G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Two questions about my 08 G35x

Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two questions about my 08 G35x

Hi, I have two random questions about my car.

First of all, it's making a weird noise when accelerating. I've read through a bunch of other posts about weird noises, but can't decide if any of them sound like the same thing I'm dealing with. It never makes the sound while idling or driving at a steady speed, only when accelerating. Initially it sounded like little pebbles flipping up and hitting under my car. Now it sometimes sounds like it's popping, and sometimes sounds like a creaking noise. Any idea what that might be? I feel like it might be somewhere in the exhaust, but I can't tell. Because it doesn't do it while idling it's hard to locate. Sometimes when it makes the popping sound you can feel it under your feet. To me it sounds like it's coming from the rear, drivers side of the car, but when my wife rides in the car she feels like it's coming from right under her feet. It doesn't always happen, but often, and seems like it's becoming more often.

Second, I know there are a million posts asking about mods. Right now I have the K&N SRI, and I'm thinking of getting the Takeda CAI. My main question is if I'll feel a difference in performance by switching to the CAI. But I'm also wondering if the splash shield will affect the performance because it seems like it would block a lot of the air coming in. It does rain and snow where I live, so I think I'd need the shield. From what I understand, the SRI is probably reducing HP, and the CAI should increase it. So I'm thinking there should be a noticeable difference in power if I were to switch, but I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure.

Thank you.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:27 PM
I should have also mentioned, I have the Ark Grip True Dual exhaust.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sound you're hearing when accelerating could be the heat shields on your catalytic converters. They tend to get corroded from the salt on the roads, I don't know if this applies to where you live but you should check it out to make sure.

The following users liked this post:
pnancollas (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Regarding the sound, if you are not getting a code then keep driving and DW about it.

For your mods, if you aren't doing a tune with it, you'll be lucky not to loss any power... All the advertised power gains for stuff like a intake, they are based on that you do the bolt on but you also do a tune.

pnancollas (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 11:39 AM
Thank you for the replies. I got an Osiris tune after installing the K&N SRI and Ark Exhaust. Based on what I've read on here though it seems like the SRI is making my car lose power over the stock intakes, but a CAI should increase the power, even if just a little. So it seems like going from a SRI to a CAI would make a bigger difference than going from stock to a CAI. I'm just trying to decide whether or not to replace my SRI with the Takeda CAI, and if I'll feel a noticeable difference in power, then I'll do it. If not, then I won't worry about it. I don't necessarily care what difference it will make in the actual horsepower, I just want to know if I'll be able to feel that difference while driving.

I would assume if I switch to the CAI I wouldn't need to have it tuned again, or would I? Also, my car was tuned in New Jersey and I'm now living in Utah. Is there any reason I should get my car tuned again anyway just because I'm at a different altitude now with a slightly different climate?

Old 02-23-2015, 06:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The ecu will adjust to varying exterior conditions so you do not need a new tune just because you moved. That would become quite tedious if you did.

pnancollas (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think you will really see any gains with an intake change. These cars are not subject to any real gains with any simple bolt ons; intake, exhaust, etc. Seems to be more of a matter if you want it on to say you "have these mods" or just want to hear more noise when driving.

pnancollas (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 PM
As far as noise goes, the CAI would probably sound worse and higher pitched than my SRI. But it should still sound good, so I wouldn't really care. From what I understand, a CAI can realistically add 10-15 hp if you get a tune. I also understand that my SRI is probably taking away 5 hp. So my thought is that because my car has already been tuned, switching from an SRI to a CAI would add 15-20 hp. That seems like enough that I should expect to feel a difference, but I don't know.