G35Driver Feedback & Suggestions NO Car Questions! For posting Feedback, Suggestions or Questions regarding G35Driver website ONLY.

Trouble Searching - How To Use Search?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble Searching - How To Use Search?

I'm new to these forums and for some reason I'm having problems searching. When I wasn't a member and searched the forums it would give me results related to what I was searching. Now that I am a member the search results are mostly all the same... Nothing really related to what I'm searching for, but if a word that I'm searching is listed anywhere in a thread it shows those as results... For example I search Tire Pressure and none of the search results have anything to do with wheels, but somewhere in each thread it will say tire. I've tried advanced search but find no solution. I hate posting threads on something that's already been discussed but if I cant find them I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

Old 07-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
Searching on this site isn't as hard as it looks - you just need to refine the searching so it works better than just out of the box.

There are four main things you can do to get better search results when using the Driver Search Tool:

https://g35driver.com/forums/search.php

1. For your search terms (especially if they are commonly used all over), you can add a plus sign in front of each word - i.e. if you are looking for coupe springs you'd type in '+coupe +springs'
2. In the dropdown box beneath where you type in your search terms, you can change the option from 'Search Entire Posts' to 'Search Titles Only'
3. To refine even more, lastly you can narrow down the subforums for the search to run in by going over to the 'Search in Forum(s)'. Most of my searches would only be in the 1st gen sedan forum and the associated tech forum so I'd select only those two subforums (hold down the control button and click to highlight which forums only to search).
4. If you remember the member's SN who made a thread/post of something you wanted to read again, you can search using the 'Search by User Name' option and dropdown to search by post or thread.

^ Those are the only things I normally do when searching; obviously you can drill down further by searching for tags or by date or whatever - just spend some time playing with all the options.

I applaud you trying to search for yourself and asking for help instead of just making threads before even trying to figure it out. Many, many, MANY members - both new & old - do that and it's extremely annoying to me at least. I don't mind helping members out but only if they're willing to help themselves instead of being willfully ignorant/lazy. I'm not against discussion per se but G35's and Driver have been around for 10+ years....wealth of information on here already that would be worthless if no one would look for it.

Anyways, good luck and enjoy your stay here.

The following 3 users liked this post by S 854:
2oo6infinitiG35 (03-22-2013), LCC0256 (05-25-2014), PhilliesG (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks, I've tried a few of those options already but haven't used the + symbols. I'll continue to try it though. I was a member of evom.net and some other local Lancer forums as I used to drive a Lancer OZ Rally (G is one hell of an upgrade ^_^), but never really had this problem. I appreciate the response these forums are great and am glad to be a member!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
You can use Google too. If you type in G35driver along with your criteria its going to bring up links to this forum.

The following 2 users liked this post by herrschaft:
2oo6infinitiG35 (03-22-2013), S 854 (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
^ Nice Jay - completely forgot about that Google/search engine one. The biggie is still using the plus sign in front of the search term(s) - forgot how I picked it up but it's been a lifesaver when searching Driver for something.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Yea, I was looking into getting my G since February 2012 and got it in July so in that time I spent many hours googling g35 coupes ^_^. Thats how I found the forums.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by S 854
The biggie is still using the plus sign in front of the search term(s) - forgot how I picked it up but it's been a lifesaver when searching Driver for something.
Thats the first time I heard of that. I'll have to play around with the search feature some more now.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
^ Yeah it's called a boolean search to optimize search results.

Boolean Searches

How do I do a Boolean Search?

You have two choices: you can use the standard Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT, or NEAR, or you can use their math equivalents. It depends on you, the searcher, on which method you're more comfortable with. For example:

Boolean Search Operators

• The Boolean search operator AND is equal to the "+" symbol.
  • The Boolean search operator NOT is equal to the "-" symbol.
  • The Boolean search operator OR is the default setting of any search engine; meaning, all search engines will return all the words you type in, automatically.
  • The Boolean search operator NEAR is equal to putting a search query in quotes, i.e., "sponge bob squarepants". You're essentially telling the search engine that you want all of these words, in this specific order, or this specific phrase.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 PM
I've been just looking and reading on this forum for about two years now, and I have to say the search function is terrible. Even adding + in front of a specific word brings up irrelevant information. and if I dont use any symbols, the same threads always pop up and about 45 other pages worth, which I am not going through to find my answer. What I do is go to google and put "g35driver" and then what Im looking for after. But I dont blame people for keep bringing the same topics up. Who wants to find the thread they finally and have to read 30 pages worth. Just my .02

Old 05-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
I think my thread was a better option for a sticky, but I'm biased. https://g35driver.com/forums/g35driv...rch-forum.html

Last edited by LoSt180; 03-25-2016 at 11:06 AM.