G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

New here.. Thinking about buying an 08 G35 with 77k miles.. Tomorrow. Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
huh finding this issue has turned me off of these cars pretty bad. As a diy job it'll take a full day or more it's looking like. and I'm not down to buy a car that'll likely land me with a $1500+ repair bill real fast. I'm gonna look into purchasing warranties etc, but it's looking like I might look at a different car completely after finding all this info

Old 03-22-2015, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by GODMODE
huh finding this issue has turned me off of these cars pretty bad. As a diy job it'll take a full day or more it's looking like. and I'm not down to buy a car that'll likely land me with a $1500+ repair bill real fast. I'm gonna look into purchasing warranties etc, but it's looking like I might look at a different car completely after finding all this info
I feel the same. But what other car is in our category with the same performance, luxury, and looks? WRX are out the league, since you can't find one with under 100k miles or not modified until you hit the 18-20gs. I don't know. After this repair, if that is the only problem, than it might be worth it as I heard its still a great car.

I think of it as, there are plenty of VQ35HR's out there (the 35s, 350zs, etc) , and h ow many of those hev failed? Who knows, but not enough to gain lots of information or videos besides the other thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:14 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Don't forget that it is still a relatively small portion of all HR and VHR engines out there that this has occurred in though. True, they all carry the same paper gasket, but at this point, the odds are still in your favor. It's just that the high cost of a being one of the unlucky ones, and the relative ease of early detection, makes it prudent to ensure you're not buying into an immediate problem.

Originally Posted by vqsmile

No, I'm 100% stock. ...
Originally Posted by G35.JETLife

Do you have a build log here?
What build?

Old 03-22-2015, 11:16 PM
When this actually happens, what are you techniqually replacing? Which gasket? And would privately owned / family owned shops know how to do it without reading the manual? Or do they need to be certified in Infiniti cars.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:21 PM
well, at least if I do look at these cars I know to get the oil pressure tested. The other cars I'm looking into are 328i's or 335i's, but I was leaning towards the g35 for reliability issue's I've found with the BMW's, looks like there is no winning in this price range/ category with used sport sedans. Seeing some of those pictures of disintigrated gaskets makes me cringe, as does reading through the fsm of what's required to get to these little gaskets.

Here's the part of the FSM that has info on tearing it down. Not an easy job by any stretch. Essentially a full tear down of the timing components
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2008/EM.pdf

Old 03-22-2015, 11:32 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
well, at least if I do look at these cars I know to get the oil pressure tested. The other cars I'm looking into are 328i's or 335i's, but I was leaning towards the g35 for reliability issue's I've found with the BMW's, looks like there is no winning in this price range/ category with used sport sedans. Seeing some of those pictures of disintigrated gaskets makes me cringe, as does reading through the fsm of what's required to get to these little gaskets.

Here's the part of the FSM that has info on tearing it down. Not an easy job by any stretch. Essentially a full tear down of the timing components
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2008/EM.pdf
Just to be clear, removing the rear timing cover is not necessary for simply replacing the gaskets, so unless you're doing the full blow dealership approach to gasket replacement, which is to replace the entire rear timing cover assembly (which contains the oil galleries, their gaskets, and the covers), then the full tear down of timing gear is NOT required. In the "dreaded codes" thread here, "Infintidude" (The thread's creator and an Infinti service tech himself) describes how to replace just the discrete oil gallery gaskets, thereby saving numerous hours and avoids a quantum step up in complexity for the repair.

Also, if you do your homework, you'll find lots of horror stories about buying used BMW 335's. (As if just buying a used BMW in general wasn't enough )

Old 03-23-2015, 03:54 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
This is really the only major problem for those motors, so that's a plus. However, if you want to remove all doubt, get an 06. Its pre-HR, VERY similarly styled, no noticeable power difference and more options as far as modding. If you get a 6spd, you will risk burning oil, however it is easy to figure out if its an oil burner, and if its not, you're good to go. No "future worries".

Old 03-23-2015, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
This is really the only major problem for those motors, so that's a plus. However, if you want to remove all doubt, get an 06. Its pre-HR, VERY similarly styled, no noticeable power difference and more options as far as modding. If you get a 6spd, you will risk burning oil, however it is easy to figure out if its an oil burner, and if its not, you're good to go. No "future worries".
I think i just came to the conclusion Ill just pay the $2,000 from the dealership. Does this include replacing the timing like you said they have to do? (Not you as in YOU personally, but to vq ^^) . Its just the I like the body style of the V36 way better. At a pop and moms shop, can the gasket be replaced for less than 1400$?

