G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Tire Question

Old 11-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Question

I know someone has definitely posted it, but I bought an 07 sedan and on the freeway, it's pretty squirrelly, and I thought his could be due to the back tires being up front. I'm out of state at the moment but I had my wife send me pics of the tires, she messed up on the back but up front they are 245/45ZR18.. are these supposed to be in the back and could this cause the horrible handling at freeway speed?

Old 11-02-2016, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Stock wheels? Have you inspected the suspension yet?

Old 11-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Weston.gilles
I know someone has definitely posted it, but I bought an 07 sedan and on the freeway, it's pretty squirrelly, and I thought his could be due to the back tires being up front. I'm out of state at the moment but I had my wife send me pics of the tires, she messed up on the back but up front they are 245/45ZR18.. are these supposed to be in the back and could this cause the horrible handling at freeway speed?
Well, YES, err maybe.

Here's the thing, it is true that the staggered wheels setup on cars (Sport model) is supposed to run a narrower wheel on the front with the 225 width tires, and wider wheel on the rears with a 245 width tire. However, some people have been known to install 245 width tires on those narrower front wheels, so just the presence of 245's in the front is not likely to cause a problem in and of itself.

Now, if someone did place a rear wheel on the front, AND THEY DIDN'T REMOVE THE LITTLE BOLT ON THE FRONT ROTORS which is supposed to prevent that very thing from happening (by keeping the wheel from sitting flat on the hub), and then they either didn't notice or just left it sitting all crooked and tightened the lug nuts down anyway, then heck yeah, the wheel would be wobbling as it rotated and would feel like crap at freeway speeds (besides being horribly dangerous and prone to causing the lug nuts to loosen on their own!).

As a precaution, you need to make sure the front wheels are sitting flat on the hubs and the lug nuts are all tight before somebody has an accident.

EDIT: Here's a few pics of similar blocking bolts>

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/a...chaos/hub3.jpg

Last edited by vqsmile; 11-03-2016 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:25 AM
Oh man, yeah I get home Saturday, i will look at it then.. as for the suspension, no I haven't looked at it but the cornering feels basically like it should, it's just that horrible handling and pulling all over the road at freeway speed with the changing road conditions.. I live up near Seattle, those roads are garbage

Old 11-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
If this car is new to you I'd get the alignment checked after you verify your wheel setup. Your tires may also be pretty worn and some are more prone to tramlining. Tramlining will give you that floaty feeling and tends to grab those road grooves and jolt you side to side when it catches them, not a good scenario for sure. Here's a link on tramlining
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47
Also you said the wife messed up w/ the tire selection, what size tires are in back now?

Old 11-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Last time I looked "Tire Rotation" wasn't allowed on G35s! Your G came with 225s up front, running those out back with the 245s front could result in a very strange drive. I was never a fan of using those 225s up front and quickly changed to 245s on all four corners giving me a great ride especially at freeway speed. If your tires are worn replace them and get an alignment. Best tire prices check with "The Tire Rack" they sell for wholesale offering dozens of brand tires and deliver to your door/shop!
Gary

Old 11-03-2016, 12:31 PM
No she didn't buy new tires for it, the tires that are on it are basically brand new.. I just had her take a pic of the front and back tires, but she didn't get a pic of the size in the back just the front. But tramlining, yes it definitely does that really really bad right now.. (the pulling all over the road explained) I really think it is just an alignment and wrong tire location. What would I be looking for in the suspension?

Old 11-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Journey Sport Package Nav
Originally Posted by gary c
Last time I looked "Tire Rotation" wasn't allowed on G35s! Your G came with 225s up front, running those out back with the 245s front could result in a very strange drive. I was never a fan of using those 225s up front and quickly changed to 245s on all four corners giving me a great ride especially at freeway speed. If your tires are worn replace them and get an alignment. Best tire prices check with "The Tire Rack" they sell for wholesale offering dozens of brand tires and deliver to your door/shop!
Gary
Gary please correct me if i am wrong...i thought the rims on my G35 Journey with the sport package came with slightly different sized rims on the front than the back. I always assumed that because of this it was best for me to continue with the 225/50R 18's on the front and 245/45R 18's on the back....? I am due tires now as a matter of fact. I am going to order them from Tire Rack as you suggested. I got 65k out of a set of Goodyear Eagles - and was quite amazed. Due to $$ constraints i am looking at the B F Goodrich G Force Comp - 2 A/S for the next set...

Old 11-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by LCC0256
Gary please correct me if i am wrong...i thought the rims on my G35 Journey with the sport package came with slightly different sized rims on the front than the back. I always assumed that because of this it was best for me to continue with the 225/50R 18's on the front and 245/45R 18's on the back....? I am due tires now as a matter of fact. I am going to order them from Tire Rack as you suggested. I got 65k out of a set of Goodyear Eagles - and was quite amazed. Due to $$ constraints i am looking at the B F Goodrich G Force Comp - 2 A/S for the next set...
The front Sport wheels are narrower than the rears, so they are better suited for the narrower 225 width tires. Nonetheless, it is possible to install the wider 245's on them, and some people do, but it is technically (borderline) too narrow per tire manufacturer specs. If you drive your car modestly on the street, you may not ever know the difference, but if you took it to a track it would not perform as well. Given that you got 65K out of a set of staggered tires on Sport wheels, I'm going to guess you will most likely not notice a difference.

Last edited by vqsmile; 11-07-2016 at 07:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LCC0256 (11-08-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 08:35 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by LCC0256
Due to $$ constraints i am looking at the B F Goodrich G Force Comp - 2 A/S for the next set...
Budget schmughet, I recently had to replace the tires on my GTO under warranty from Discount Tire and was sad to see my longtime favorites had been discontinued. So after a lot of research I picked the Comp 2 AS because they got very favorable reviews on every site I consulted. Didn't expect them to be anything better than above average, I haven't ever run all season tires in any form. Man what an awesome surprise, these tires kick azz. Great grip, comfortable ride, quiet and very stable and predictable handling when pushed hard. And the bonus is they aren't expensive tires in the grand scheme of things. Tire Rack had them rated 1 out of 27 AS UHP a while back and recently they bumped them down to #2. Not the best looking tire out there but when they make the GTO more fun than it already is, win!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
LCC0256 (11-08-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Journey Sport Package Nav
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Budget schmughet, I recently had to replace the tires on my GTO under warranty from Discount Tire and was sad to see my longtime favorites had been discontinued. So after a lot of research I picked the Comp 2 AS because they got very favorable reviews on every site I consulted. Didn't expect them to be anything better than above average, I haven't ever run all season tires in any form. Man what an awesome surprise, these tires kick azz. Great grip, comfortable ride, quiet and very stable and predictable handling when pushed hard. And the bonus is they aren't expensive tires in the grand scheme of things. Tire Rack had them rated 1 out of 27 AS UHP a while back and recently they bumped them down to #2. Not the best looking tire out there but when they make the GTO more fun than it already is, win!!!!!

Thank you for that recommendation. I just put those BFG tires on my 08 G35. I am finding your comments to be dead on.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:43 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Man I am so glad you made that decision and are happy with them. I've been telling people here and on my main GTO forum how awesome these tires are, especially since they're such a good bargain.

Enjoy those bad boys and report back in a bit how they're holding up. I'm still blown away by how many glowing reviews they're getting all over the place and in my size, 245/45/17, they're only $125 each.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.