G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Door Bezel fix - Plasti Dip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 10:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Door Bezel fix - Plasti Dip

Just like nearly everyone else with an 07 G35, I had the dreaded peeling door bezel problem. I had read here that someone had used Plasti Dip. Worked great for me - thought I'd share some pics & process, since I never ran across any pictures.

I first attempted to remove the stock coating in a sand blasting cabinet. Quickly found that that wasn't going to work - sand just bounced off the rubbery coating! Ended up wet sanding with 200 grit. Anything less just didn't have enough purchase....

Weirdly enough - you'll see that there's black underneath the gray. Ironic. Not necessary to remove the gray. Wipe off with some wax & oil remover and it's time for paint!

Painting goes pretty quickly - can says 30 min between coats. Under 100º Texas heat, more like 20.... 3 would have done it, 4 to be sure.

In about an hour, they're dry enough to handle carefully & reinstall. Seems pretty durable so far. No marks after a couple of days. Already have lasted twice as long as my last new set! Not an exact match, but look much better. A little gripper and not quite as shiny. Only another G owner would notice. The pics look grayish but they ARE black.

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
looks nice, but does it feel nice? i painted my grill in plastidip, but not sure about the durability while touching it all the time?

Old 08-11-2015, 12:27 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
looks nice, but does it feel nice? i painted my grill in plastidip, but not sure about the durability while touching it all the time?
Plasti-dip is intended to coat/grip tools...which are handled all the time. Durability shouldn't be an issue. And if it is, re-spraying it is easy.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (08-11-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 05:01 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mine peeled off on the passenger side because other people obviously don't know to take care around plastidip and I'm not gonna be that guy that says "be gentle on the door handle please", lol. Drivers side was fine. I just went ahead and color matched them to the exterior color since it's much more durable with clear coat and all.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
It's not bad... A bit rougher than before but relatively soft, not hard at all. But I didn't touch mine all that much before in fear of it peeling. Haven't noticed any change in appearance. I scratched an inconspicuous spot earlier and nothing came off - which the stock coated part definitely would have left a mark down to the gray layer...

Old 08-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Calvin
Plasti-dip is intended to coat/grip tools...which are handled all the time. Durability shouldn't be an issue. And if it is, re-spraying it is easy.
That was my thought - I was afraid that I should have gone to progressively finer grits of sandpaper to smooth it out, but the Plasti Dip filled in whatever marks I may have put in the plastic. It should stay put, since I sanded off all the old coating and it had a roughed surface to adhere to...

Old 08-11-2015, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Mine peeled off on the passenger side because other people obviously don't know to take care around plastidip and I'm not gonna be that guy that says "be gentle on the door handle please", lol. Drivers side was fine. I just went ahead and color matched them to the exterior color since it's much more durable with clear coat and all.
I was the guy saying that - my "new" ones looked 10 years old after carrying around passengers for 1 afternoon. Not the case so far. I did think about painting & clearing but thought that this would better accept abuse - since it's rubbery and it's used to dip tool handles... If it stays, I may do my steering wheel eventually, but it's not too bad at the moment.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:54 PM
Update - over a month since application. No change in appearance. Seems good to go for the long term with no special care needed.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bolt

Originally Posted by skippyG
Update - over a month since application. No change in appearance. Seems good to go for the long term with no special care needed.
Do you by any chance still have the older pulley adjustment bolt?

Old 01-25-2016, 01:18 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by YoungGuwap

Do you by any chance still have the older pulley adjustment bolt?