G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Distance sensor shorted out - major component

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Distance sensor shorted out - major component

I needed to bring my car in for a new AC compressor and am now having to replace the ICC distance sensor (the little black box in the front bumper that has a laser sensor for intelligent cruise control.

Right before I brought my car in to the dealer, I washed it and then parked it at the dealer on a slight incline with the front end lower than the rear end. Well apparently that was enough to somehow get water into the ICC distance sensor unit and short it out. For your reference, that little baby controls just about everything in the car. With it shorted out, the ABS brakes no longer work and several other electrical issues.

The problem is that the unit costs about $1800!! So if ANYONE has any ideas on where I can somehow get it cheaper I would be incredibly grateful since I already have to pay close to $2000 for the ac compressor and condensor that I originally needed to have fixed.

The part number for a Journey model sedan is 28437JK30B.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by innsxtc

Right before I brought my car in to the dealer, I washed it and then parked it at the dealer on a slight incline with the front end lower than the rear end. .
Thje only time my car gets washed is when the dealer does it.

Had you let the dealer wash it, it would have been the dealers problem instead of yours

Telcoman

Old 07-14-2016, 04:13 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman

The only time my car gets washed is when the dealer does it.

Had you let the dealer wash it, it would have been the dealers problem instead of yours

Telcoman
What an utterly ridiculous comment! Are you REALLY going to (try and) make the case that having the dealer wash your car is the only way to go.

I've seen you repeatedly sing the praises of dealerships time and again, but this is UNFREAKIN BELIEVABLE!

What _ a _ shill !!

Old 07-14-2016, 04:20 PM
I needed to bring my car in for a new AC compressor and am now having to replace the ICC distance sensor (the little black box in the front bumper that has a laser sensor for intelligent cruise control.

Right before I brought my car in to the dealer, I washed it and then parked it at the dealer on a slight incline with the front end lower than the rear end. Well apparently that was enough to somehow get water into the ICC distance sensor unit and short it out. For your reference, that little baby controls just about everything in the car. With it shorted out, the ABS brakes no longer work and several other electrical issues.

The problem is that the unit costs about $1800!! So if ANYONE has any ideas on where I can somehow get it cheaper I would be incredibly grateful since I already have to pay close to $2000 for the ac compressor and condensor that I originally needed to have fixed.

The part number for a Journey model sedan is 28437JK30B.
I think a used one sourced from an auto salvager may be your least expensive option there. Also, $2K for an AC compressor is ridiculously high, especially if it (most likely) only needed a new clutch mechanism. This is typically the kind of help you get a dealership though, just swap out the bad part with a whole new "next largest" assembly, and all the extra labor that goes along with it.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by vqsmile
I've seen you repeatedly sing the praises of dealerships time and again, but this is UNFREAKIN BELIEVABLE!
NOT DEALERSHIPS!

Only the one Infiniit dealership that I've purchased my two brand new Infiniti's and perhaps a third in the not too distant future..

Always had excellent service and always any issues were fixed right the first time.
Yes the charges are sometimes a little higher but I get a loaner when needed and my vehicle is always vacuumed and washed and much cleaner than when I dropped it off.
Batteries, brakes, tire replacements only slightly higher than independent shops but work was always done right the first time.

I am not going to trust some poorly paid and poorly trained kid in xxx auto repair with a
$40k + vehicle.

My local dealership values good customers and treats their customers fairly.
I know there are certain types of customers that a dealer/service advisor would rather not deal with and encourage them to go elsewhere.

I read and see some of their posts all the time.

Telcoman

Old 07-14-2016, 08:53 PM
NOT DEALERSHIPS!

Only the one Infiniit dealership that I've purchased my two brand new Infiniti's and perhaps a third in the not too distant future..

Always had excellent service and always any issues were fixed right the first time.
Yes the charges are sometimes a little higher but I get a loaner when needed and my vehicle is always vacuumed and washed and much cleaner than when I dropped it off.
Batteries, brakes, tire replacements only slightly higher than independent shops but work was always done right the first time.

I am not going to trust some poorly paid and poorly trained kid in xxx auto repair with a
$40k + vehicle.

My local dealership values good customers and treats their customers fairly.
I know there are certain types of customers that a dealer/service advisor would rather not deal with and encourage them to go elsewhere.

I read and see some of their posts all the time.

Telcoman
Oh wow, you must just be so tickled with yourself. (and what a crock of $hit that all was )

So. . . let me get this straight then, your whole point of posting in this thread was to accomplish either:

A) to scold the OP for washing his own car and let him know that he should only ever have gotten his car washed at YOUR favorite Infiniti dealership, as no others will do, and that if he only had done so, his car either wouldn't be broken now, or he'd have the dealership to fix if it had.

OR

B) to let him know just how smug and wonderful you feel about yourself because you only go to your favorite dealer for virtually EVERYTHING, including a car wash, and how incredibly proud you feel believing they've bestowed you with the "honor" of being such a good customer of theirs.

(Although I guess it could have been both)

Serious question: Do you have any connection to reality left, or do you just like to post so you can hear yourself talk ?

