G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Service and Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service and Oil

Hey all, got about 55500 miles on my 08 g35x sedan. IDue for an oil change and dealer has a coupon for $45 valvoline, non synthetic which includes genuine filter and multipoint inspection. Local CarX has full synthetic for $48 (coupon) which includes:

http://www.carx.com/auto-repair-serv...hange-service/

Only reason dealer is preferred is because of their Infiniti certified technicians up to date with all the latest bulletins, recalls, intimate knowledge of the car brand, etc.

Also on the service list is Power Steering fluid flush (CarX - $90, Dealer is 2x that amount). Thinking of trying to take care of that myself with a turkey baster. Any recommendations for Power Steering Fluid?

Lastly, Front and rear diff flush. Around $95 each and Transfer box oil (since mine is AWD model) should be changed every 3 years or 60k (which mine is coming up close on) and thats another $95. CarX and dealer are about even in that price range.

Thoughts? Thanks all!

Old 06-24-2016, 07:51 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I have had my G35 serviced at the dealer since I bought it. I buy my oil at Canadian Tire and bring it in. I have had no dealer issues. I do not drive much any more so I only change my oil once a year.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
If you're currently using synthetic oil it's not a good idea to downgrade to non synthetic, there's your first clue! I like using synthetic fluids in my differential like AMSOIL, it runs cooler and caused less wear than again, non synthetic. Find an independent Nissan mechanic/shop in your area, I'd much rather help the little guy than the Stealership. Oh, using the word flush...that's what a toilet does, replacing fluids is just a drain/fill nothing more!
Gary

Old 07-01-2016, 10:39 AM
I went to Walmart and got Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil for around $25 and had the dealership perform the labor and supply the filter and O-ring. All in all, the service cost me $26 and some change so a Full Synthetic oil change with dealer labor for less than $50. Would recommend that route.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W...5-qt./17034372

Question, when the dealership performed their complimentary inspection, I had predicted that they would mark "power steering fluid flush" and "Front/rear brake flush" to be marked "red" as it was marked "yellow" on its last oil change. Funny thing is, the tech marked them both "green" along with the rest of my cars specs. Did the LAST tech before him try to upsell me or did this one miss what I might crucially need this time? I'm at 55.5K and I think at 60k the steering fluid should be looked at but just wanted to confirm.

Lastly, anyone have good experience with these filters? I am considering purchasing this weekend as my permanent new ones:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=33-2399

Old 07-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Front Differential, Rear Differential, Transfer Case & Oil Change

I just did an oil change too. Used Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance Full Synthetic from Walmart only $25.50 for the jug. Crazy how the price has come done on this and was only $3 dollars more then the regular Mobil 1 Synthetic.

I just finished up the front and rear differential watched a video on how to do the front which made it real easy since it was the same year as mine. And the rear was as simple as it gets.

Front Diff:

Also did the transfer case at the same time but pain to get to the fill hole, you need a pump, good video on that one too for my year 2005,

So cost for me was
Oil change: $35
Front Diff: $32
Transfer Case: $28
Rear Diff: $32

Cant imagine how much the dealer would have charged me.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:21 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c

If you're currently using synthetic oil it's not a good idea to downgrade to non synthetic, there's your first clue! ...
**sigh**
That a complete and utterly tired urban myth that just won't die.

https://www.google.com/search?q=goin...utf-8&oe=utf-8

"Myth: Once you switch to synthetic oil, you can never switch back. This is one of the most persistent myths about synthetic oil—and completely untrue. You can switch back and forth at any time. In fact, synthetic blends are simply a mixture of synthetic and conventional oils."

Old 07-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used Royal Purple oil, is it better than mobil1? I am noticing a different power but it seems like my start ups are cranking slower.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:11 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Justindiz
I used Royal Purple oil, is it better than mobil1? I am noticing a different power but it seems like my start ups are cranking slower.
You can debate the minutia over which oil is "better" all you want, but there is absolutely no way you could feel any difference between the two. Anything you are noticing is either coincidence or placebo effect.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
You can debate the minutia over which oil is "better" all you want, but there is absolutely no way you could feel any difference between the two. Anything you are noticing is either coincidence or placebo effect.
You could be right because I did use injector cleaner and fuel system cleaner also

Old 12-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Maintenance Update

Hey all, progress on maintenance for anyone that can use updates on how changes are going on the '08 g35x sedan.

