G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Bulletproof so far

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bulletproof so far

I was reading the list of issues members post about and realized perhaps like many, my '08 G35X has not had one mechanical issue after 6 1/2 yrs and 65,000 miles. Not one thing. The only non-mechanical issues have been replacing steering wheel and door pull trims and the OEM Eagle RS-A's wore out after 29k and the last 20k I felt every road imperfection (36k on my Michelin Primacy's with a way better ride and plenty of tread left). That's it.

Wondering how many others have not had any mechanical issues with their 07-08's. Obviously at some point parts will wear out but it's been a great car to date.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have owned mine since 70k and I am at 100k now. I had my a/c sieze on me but that was the only thing other than standard maintenance and performance stuff

Old 11-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Our 07 that I had w/ 6k miles through 45k miles had no issues other than the TSBs that the dealer applied. Sold it to a friend who now has 100k and only issue was a battery, brake pads, and a couple sets of tires.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:00 AM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
I am coming up on 70k and no real issues that I caused. I am also supercharged and pretty much heavily modded.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:34 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
I have 72k on my 2007 G35x

Rear left Brake Caliper seized at about 60k miles. Covered under elite warranty
A/C Compressor failed at 70k miles. Covered under elite warranty

Solid other than that.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
At about 70,500 miles now on a '08 G35S 6MT.

Nothing but regular maintenance and fluid change, except for the LED of the clock starts flickering ... :annoyed:

Old 11-24-2014, 07:10 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
That's all well and good guys, but as far as I'm concerned, every one of you guys should have your oil pressure checked nonetheless. If my own experience is any indication, it is entirely possible to be driving around, symptom free, and completely unaware that you have dangerously low oil pressure. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I'd sure want to know ASAP if there was any chance I wasn't getting proper OP. If you do happen to be one of the unlucky ones (and the list is ever growing), you could wait until it becomes bad enough to screw up the valve timing and throw a CEL, but why wait until then?

(treach, you beat me to it)

The following users liked this post:
blnewt (11-24-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 07:14 AM
Oil Pressure check?

Originally Posted by vqsmile
That's all well and good guys, but as far as I'm concerned, every one of you guys should have your oil pressure checked nonetheless. If my own experience is any indication, it is entirely possible to be driving around, symptom free, and completely unaware that you have dangerously low oil pressure. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I'd sure want to know ASAP if there was any chance I wasn't getting proper OP. If you do happen to be one of the unlucky ones (and the list is ever growing), you could wait until it becomes bad enough to screw up the valve timing and throw a CEL, but why wait until then?

I never heard of this issue on the G and don't know how it's checked. Is it something my mechanic does? What's the general cost? Thanks.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Old 11-25-2014, 08:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile

While I understand the concern, the G motor has been in US production since 2002 (with some modifications, of course) averaging 50,000+ sales per year. making it 600,000 units sold (very conservative estimation, actually should be much more considering its placement in other Infiniti models). Besides the car enthusiast forums, how many people, you think, are aware of this problem? Yes, it's known issue here, but it's not a ticking bomb that would affect every owner sooner or later. Furthermore, statistically it's not an issue at all (despite it can happen, as everything else in any car). Regarding the beginning of this topic,. this is my second G. the first one, 2004 got almost 70k without a single problem (pads/rotors not counted, as a normal wear although rotors are the weakest link there). The current one, 2008 G35 has 115000 miles, also trouble free. The car runs like new. I was waiting for a replacement (aka Q50) but after its last year introduction found it lost the G's fun and value, will be waiting for something more interesting.

The following users liked this post:
willdogs (11-26-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by stevesg35

I never heard of this issue on the G and don't know how it's checked. Is it something my mechanic does? What's the general cost? Thanks.
Any decent mechanic should be able to perform an OP test in under an hour. Hourly labor rates will vary. The procedure is also clearly specified in the FSM.

Originally Posted by galperj

While I understand the concern, the G motor has been in US production since 2002 (with some modifications, of course) averaging 50,000+ sales per year. making it 600,000 units sold (very conservative estimation, actually should be much more considering its placement in other Infiniti models). Besides the car enthusiast forums, how many people, you think, are aware of this problem? Yes, it's known issue here, but it's not a ticking bomb that would affect every owner sooner or later. Furthermore, statistically it's not an issue at all (despite it can happen, as everything else in any car). Regarding the beginning of this topic,. this is my second G. the first one, 2004 got almost 70k without a single problem (pads/rotors not counted, as a normal wear although rotors are the weakest link there). The current one, 2008 G35 has 115000 miles, also trouble free. The car runs like new. I was waiting for a replacement (aka Q50) but after its last year introduction found it lost the G's fun and value, will be waiting for something more interesting.
I hear what you're saying, and I hope it proves to be true in the long run. Let me offer a few counterpoints and clarifications though:

The HR motor has only been used since the '07 model year, so including all the previous iterations dilutes the potential frequency of failure occurrence.

The very fact that the failure can exist without any outward symptoms is (obviously) not at all inconsistent with the vast majority of owners being unaware and is, in fact, precisely the what makes this particular failure all the more insidious.

I believe it remains to be seen how these motors hold up over time. I suspect time is more a factor here than actual mileage as far as gasket breakdown. The "timebomb" factor may well turn out to be unsubstantiated, and I truly hope it does, but until the verdict is in, do you want to be the owner blithely driving around in a vehicle with poor OP?

Old 11-26-2014, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't mind get an oil press and temp gauge ... I just have no idea where to mount it.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
Originally Posted by stevesg35
The only non-mechanical issues have been replacing steering wheel and door pull trims
were those covered under warranty? i have scratching at the door pulls, but steering wheel seems OK.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
same here 07 g35x just hit 90k got it when it had 70k no problem what so ever just had to replace battery.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
were those covered under warranty? i have scratching at the door pulls, but steering wheel seems OK.
I got the entire steering wheel replaced at 47 months b/c of a small patch of worn trim. Crazy the trim piece could not be replaced. Did not try with the door pools as it was outside warranty. But I bought the pieces online for $70 and my indy charged me $28 to replace both.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bulletproof so far