The OP came here looking for help and you offered him NOTHING but BS. Would been better if you didn't post at all.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

A) to scold the OP for washing his own car and let him know that he should only ever have gotten his car washed at YOUR favorite Infiniti dealership, as no others will do, and that if he only had done so, his car either wouldn't be broken now, or he'd have the dealership to fix if it had.
Some are so stupid that they wash the engine as well as the entire vehicle

B) to let him know just how smug and wonderful you feel about yourself because you only go to your favorite dealer for virtually EVERYTHING, including a car wash, and how incredibly proud you feel believing they've bestowed you with the "honor" of being such a good customer of theirs.
In over 73k miles on my present G37S I have had zero problems with either my local dealer or my vehicle. 171796 miles on my previous 06 G35 6 sp manual prior to trading it in for my present one.
Best vehicles I have ever owned and learned the hard way over many years not to trust shops that claim to be mechanics. They generally use cheap inferior parts as well as poorly trained employees that call themselves mechanics.
Tons of sorry posts by many that get ripped off.
Having a good relationship with a dealer pays off in the long run
At least it has for me.
Perhaps not so much for you?

The OP came here looking for help and you offered him NOTHING but BS. Would been better if you didn't post at all.
Perhaps the OP has learned an important lesson?

You missed my point

Telcoman

Old 07-15-2016, 01:23 PM

In over 73k miles on my present G37S I have had zero problems with either my local dealer or my vehicle. 171796 miles on my previous 06 G35 6 sp manual prior to trading it in for my present one.
Best vehicles I have ever owned and learned the hard way over many years not to trust shops that claim to be mechanics. They generally use cheap inferior parts as well as poorly trained employees that call themselves mechanics.
Tons of sorry posts by many that get ripped off.
Having a good relationship with a dealer pays off in the long run
At least it has for me.
Perhaps not so much for you?

Perhaps the OP has learned an important lesson?

You missed my point

Telcoman
And you are so full of yourself that you completely missed mine.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:00 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Uh - I detail my engine a couple a times a year. Washing the engine carefully is normal part of maintenance. 92,000 issue free miles so far.

You obviously have money to burn, others don't verizon guy

Old 07-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by willdogs
Uh - I detail my engine a couple a times a year. Washing the engine carefully is normal part of maintenance. 92,000 issue free miles so far.

You obviously have money to burn, others don't verizon guy
You know Will, the really sad thing here is that the OP never even said he washed his engine. He only said he washed the car right before he took it to the dealer. Nevertheless, that was apparently enough of a "violation" for telcoman(iac) to immediately leap on his soapbox and tell everyone how great he and his favorite Infiniti dealership are.

Last edited by vqsmile; 07-15-2016 at 03:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vqsmile:
Lartytiejdke3 (07-15-2016), willdogs (07-15-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 01:28 PM
Sorry to start all the back and forth jabs but here is the latest update.

I spent the whole day calling around for the part and surfing the internet for it. While it can be found in various places, I could not get it for under $1500. Some places had it as high as $2000! I did find one on eBay for $400 and was very excited only to discover that it was for the Sport model and I have the Journey model. Bummer! Many auto wreckers won't even sell sensors I guess due to the chance they may not work. By the way, the part is different for Sedan and Coupe and is only good for the 2007/08 model years in case anyone runs into this same issue. Part # for Journey model sedan is #28437-JK30B and for the Sport model sedan is #28437-JK31A.

So at this point, I think I may pursue writing to Infiniti and explain what happened and see what they will do. Maybe they'll be willing to goodwill part of it. I would expect that with such a critical component on the car, they would make sure that sensor was locked up tight and completely waterproof so that puddles and rain and especially car washes by hand and parking on an incline wouldn't cause a problem.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:36 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Sorry to start all the back and forth jabs but here is the latest update.

I spent the whole day calling around for the part and surfing the internet for it. While it can be found in various places, I could not get it for under $1500. Some places had it as high as $2000! I did find one on eBay for $400 and was very excited only to discover that it was for the Sport model and I have the Journey model. Bummer! Many auto wreckers won't even sell sensors I guess due to the chance they may not work. By the way, the part is different for Sedan and Coupe and is only good for the 2007/08 model years in case anyone runs into this same issue. Part # for Journey model sedan is #28437-JK30B and for the Sport model sedan is #28437-JK31A.

So at this point, I think I may pursue writing to Infiniti and explain what happened and see what they will do. Maybe they'll be willing to goodwill part of it. I would expect that with such a critical component on the car, they would make sure that sensor was locked up tight and completely waterproof so that puddles and rain and especially car washes by hand and parking on an incline wouldn't cause a problem.
I'm going to be nice and post this. I believe your car can take this sensor as it is for the 2009 Infiniti G37 which should work with the G35. I would call and check.

This is BRAND NEW for $330.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/28437-1NC2A-...item1a16fc2c6c

Old 07-18-2016, 10:44 AM
Sure appreciate the help. I was pretty excited but alas I checked with the dealer and they said the part isn't interchangeable. Only 2007/2008 model years have interchangeable distance sensors. Apparently it is due to how they bolt up to the car because it changes the angle of the sensor etc. when they need to do the alignment procedure. The search continues...

Old 07-18-2016, 11:03 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Sure appreciate the help. I was pretty excited but alas I checked with the dealer and they said the part isn't interchangeable. Only 2007/2008 model years have interchangeable distance sensors. Apparently it is due to how they bolt up to the car because it changes the angle of the sensor etc. when they need to do the alignment procedure. The search continues...
I thought the 2009 G37 sedan is exactly the same as the 2007/2008 G35 sedan except the engine and perhaps the navigation/backup camera system.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I thought the 2009 G37 sedan is exactly the same as the 2007/2008 G35 sedan except the engine and perhaps the navigation/backup camera system.
Different bumper (?). The sensor has to mount in the perfect orientation/alignment or it won't calibrate properly. I'd still consider sourcing a used one.

Last edited by vqsmile; 07-18-2016 at 11:58 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Distance sensor shorted out - major component