G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Engine leaked nearly all it's oil, dealer found oil filter to be lose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine leaked nearly all it's oil, dealer found oil filter to be lose

Hi everyone!

I drive a 2007 G35x with 167,500 miles on it. It's last oil change was at firestone on October 3, 2016 (3 months ago). A few weeks later, I start notice "ringing" noises from the engine. After some research, I figured it was the timing chain tensioner failing along with the chain-cover slipping down. Didn't think much of it since it's a high-mile car and knew it would happen at some point.

Just last week, on around January 5th 2017, my girlfriends car broke down while I was out of town, so I allowed her to drive my G for a few days until I get back and can work on her car. Temps were about -12F outside the morning she started driving it. After her second day driving it, she tells me the VDC off, SES, and SLIP lights all came on after a heavy jerk, followed by a horrible "cranking" and "grinding" noise. When she gets to drive me G, she drives that thing like a grandma and is EXTREMELY careful with it (as she knows my love for it ) so I know she didn't do anything "unusual/erratic"with my car. After some googling, I decided it was a camshaft sensor failure and that it just happened to have finally failed while she drove it.

I returned home the next day to take the G for a spin and see if I notice anything different. When I first started the car, the SES light was the only light on with the same horrible grinding noise at low RPMs. About 5 minutes later, the car jerked hard, and the SLIP and VDC OFF lights came on followed by hard jerks when the gears shifted. After parking it in my driveway 1 mile later, I checked the oil level. Nothing. Not even a single mark on the dip stick. I left it over night and still no oil on the stick. I looked under the car and saw oil all over the under side of the vehicle. There was also a massive oil puddle in my girlfriend's driveway from when she had it. That next morning, I scheduled an engine inspection at an Infiniti dealership. I poured 4qts of oil in to get the car to the dealership 10 miles away.

A day later, they call me and tell me my upper oil pan and timing chain cover is leaking oil slowly (i've been aware of this but don't have $5k to fix it but top off the oil when needed). However, the dealer said the oil filter was "finger loose" and was the greatest source for the oil leak. He said the last place to change my oil did not do it correctly. I had them install a new filter and Infiniti brand oil and the leaking stopped, costing me $82. The SES came back with a code for the Left Bank 1 cam sensor failing with the note. "cam sensors need to be replaced due to excessive internal resistance."

I plan on contacting firestone for a compensation for that $82 I had to spend (mechanic said he will back up the finger lose statement to firestone) as well as the $24 I spent at Walmart for the oil I needed to get to the dealer. After some more research, I read a few things about the timing chain tensioner failing/creating issues for the chain itself if the oil level is low. Could the leaked oil cause my timing chain problems? Can I declare firestone responsible for this also? Can low oil cause a camshaft sensor to fail? Are they responsible for this also?

I apologize for the mass amounts of text but I love this car and want to sort out what recent problems are from the age of the car versus what is from bad mechanic practice (so I can hold them accountable).

Old 01-14-2017, 04:31 PM
Update:
Looked at the receipt from the firestone October oil change. It's showing for the oil used as 5W-30 QS ADV DUR GF5 OIL UP TO 5 QTS. After some googling, looks like that comes to Quaker State Advanced Durability Oil, which is a conventional oil. I always ask for full synthetic. Spoke to the guy at firestone on the phone and he says they used Quaker State Enhanced Durability, a synthetic blend. Either way, I asked for full synthetic and did not get that.

The guy also said in the phone that all I can do is file a claim but the odds they will find the shop at fault are low because I took it to the dealer so the evidence is "contaminated"??