Replaced in-cabin air filter at 48348, to last 15000 miles more so will change at 63348.
Engine air filters replaced at 55752. I used the ones below:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=33-2399

I want to check on them soon to confirm what K&N says about "50000 miles before changing, depending on condition". I live in Midwest and not too dusty but exhausts and extreme temps are plentiful. Anyone have experience with these filters? No problems so far...

Full synthetic oil change at 55443 with Mobil 1. Bought the oil myself and had dealer change it. Maintenance light came up for it so probably will change it before years end again with same full synthetic. I might be mistaken where I heard you can wait up to 15000 miles in ideal conditions before changing this oil but not sure.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5...ype=10&veh=aff

Rotating all season tires every 7500 miles per owners manual.

I also read to do power steering flush at 60k which is coming up in a few hundred miles. Anything else I should check (fluids and multipoint inspection will be done when I service it), feel free. Also feel free to ask any questions about maintenance and I'll be glad to answer/help any way I can!

Thanks all!

Old 12-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Journey Sport Package Nav
Here is a good thread to debate fluid change/flush intervals types of fluids etc. I am convinced i over do the maintenance on my 08 G. I have read from posters on the net (here and elsewhere) whom i believe are far more expert than me on this subject. My problem with following their recommendations is that i am risk adverse. I use my car more than anyone on this site i believe. (227,000 miles so far) I simply cannot afford to break down. Plus when my daughter drives the car i damn sure don't want it breaking down. i change my oil every 3700 miles using synthetic oil. I flush my transmission, rear end, power steering and brake fluid (all at the dealer) every 30 thousand miles.

i am well aware i spend up to 3 maybe 4 times as much on routine maintenance than most on this site. But for me - it is worth the expense. I have replaced the starter, the spark plugs, the struts/shocks (don't want to get into a nomenclature argument) the front wheel bearings/hubs, brakes, tires and battery. My car has never broken down. It still gets 24 mpg @79 mph avg. It gets 19 around town. And 29 mpg @60 mph. It burns 1/3 qt of oil between changes now. I would consider my G at least as a huge engineering success.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I would rather replace Dino oil every 3-5k then use synthetic for longer OCI's. These cars are famous for burning oil, and I would rather realize it at an oil change around 3k miles then at 8k miles.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:03 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Journey Sport Package Nav
You know Urban you are (IMHO) one of the most intelligent posters on this site. The one area i have considered saving money (times are tight for me now - but hopefully not for long) is switching from synthetic to "Dino" oil. This would save approximately 250 dollars a year for me. I am a great believer in synthetic lubricants. However in recent years many manufacturers have changed the base stocks of their formulas and blurred the once rather clear differences. I would be interested in your (and other's) thoughts on this given the fact that i am going to change at 3750 miles come hell or high water....

Old 12-25-2016, 10:00 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I would rather replace Dino oil every 3-5k then use synthetic for longer OCI's. These cars are famous for burning oil, and I would rather realize it at an oil change around 3k miles then at 8k miles.
Oil burnings are with the DE's the HR don't burn oil that I've heard of!

Old 12-25-2016, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by LCC0256
You know Urban you are (IMHO) one of the most intelligent posters on this site. The one area i have considered saving money (times are tight for me now - but hopefully not for long) is switching from synthetic to "Dino" oil. This would save approximately 250 dollars a year for me. I am a great believer in synthetic lubricants. However in recent years many manufacturers have changed the base stocks of their formulas and blurred the once rather clear differences. I would be interested in your (and other's) thoughts on this given the fact that i am going to change at 3750 miles come hell or high water....
Ha thanks. But you can do whatever you'd like!

Originally Posted by Sam G35S
Oil burnings are with the DE's the HR don't burn oil that I've heard of!
MC!

I didn't realize it was V36... good eye.

I would do what you are comfortable with, just make sure to check your oil at at least every other fill up.

The following users liked this post:
Sam G35S (12-25-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Service and Oil