G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Total Power Outage While Driving, help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total Power Outage While Driving, help!

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums but unfortunately my first post is not for a good reason Yesterday I hopped into my car and turned it on, started driving, and about 5 seconds later I heard a boom sound and all of my dash went dark as well as the nav screen. The only thing that turned on was the "No Key Fob" icon. The engine was still running so I maneuvered over to the side of the road and put the car in park but was not able to get it out of park anymore. I also wasn't able to turn the car off as the on/off button wouldn't do anything. After about 30 seconds or so, the car turned off on it's own. I was never able to turn it back on so I had it towed to the dealer. I need some help diagnosing what the issue might be if anyone has any experience with this!

Some other observations:
- The AC and blower shut off when everything else did as well
- I opened the hood and didn't see anything obviously wrong, but I could hear a high pitched whining coming from near the battery area.
- I turned on my hazards but the actual lights would not flash (however, the green flashers on my dash were flashing)
- The climate control lights somehow stayed on the whole time (i.e. the A/C light, Auto light, etc).
- When I went to get my sunglasses out of the car about 2 hours later while it was at the dealer (still up on the tow truck), I noticed that the lights were on inside, nav screen was on and the car was running?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! The dealer is diagnosing and should be getting back to me today but I'd like to get some other opinions if you guys have any clues. Thanks!!

Car Specs:
2008 Infiniti G35 Sedan Sport
110K miles

Old 05-09-2016, 04:05 PM
BKP
Alternator

I had the same problem with my 07 sedan. Completely died on me while sitting at a red light. Was a bad alternator which in turn completely killed my battery. Luckily alternator was covered under warranty. Bought a new battery from Sears and Infiniti installed it for free.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the info! Curious -- how many miles did your car have when this happened? Was the alternator covered because you still had the full warranty or was there some other warranty that applied?

Old 05-10-2016, 03:27 PM
BKP
I think there was about 65K miles on it when it happened. It actually happened twice within a couple months of each other. Luckily Sears has battery warranties. All parts and service for both alternators were covered by my extended warranty. My warranty is through Lexus/Toyota though. Infiniti warranty should cover it I assume.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Wow that's early, glad you had it covered. Unfortunately my extended warranty expired at the 5 year mark so I'm out of warranty. The dealership called yesterday and said they jumped the car but after it was on they couldn't tell anything was malfunctioning. No error codes had been logged and everything was working fine. They offered to keep the car through today to keep testing it.... Not sure what to make of it. Loose ground wire maybe?

Old 09-09-2020, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
g35 sedan 6MT
Has anyone figured out this issue I’m having the same problem

In first gear driving

in neutral

car seems to stall can’t apply any gas car turns back on when I put it in neutral any help?

2007 G35s 6MT 138k miles