Old 01-14-2017, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Your biggest mistake was not spending a few extra dollars for the oil change at the dealer. There have been many instances by Jiffy Lube and others with loose or falling out oil drain plugs. If you paid by credit card you may be able to provide supporting documentation to request a charge-back on your credit card from Firestone. SAE 5w-30 oil is oil and shame on you for never checking your oil not only immediately after an oil change like the next day and weekly.
What happened to you happened to my late father in law over 30 years ago.He had to purchase a new car.
I used to do my own oil changes on my previous 06 G35 6 speed manual
On my current 2012 G37S I only use the dealer
Costs a little more but they wash, vacuum, and provide a loaner if needed and snacks
I always leave happy

Good luck to you

Telcoman

The following users liked this post:
Justice06RR (01-25-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
Your biggest mistake was not spending a few extra dollars for the oil change at the dealer.
Costs a little more but they wash, vacuum, and provide a loaner if needed and snacks
I always leave happy!
The major mistake anyone can take is having Firestone/Goodyear/Pep Boys or any large store touch our cars! Watching their mechanics work is like watching a monkey f-ck a football! Take your G to the dealership or find a qualified independent mechanic to change it for you.
Gary

The following 3 users liked this post by gary c:
Blue Dream (01-16-2017), Justice06RR (01-25-2017), telcoman (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by gary c
The major mistake anyone can take is having Firestone/Goodyear/Pep Boys or any large store touch our cars! Watching their mechanics work is like watching a monkey f-ck a football! Take your G to the dealership or find a qualified independent mechanic to change it for you.
Gary
Just a few google searches.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice...ruined_my_car/

https://jiffy-lube.pissedconsumer.co...811193439.html

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/pep_boys.htm

Telcoman

Old 01-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I doubt you'll get anything reimbursed by them for the fact you have some preexisting oil leaks and took it to the dealer after. I had a similar situation with Sears, I was relocating and had tires shipped to them and stated it's a staggered setup (I lived in Key West). Well, driving several hours to my destination my car did not seem right. Turns out they put the tires on completely wrong and I got the same answer as you, since I took it to someone else, I was SOL.

The tensioner is driven by oil pressure just like a lot of the other components. I can see the tensioner failing with lack of oil. But, it's usually the plastic guide rails that fail with the car and causes the tensioner to fully extend. Usually, you hear a noise that goes away once the oil pressure gets up to the correct pressure. I think after 06 you have to take the whole cover off to see if this occurred at least on the older models there are small ports above this and the water pump. I'm not sure how the internals of a camshaft sensor work or if they require oil to pass though to prevent them from being worn out.

I do all my own work now on my cars from timing belts on my Audi to the timing chain on my G. The Sears fiasco and an 800 dollar wheel bearing bill really got me motivated to start reading up on cars, repairs, and learning how to diagnose then fix the problem.

Justice06RR (01-25-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by coffeysm
I do all my own work now on my cars from timing belts on my Audi to the timing chain on my G. The Sears fiasco and an 800 dollar wheel bearing bill really got me motivated to start reading up on cars, repairs, and learning how to diagnose then fix the problem.
Oh yeah, since my G is in her later years, she's definitely a delicate old lady. Have no trust in her maintenance other than the dealership and myself. This forum has helped TONS with learning how to do a lot of my own work and I am so happy to find this place.

As for the claim against Firestone, it is simply going to be Infiniti's word versus Firestone's word and the fact I took it to another shop may just ruin my chances just like what you guys are saying :/

Also, I am getting the infamous P0340 code - Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 circuit malfunction. I have the correct replacement sensor ready to go but I need help locating the exact position of Cam Sensor A, Bank 1. I know roughly where they are based on the Infiniti parts diagrams, but with a snow storm headed my way any hour, I only want to replace the faulty sensor now and do the rest next weekend. I will post a screenshot of what the Infiniti parts website is showing. I've looked up and down through the forums and google to find a DIY for my model (07 VQ35HR AWD) but can't find one anywhere

Old 01-15-2017, 12:02 PM

I hope this diagram makes sense, let me know if it's hard to understand.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:46 PM
I don't have the HR engine, so I can only go off what I know about the DE. The passenger side would be left if you're standing in front of the car, so blue on your diagram. I'm guessing it's the intake camshaft sensor, so maybe the brown circle, but I'm not positive on that. The part number you highlighted is like a grouping the part number should be a little longer.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:32 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Journey Sport Package Nav
As the "driving fool" on this site ( 08 G with 228K) i concur with Gary (G car expert IMO) and telco man. I have used my dealer for over 70% of routine and 100% of wear/replacement repairs on my G. Other posts will delineate my maintenance schedule/history on this (again IMO) engineering marvel. I have established a relationship with the mechanics there and service writers. If in fact you know a Nissan trained mechanic with their own shop who you trust by all means use him/her. I am all in for that too. I just do not know anyone with updated and Nissan specific training that has an independent shop.