Old 03-23-2015, 04:44 AM
Originally Posted by G35.JETLife
I think i just came to the conclusion Ill just pay the $2,000 from the dealership. Does this include replacing the timing like you said they have to do? (Not you as in YOU personally, but to vq ^^) . Its just the I like the body style of the V36 way better. At a pop and moms shop, can the gasket be replaced for less than 1400$?
For a job like that I would go dealer only, and BE SURE they use the revised gasket when being replaced.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:12 PM

What do you plan to do

Old 03-24-2015, 12:17 AM
I'm looking at mazdaspeed3's, no doubt the G35 is a much nicer, but I'd always be worried about this issue if I got one. I'm also looking at 2010+ gti's, subaru legacy gt's, and dodge charger rt's. I had a mustang GT already, and I won't ever find one as clean or low milage as the one I had, so I refuse to even look at them again haha. 2010+ GTI's, and 07-09 MS3's are the two I'm looking the hardest at though. I prefer the MS3 just because they're easier to get power out of, and the premium package is actually has great seats imo, and they're all 4 door and manual. Most of the GTI's I'm finding are 2 door, and it's about half and half auto/ manual. Looking at similar miles and prices as the G35's

Old 03-24-2015, 12:38 AM
I'm looking at mazdaspeed3's, no doubt the G35 is a much nicer, but I'd always be worried about this issue if I got one. I'm also looking at 2010+ gti's, subaru legacy gt's, and dodge charger rt's. I had a mustang GT already, and I won't ever find one as clean or low milage as the one I had, so I refuse to even look at them again haha. 2010+ GTI's, and 07-09 MS3's are the two I'm looking the hardest at though. I prefer the MS3 just because they're easier to get power out of, and the premium package is actually has great seats imo, and they're all 4 door and manual. Most of the GTI's I'm finding are 2 door, and it's about half and half auto/ manual. Looking at similar miles and prices as the G35's
I'm a speed3 fan. My buddy has one and we work on it all the time. Its no walk in the park tho, believe me. We work on his much much more than on mine. And be prepared to have a hard time finding parts too. His was on jacks for 2 weeks trying to find the driver side drive axle. Its got limited slip so its not compatible with the regular 3.

Also, watch out for motors blowing up due to lack of fuel delivery when modding for power. Gotta upgrade the fuel pump piston before you start modding, then the upgraded piston wear on the cam lobe and that can cause engine failure too.

Also, injector rings are crap, and the suspension falls apart. Paint is pretty cheap too. Once you get all the kinks worked out, its a fast, fun car, but nothing compared to the G as far as reliability.

These were made to run with wrxs, but on a budget and that shows once you start peeling back the layers. It could definitely be in sti territory, but for the price you'd have to pay to get it there, might as well buy an sti.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 AM
yeah I know all the issues with the MS3, they're all issues that pop up with modding, and easy cheap fixes is what I like, and the fact that you can mod for more power easily. G35's seem very limited without $8k FI haha, but they make 40-100 more hp stock than any of the other cars besides the charger. But the chargers are just not very nice imo.
on the other hand, the 2010+ gti's are extremely reliable, and well built from the couple I've ridden in/ driven. Stock they're very tame as far as power goes, but it's the same story as the MS3. Throw a tune, a downpipe, and intake on it for $1000 and you've got a pretty quick car. Funny enough I got a quote from my insurance on GTI's, and MS3's, the 3-4 year newer GTI's cost me about $260 a year less in insurance than the MS3. Safety rating, hp rating etc I guess. The GTI is also rated a few mpg better. Plus having a 4 year newer car, for the same price or slightly more is a pretty good deal too. Still not a huge fan of the 2 door look. But, the price's on them used are great, the mpg is great, everything I've looked into show's that the TSI solid motor. It might not contend with tuned STI's, but it'll kill stock WRX's, and give most v6's a run for their money at least. Won't be a month or two til I'm actually looking to buy, and I'm still gonna go test drive G35's, and see what I like the most

Old 03-24-2015, 01:36 AM
If modding is like "your thing", I wouldn't go ahead with a G. We all do what we can, but for the most part we're grasping at straws. The VQ is so highly tuned from factory, we spend a lot of money on very little return. It is what it is tho, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in its class. These things still turn heads even 10yrs later and even tho everyone already knows what it is. If you get one, believe me, you'll be looking back at it every single time you walk away from it. I've had mine for bout 4 years and I still look at it all the time like, " dayyyum".

Old 03-24-2015, 01:44 AM
I agree, and there's nothing close to them in their price range in the used car market either. That's what turned me onto them in the first place. I'm actually trying to tone down on the modding, has cost me too much money on the last few vehicles. But opening up the exhaust, and throwing on a tune for 50-60 more hp or ft lb's is too easy and rewarding to resist on a turbo car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New here.. Thinking about buying an 08 G35 with 77k miles.. Tomorrow. Advice?