G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Homelink acting up

Old 12-28-2015, 12:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Homelink acting up

So when I try to open my garage door with the home link it often doesn't work until I'm RIGHT up next to the door - we're talking less than a foot. It never used to do that. Has this happened to anyone else? Thoughts?
Thanks

Old 12-28-2015, 11:37 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Nope, never happened in 8-1/2 years. Look for any problem with the antenna on the garage door opener. If worse comes to worst, a used replacement rear view mirror (with HomeLink) isn't that expensive.

Typical:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2013-NI...hWbhh~&vxp=mtr

Old 12-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumping this up.

I am having the same issue. Garage door opened fine for about 4 years, as far away as down the street. Suddenly, I have been having to drive all the way up to the door for it to work, and even at that, half the time the door will not open at all. Had to get into the house and open the garage from inside yesterday. But then this morning, it opened from the mirror with no problem, but took several tries to close, but eventually did. What is it causing the intermittent problem?

I do use the button on the mirror to turn off the darken/fade feature almost every day as I sit in the car and apply makeup before work. When I turn on the overhead interior lights, I turn off the darkening feature. Maybe that is contributing to wearing out the mirror and is causing the garage door opener function to fail?

Old 12-02-2016, 11:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There's 3 Homelink buttons. Have you tried programming one of the other 2 Homelink buttons to open the door?

Old 12-02-2016, 11:51 AM
I have two garage doors on a 3-car garage, so one button is programmed for the 2-car door, a second button is programmed to the 1-car door, and the third button is not programmed to anything. Neither of the programmed buttons would work. I could try programming the third button.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Gotcha. I assume both doors are having this same issue? If so I don't know that programming the 3rd button will change much but it's worth a shot.

Just out of curiosity did you replace the light bulbs on your garage door opener recently? Doing some research I found that LED bulbs in a garage door opener can cause interference giving sporadic results when trying to open via remote.

Also, have you tried using the remote for the opener to see if a range issue exists? If so it might not be your Homelink mirror causing a problem.

Although if you're dealing with two different door openers the common factor would be the Homelink control. Has anything changed near the garage that could cause interference?

Old 12-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twitch
Gotcha. I assume both doors are having this same issue? If so I don't know that programming the 3rd button will change much but it's worth a shot.

Just out of curiosity did you replace the light bulbs on your garage door opener recently? Doing some research I found that LED bulbs in a garage door opener can cause interference giving sporadic results when trying to open via remote.

Also, have you tried using the remote for the opener to see if a range issue exists? If so it might not be your Homelink mirror causing a problem.

Although if you're dealing with two different door openers the common factor would be the Homelink control. Has anything changed near the garage that could cause interference?
Interesting - I did put in LED bulbs. I'll change them out to see if that makes a difference.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:52 PM
I do not think any bulbs have been changed but I will ask my husband when I get home. Yes both doors had the same issue. We do have a spare keyfob opener and it does not seem to have issues, so it may be that I get to carry one of those around, we shall see. I also will play with the antennae on the opener as well to see if that could be causing some weird interference.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Well I gave up on this piece of **** and I guess I get to use the key fob opener from now on. We even replaced the car battery and still could not get it to work. We got the homelink programmed to the key fob opener but it would not learn the rolling code from the opener motor. At all. We did it 50 times. Cleared it and redid it over and over. Did it with the car off, with accessory only, with it running. In the driveway, in the garage, everything. We did the Canadian instructions. We tried all three buttons. No combination of options worked. I guess the mirror is ****.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by tastythreefive
Well I gave up on this piece of **** and I guess I get to use the key fob opener from now on. We even replaced the car battery and still could not get it to work. We got the homelink programmed to the key fob opener but it would not learn the rolling code from the opener motor. At all. We did it 50 times. Cleared it and redid it over and over. Did it with the car off, with accessory only, with it running. In the driveway, in the garage, everything. We did the Canadian instructions. We tried all three buttons. No combination of options worked. I guess the mirror is ****.
You can usually find a used replacement off of ebay for cheap. Literally plug and play.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:54 PM
You might have done it like this but I thought I'd ask anyway.
http://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-vi...nk-system.html

Scott

Old 12-05-2016, 01:55 PM
You might have done it like this but I thought I'd ask anyway.
http://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-vi...nk-system.html

Scott
Yes, I did that method. Step #3 is where it all falls apart. Either the homelink wont accept a signal from the garage door opener, or the garage door opener wont send a signal to the homelink. Don't know which one it is. It appears that the homelink is not accepting a code properly, but I guess that does necessarily mean the homelink is the problem...the garage door may not be functioning properly in the LEARN mode.

The keyfob openers work to open the garage doors just fine. The homelink button programs from the keyfob just fine. The homelink worked fine until last week. The garage door opener on the ceiling works just fine. But something between the Liftmaster and the homelink isn't getting communicated.

Last edited by tastythreefive; 12-05-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Yes, I did that method. Step #3 is where it all falls apart. Either the homelink wont accept a signal from the garage door opener, or the garage door opener wont send a signal to the homelink. Don't know which one it is. It appears that the homelink is not accepting a code properly, but I guess that does necessarily mean the homelink is the problem...the garage door may not be functioning properly in the LEARN mode.

The keyfob openers work to open the garage doors just fine. The homelink button programs from the keyfob just fine. The homelink worked fine until last week. The garage door opener on the ceiling works just fine. But something between the Liftmaster and the homelink isn't getting communicated.
Did you see that one post where the guy said "I got ahold of some homelink / genie info and you cant program the car off of a keychain mini-remote. I had to find one of the real remotes and then it worked fine."

Since you're saying keyfob I'm wondering if this could be the issue? You could always contact Homelink and Liftmaster to see if they can help.

Don't you just hate when things don't work like they're supposed to??

Old 12-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Did you see that one post where the guy said "I got ahold of some homelink / genie info and you cant program the car off of a keychain mini-remote. I had to find one of the real remotes and then it worked fine."

Since you're saying keyfob I'm wondering if this could be the issue? You could always contact Homelink and Liftmaster to see if they can help.

Don't you just hate when things don't work like they're supposed to??
AARRGGHH!! Yes I hate that. Ya spend good money on nice things...blah blah I could go on for awhile but I digress.

Yes I am using a keyfob/keychain. We have a random real remote that honestly we don't know where it came from...sounds crazy but ya. I'll see if we can program that and then use it. But still yet, it seems the problem occurs after homelink is programmed. Definitely worth a shot tho. Its probably one of those things that doesnt seem to make any sense whatsoever but only works when you hold your mouth right.