom of this

Old 12-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Well yes, I would definitely have a talk with them, as they apparently didn't follow the FSM for the repairs. It's all right there for them to see in their own book (ref: EM-48, item #24, O-ring with an "X" symbol, i.e. Always replace after every disassembly). Apparently, dealerships will attack the problem differently, but the end result should always be that the necessary parts were changed; either by replacing the required part directly, or replacing the next higher assembly which includes the required part. Judging from that invoice (at least for the camshaft cover seals), that does not appear to be the case here.

I suspect their defense will be that Infiniti does not actually list a part number for the seals; although Nissan does for the exact same engine. They should know this, and therefore at least replace the next higher assembly if they're not willing to use the Nissan part number for the seals. I suspect they did not because those parts list at around $600 each, and you need two of them. Bottom line, it appears to be that they cut corners where it counts, and added fluff where it most likely didn't.

It seems incongruent to me that they would be willing to replace just the oil gallery gaskets, as opposed to replacing the entire rear timing cover which contains the gaskets (which is a somewhat 'gutsy' repair method since Infiniti does not supply any torque spec for the screws nor the threadlock compound for the screws, and hence the safer method is to replace the next higher assembly, that being the rear cover), yet they would not replace just the cam cover seals in lieu of replacing the entire cam cover assemblies. Unfortunately, their solution appears to be that they just reused the old seals.

I truly hope they didn't use old stock for the lower oil gallery gasket as well. Hopefully that part number was (appropriately) superseded by their parts tech and the correct gasket was installed, but not recorded properly on the invoice.

Lastly, given that the P0011 and P0021 are both caused by leaking gaskets, addressing one will cure the other as well.

And even more lastest: I would suggest you speak directly to the service manager at the dealership. You may need to 'educate' him a bit, but he should see what's been done isn't right.

Vqsmile, I greatly appreciate the information you have given me. I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for your expertise. I have asked the service adviser if they replace the cam seals and I am still waiting for a response. Also, I noticed something different. Since its cold up here in MA, I often start the car and warm it up for 10 mins and when I hop back in, I could smell a gasoline/exhaust fume type odor. This has never happened prior to the repairs.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Damn..this just got weird.

Very weird. I was excited for the repairs and now I'm just like

Old 12-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Vqsmile, I greatly appreciate the information you have given me. I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for your expertise. I have asked the service adviser if they replace the cam seals and I am still waiting for a response. Also, I noticed something different. Since its cold up here in MA, I often start the car and warm it up for 10 mins and when I hop back in, I could smell a gasoline/exhaust fume type odor. This has never happened prior to the repairs.
There's a lot of potential causes, but my first thoughts lean toward eliminating the easiest first. How much running time has the engine had since the repair work was done? Could it be that it's still just the oil / form-a-gasket material / solvents, etc that they used which are curing and burning off the engine.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
just bring it back and have them check everything over.