G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Paddle Shifters, worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
And I will never be a butterfly.....

I want to get them but at the right price. I know it would be just for looks. They look great and sporty.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be getting mine soon. Nothing wrong with taking a cool car and making it more fun.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:47 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I've used paddle shifters on my best buds '13 Camaro and honestly I don't see the appeal too much. I don't have them in my G so I just use the gear stick for tiptronic, I like the feedback and drivetrain vibration you feel through it.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Judging by most opinions ive heard im guessing i got lucky with my 08 g35s with the 6mt. Found it with 75k miles and completely stock. Makes me love my car even more!

Old 05-08-2015, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paddle Shifters

I added these to my 2008 G35 Journey five years ago. They were the first upgrade on this car. Very happy with the decision. I use them all the time, as in, exclusively. I get much more control over how fast I can speed up, how quickly I can slow down, save gas by anticipating hills, or come out of a tight turn with power to accelerate quickly -- many of the same reasons people prefer MT over AT. Granted it isn't an equivalent to a MT, but it is a huge improvement over a stock AT, where you are basically forced to accomplish all of these tasks by mashing your foot on the gas or brake only.

These are the best paddles I've had. I saw a few posts from those who prefer it when the paddles are mounted to the steering wheel --- I prefer these ones instead because they are mounted to the steering column. I find that when they are mounted to the wheel, it is hard to upshift and downshift when the steering wheel is turning (so depending on where you are in your turn or how sharp you are turning, up might be down and vice versa). With the shifters in the G35, the left/right paddle is always in the same place, so I don't have to go hunting for it.

Definitely worth the $$$.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by ahrajani
I added these to my 2008 G35 Journey five years ago. They were the first upgrade on this car. Very happy with the decision.
... Definitely worth the $$$.

Good to hear. I ordered a set from a salvage yard and they will arrive on Monday. I'll report back impressions once I install them.

Justin

Old 05-12-2015, 10:43 AM
I received the paddle shifters yesterday and they went in without a hitch. The dude at the salvage yard shipped me the whole steering column, steering wheel, etc. 42lbs of stuff cause he didn't want to be bothered with removing the paddles and shroud. That's ok cause I may be able to sell the extra steering wheel and offset the cost slightly.

I have decided that the paddles are fun when you are flooring it, or in the twisties. Definitely a better feel than the stick gear selector but they won't get used much while commuting. I went out and flogged it a bit on a twisty country road near my house last night. (Funny cause I passed the Po-Po on the way home right after I slowed down. Doh!) Anyway, it was fun and the paddles look great in the car. Total cost was $200 shipped, not bad considering new they are $390 + shipping for the graphite color scheme. Overall I am happy with the mod.

I also spent about an hour making and installing a grounding kit following these instructions:

http://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-in...-your-own.html

It may be my imagination, but it does seems like it has slightly better (brighter) audio quality, quicker shifts, and it even seems to idle better. Why not. If a bad ground can make things runs poorly or not at all, an overly good ground should be a good thing. Anyway it was easy to do. I got black wire so it looks pretty clean. Total cost for the homemade grounding kit was $17. Can't complain.

Still diggin' the G.

Justin

Old 05-16-2015, 06:40 AM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Glad you like the paddle shifters. They are fun in the twisties, but really no use when on the interstate at cruise in heavy traffic, where you can only go with the flow.

I definitely noticed louder stereo and quicker shifts with the grounding wire kit. Watch out, there are some on here that vehemently claim that grounding kits do no good whatsoever... even though they've never installed one.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:54 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
The serve no actual function whatsoever other than fun. If you think you would enjoy using them, then do it.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:38 AM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
I use my paddles every time I'm in my G. You guys need to live a little!

Old 05-18-2015, 07:32 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
When I want to live a little I ride my CBR1100XX. I have a shift mode, on the floor, if I choose. I just prefer to let the car think for me, while I try to stay safe and away from all the other idiots on the road. And try not to be one myself.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:42 AM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
what car are they off of, what year?
I didn't see this post Joker, they were off of a 2011 370Z. But from what I understand there is (was) only one Nissan part number for paddles, not sure if that is still the case.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
I didn't see this post Joker, they were off of a 2011 370Z. But from what I understand there is (was) only one Nissan part number for paddles, not sure if that is still the case.
I own a 05 5AT Sedan as well, and I was wondering how much time/$$ did it take to get the Paddles to work with your car? I've always wanted paddles on the G since I got the car.

Thanks,

J

Old 05-28-2015, 11:58 AM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by TaroBaapG35
I own a 05 5AT Sedan as well, and I was wondering how much time/$$ did it take to get the Paddles to work with your car? I've always wanted paddles on the G since I got the car.

Thanks,

J
I've been looking for a candidate to take on installing my paddle shifters since I am now 6MT.

To do it all yourself, days.

Since I have already made the control module, figured out the wiring, modified the paddles, modified the column covers, and where to tap into for power you could install my "kit" in 3 hours or so.

I've been wanting to send someone my kit including everything needed to install in return for some cash and un-modified column covers. You down? I'd be there via text to support the install.

My covers were modified pretty well I'd say; most people think they came stock and when I tell them I did it all they still agree that they can't see the difference between the painted covers and the OEM black plastic. Let me know.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
I've been looking for a candidate to take on installing my paddle shifters since I am now 6MT.

To do it all yourself, days.

Since I have already made the control module, figured out the wiring, modified the paddles, modified the column covers, and where to tap into for power you could install my "kit" in 3 hours or so.

I've been wanting to send someone my kit including everything needed to install in return for some cash and un-modified column covers. You down? I'd be there via text to support the install.

My covers were modified pretty well I'd say; most people think they came stock and when I tell them I did it all they still agree that they can't see the difference between the painted covers and the OEM black plastic. Let me know.

Since I am limited on time I was going to get a local shop to do the install for me. Let me call the 2iish shops around here and find out the labor charge seeing as how you have everything else (instructions, wiring..etc).

I'll get back to you. PM Me how much for everything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters, worth it?