G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Maddening Rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maddening Rattle

I have a rattle that I've been trying to track down for a year now. It seems to be different than the other rattle thread that was recently updated so I wanted to make a new thread.

Here's what's going on. There is a constant rattle coming from the passenger side, maybe the pillar between the front and back door on the passenger side. It happens constantly at freeway speed, unless I'm driving on an exceptionally smooth road. It wouldn't be unusual for it to happen constantly for 50+ miles on the freeway.

I recorded a video to capture the audio. Obviously there is road noise but you should be able to pick up the rattle. It almost sounds like rain. Playing th video on my iPhone makes the sound move obviously than on my ipad, I don't know why.

Any ideas on this? I have brand new rear tires and a 4 tire alignment. The front tires still have maybe 25% useful life on them, and were recently inspected for any tread separation etc.

It's really tough to pinpoint the source. I feel like it's the front passenger door or the pillar between the front and back passenger door, but maybe it's the roof on that side?

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you have a sport with active head restraint? On mine the female slots that accept the headrest posts rattle inside the seat with the lever that pushes against it.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Impossible to tell from the video but I have a similar rattle in the location you specified and I know where mine is.

The left sunroof rail has a loose bolt or something and occasionally it rattles. When I put the sunroof all the way back and it puts weigh on the rails, the rattle goes away.

I saw a DIY on here where a guy cut a hole under the oh-****-handle and found the bolt and screwed it down and then put a plug in there, he did a great job.

You can also take the headliner off to get to it.

I am too lazy for both of those so I either have the sunroof open or the music slappin. But anyways, check it out with sunroof all the way open, obv it will be louder with wind noise but try and listen for that specific rattle when its all the way back.

Let us know!

_Michael

Old 02-14-2015, 11:42 AM
Unfortunately the sun roof position doesn't seem to have any effect on it.

It is the sport sedan. I'm not familiar with active head rests, can you please explain a bit? Or is this just the posts that go down into th seat back?

Thanks for the input!

Old 02-15-2015, 08:57 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It's designed to tilt the headrest forward when you get rear ended. It's nothing high tech. When you get rear ended your *** will get pushed backward. There are some lever arms inside the seat so when your *** pushes back the headrest tilts forward.

Just push and pull on the pass headrest when you're driving and you'll know if this is the source.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TXT, I have the same issue on my 08 G35 Journey. For me it really depends on the road condition. If its a rough road then I do hear the exact same noise you are hearing, but if I am on the smooth surface then I have no sound/vibration coming up. I talked to the dealer about it but the want to charge me to look at it and if they dont find it them im out of the money. I figured someday someone will figure out what it is and post a fix. Sorry I couldn't help but I wanted to let you know I am on the same boat as you with this one.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:32 PM
Still having this rattle. I've since replaced the front tires and let the dealer drive the car for a full week and they couldn't reproduce the issue. It seems to only happen on certain highway stretches (405 freeway in the Los Angeles area, for example)

It's driving me nuts. I think I am going to sell the car if I can't figure this out soon. If anyone has any ideas at all please chime in...

Old 01-31-2016, 09:00 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
Did you ever remove your headliner to check the bolts up there? That solved a rattle that had bugged me for years. There are easily two dozen 10mm bolts up there and they can work themselves loose after a while.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:05 AM
I haven't.. How difficult is that to do? Should I let the dealer do it? Also, when you put it back, does it look 100% the same? At this point I'm really considering resale value so I would hate to mess it up.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Wings Nation

^ Its very straightforward - this DIY shows you how to do it:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...r-removal.html

If you are careful and take your time the headliner will look fine when you reinstall it.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:28 PM
It looks like that DIY is for the previous generation car. Is it the same in the V36?

Old 02-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Wings Nation

Should be similar, but let me poke around for a DIY for your generation (will look on myg37.com too).

The following users liked this post:
TXTBOOK (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 05:31 PM
Very nice of you! Thank you.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:42 PM
Wings Nation

^ i've attached the Interior section of the factory service manual for a 2008 sedan. the procedure to remove the headliner is towards the back. there's also a section on getting rid of rattles towards the front of the manual

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
INT.pdf (1.33 MB, 76 views)
Old 02-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get a rattle from that area, its my passanger seat. When I hear it, i push the upper part of the passanger seat and the rattle will go away. Havent figured out a fix, i think the upper portion of the seat is loose over time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Maddening Rattle