G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

07 Sedan Paint Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Sedan Paint Issue

Hi, first time poster here. I've had a 2007 G35 Sedan (6MT) for about two years now, and so far it's been a good car. However, just about 2 weeks ago, I noticed some small paint chips on the hood of the car in an unusual spot. I figured it was probably just a weird bounce of a rock, and planned to get some touch up paint and try and fix it myself. However, I came out to the car after class today and was shocked to find that the small spots had grown and merged together, making a spot almost the size of my fist. You can see the edges bubbling and peeling, and I'm scared the problem's going to continue to spread. I know there have been a lot of posts about the paint being soft and chipping a lot, but has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm not even sure where to begin, because just repainting this one spot won't help me if my whole paint job starts to disintegrate. This is really disappointing to me, because I thought I was getting a quality product from a luxury brand. I've seen trucks parked outside for 20 years with paint better than this. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails 07 Sedan Paint Issue-img_0423.jpg  
Old 03-09-2016, 03:43 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
That looks more like something spilled on it and ate through the clear coat. Chemicals, toxic bird crap, etc.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
That looks more like something spilled on it and ate through the clear coat. Chemicals, toxic bird crap, etc.
Agree.

Granted the 07 is 9 years old now so the paint is going to have some issues, but this is not normal. Something at through your clear coat (Upper most paint coating)

There is no way to "buff" this out - you will need to repaint the whole hood professionally if you want it to look good again. Probably about $500 at a decent body shop

Old 03-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
This is not a paint defect. It appears that something got onto the hood and ate through the finish. Something from another car or something on the road probably splattered on the paint and caused it to eat the finish off.

Also you could tell its something caustic because you said you left it and then came back to find they got bigger. Whatever it is the hood will need a respray before it rusts. Touch up paint is not a solution.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fire0nic3
This is not a paint defect. It appears that something got onto the hood and ate through the finish. Something from another car or something on the road probably splattered on the paint and caused it to eat the finish off.
That was my first thought, but when I left the car it was sitting outside during the rain. I would have thought that anything caustic would have been washed away, but when I came outside the car was still wet and the spot had gotten bigger. The rain actually seemed to make it worse, as the spot had stayed the same size for about two weeks. Also, on the exact same part of the hood on the opposite side, there are two spots where the paint has bubbled (much less severely, but still probably needs to be fixed). I don't know how something would have splashed on that large of an area without causing issues on other parts of the car like the bumper or the fenders. Really confusing to me.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by grantshurtz
That was my first thought, but when I left the car it was sitting outside during the rain. I would have thought that anything caustic would have been washed away, but when I came outside the car was still wet and the spot had gotten bigger. The rain actually seemed to make it worse, as the spot had stayed the same size for about two weeks. Also, on the exact same part of the hood on the opposite side, there are two spots where the paint has bubbled (much less severely, but still probably needs to be fixed). I don't know how something would have splashed on that large of an area without causing issues on other parts of the car like the bumper or the fenders. Really confusing to me.
Why wouldn't you just wash it off yourself first instead of the rain (which is acidic and carries many other chemicals) washing it off?

Some shops can do local spot area by taping off but I would just get the entire hood repainted.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy **** dude thats terrible! I got an 07 myself and i have slight clear coat failure popping up on the 2 front quarters very close to the hood and that made me cringe! Either paint it or maybe considering wrapping the car a color of ur choice if that was ever an idea in ur head before this happened but that is totally up to u. Man i would be pissed! Good luck!

Old 03-12-2016, 07:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grantshurtz
Hi, first time poster here. I've had a 2007 G35 Sedan (6MT) for about two years now, and so far it's been a good car. However, just about 2 weeks ago, I noticed some small paint chips on the hood of the car in an unusual spot. I figured it was probably just a weird bounce of a rock, and planned to get some touch up paint and try and fix it myself. However, I came out to the car after class today and was shocked to find that the small spots had grown and merged together, making a spot almost the size of my fist. You can see the edges bubbling and peeling, and I'm scared the problem's going to continue to spread. I know there have been a lot of posts about the paint being soft and chipping a lot, but has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm not even sure where to begin, because just repainting this one spot won't help me if my whole paint job starts to disintegrate. This is really disappointing to me, because I thought I was getting a quality product from a luxury brand. I've seen trucks parked outside for 20 years with paint better than this. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Well, since you are the second owner, you cannot say for sure if the hood was ever repainted or if the car was in an accident (requiring a new hood). So to say "This is really disappointing to me because I thought I was getting a quality product from a luxury brand." isn't fair.

Your only option is to find a great body shop to repaint the entire hood. It will cost but well worth it.