The following 2 users liked this post by LCC0256:
Justice06RR (01-25-2017), telcoman (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 09:43 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by LCC0256
I have established a relationship with the mechanics there and service writers. If in fact you know a Nissan trained mechanic with their own shop who you trust by all means use him/her. I am all in for that too. I just do not know anyone with updated and Nissan specific training that has an independent shop.
I am going to give a shout out for Modern Infiniti in Greensboro NC. I drive there from Raleigh for service. I've had the 2006x now for nearly 4 years, it was birthed to private ownership there with the first owner and maintained by them through its first 74K miles, and I bought it from them as second owner on the trade-in. I have all the records. They give me a loaner (BTW, Q50 sport hybrid is wicked strong, but I hate drive by wire), the dealership, service writer, mechanics... they are all straight away awesome. And the one time I had issues, they totally made it right with no questions asked.

The weird thing is that somehow, some way, when I was shopping I knew of Modern's reputation as "not your typical dealer," even in Raleigh 70+ miles away. I was glad to buy it with them. They price-matched the internet discounters on the Elite extended warranty. I could maintain the car in Raleigh at a dealer 10 miles away, but there is something that appeals to me about it staying in the Modern family's hands through its extended life. I'm nostalgic that way, I guess. Plus I pretty much only putt putt around town, so it's an excuse to really get it out on the road and let 'er breath the heady thrill of knifing through the air at 79 mph for an hour of steady rolling.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
I am going to give a shout out for Modern Infiniti in Greensboro NC. I drive there from Raleigh for service. I've had the 2006x now for nearly 4 years, it was birthed to private ownership there with the first owner and maintained by them through its first 74K miles, and I bought it from them as second owner on the trade-in. I have all the records. They give me a loaner (BTW, Q50 sport hybrid is wicked strong, but I hate drive by wire), the dealership, service writer, mechanics... they are all straight away awesome. And the one time I had issues, they totally made it right with no questions asked.

The weird thing is that somehow, some way, when I was shopping I knew of Modern's reputation as "not your typical dealer," even in Raleigh 70+ miles away. I was glad to buy it with them. They price-matched the internet discounters on the Elite extended warranty. I could maintain the car in Raleigh at a dealer 10 miles away, but there is something that appeals to me about it staying in the Modern family's hands through its extended life. I'm nostalgic that way, I guess. Plus I pretty much only putt putt around town, so it's an excuse to really get it out on the road and let 'er breath the heady thrill of knifing through the air at 79 mph for an hour of steady rolling.
I can say the same for Circle Infiniti located in West Long Branch, New Jersey.
They are the best automobile dealer that I found in my entire life. I'm on my second Infiniti and have been dealing with them for almost twelve years. They are farther away from me then another Infiniti dealer but far superior on price and service.

Name:  MyInfinitiDealer032_zps7e5ce86d.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  55.9 KB

Telcoman

Old 01-18-2017, 02:01 PM
I haven't been to a dealer in awhile, but when I lived in Tampa I always drove to Clearwater. They were awesome Infiniti of Tampa sucks and I would never recommend them. Inifinti of West Chester, PA is also pretty good.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gary c
Gary
I don't know where you gathered you're opinion about Firestone employees, but where do you think the technicians and service managers go after Firestone? To the Dealerships and vice versa. Not only that, but FIrestone has a double-check procedure in place for oil filters, wheel lug nuts and drain bolts.

The store will end up eating this cost on this guys car, regardless of who touched it last. Give me an email please and I'll get you in contact with the right person.

ElyDaniel@BFUSA.Com

LCC0256 (01-27-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sad to hear about that but my experience with Firestone has been mixed. At this point I wouldn't say you should've done this or that because it's a bit too late for that. If it were me, I would definitely gather all evidence I have and file a claim--probably even sue if I could. Sounds a little harsh but when I pay people to do things, I expect it to be the correct way in a professional manner and if things aren't done properly and it leads to more money and/or headaches--I'm definitely getting on the phone with somebody. Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.