Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

ZEX Wet kit on high-miled VQ...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZEX Wet kit on high-miled VQ...?

I really don't want this to be a hate thread, but i have a serious question. i have a 2005 G35 6MT coupe with 136,XXX miles on the clock, and ive owned the car for three years. I have replaced the oil every 3K yada yada yada, all synth, and stuff, but i was curious to see if people think this is too high miled for a Nitrous Kit. i am ONLY looking for a 55 shot, and am well aware if the kit were to be installed, i would need a proper tuning, (including, but not limited to) colder plugs, 2 degrees retarded timing, and a tune.

just want honest opinions, and some information if any of you guys have had the "bottle" on a high miled motor.

P.S. first thing im doing is getting a compression test to see how healthy the engine is. i just wan some reassurance.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:03 PM
oh come on now, there's gotta be one of you guys running the bottle over 100k...

Old 09-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
You have the correct approach, compression test will determine wear for mileage.

Assuming compression good, all the above precautions mentioned in first post will ensure safe use of nitrous.

Suggest bottle heater, window switch, fuel pump upgrade, and fuel pressure switch.

Never used on high mileage engine but have used it for 30+ years on four different vehicles including My G.

The following users liked this post:
sman217 (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by HotRodG35
You have the correct approach, compression test will determine wear for mileage.

Assuming compression good, all the above precautions mentioned in first post will ensure safe use of nitrous.

Suggest bottle heater, window switch, fuel pump upgrade, and fuel pressure switch.

Never used on high mileage engine but have used it for 30+ years on four different vehicles including My G.

Thanks so much for the response, HotRodG35; it's good to hear back from one of the nearly 100 viewers of this thread! But again, thanks for clearing up my concerns... I just wanted to check, is the fuel pump upgrade really necessary? I'm not doubting you in ANY way, I just want to make sure i have all the required gear to maintain maximum reliability. The nitrous kit wont be being used much, just at an old airport in Kentucky that we all do roll races on, (completely legal, sanctioned event) again, thanks.

I talked to ZEX, and a bunch of garages across the country, asking them specifics about what i should do to maintain reliability, and such. I do have one other question... All the people i talked to recommended colder plugs, (one step colder, copper ngk's) and also a -2 retarded timing. My concern is, how much decreased power/MPG/reliability will the plugs and retarding do to the engine when I'm NOT spraying...? this isnt going to hurt my engine will it? I mean, I wouldn't think it would, because usually advancing the timing is what gets you in trouble...

Old 09-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by sman217
. All the people i talked to recommended colder plugs, (one step colder, copper ngk's) and also a -2 retarded timing. My concern is, how much decreased power/MPG/reliability will the plugs and retarding do to the engine when I'm NOT spraying...? this isnt going to hurt my engine will it? I mean, I wouldn't think it would, because usually advancing the timing is what gets you in trouble...
Upgraded fuel pump only because of mileage on engine. If pump is low mileage it should be okay. If pump age unknown than upgrade to a Walbro 255LPH to ensure adequate flow/pressure maintained.

Colder plugs will not affect mileage, its done because of the enviroment exposed to while injecting nitrous. I run 3 heat ranges colder myself because of boost and compression ratio. Heat range is based on how electrode is insulated and carries heat away.

Timing retard will affect performance, alternative is using engine management system with multiple MAPS such as UpREV, UTEC or for overkill Haltech. You can select nitrous MAP to retard timing as needed.

The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (09-04-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can i use my stock headers when using nitrous? i have hks td hi power exhaust, berk hfc, stillen intake, ztube and gettin a spacer 1/2 inch,

Old 10-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by sman217
Thanks so much for the response, HotRodG35; it's good to hear back from one of the nearly 100 viewers of this thread! ...
There's a reason you have 100 views and only one response, not many people use NOS. So, though we are interested, we can't comment on it. You just have to wait on someone that does have the experience (you did) and you'll get a good answer.

As for the rest of us, we are just curious.

Personally, it would be a toss up to put such a kit on mine, I would worry too much.

BTW I have 125K on mine.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have everything and the nx i used on my last two cars. I have seen on different forums that the fuel pumps we have and injectors are good for up to a 150 shot on fuel such as c16 (race fuel) which is all i ran in my last car on the track. I have the access port and getting everything tuned in the spring i will post the results then. I noticed on the last car stock headers pulled a lot harder with the bottle than the aftermarket dc's.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
talk to Jake Justice or Pat Djenn from Facebook, two guys that excelled in n2o use on VQ's.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:05 AM
reviving dead thread, but I ended up deciding against nitrous because my motor had oil consumption issues begin to occur after this thread. 15K later, still consuming oil. compression seems fine, peformance unaffected. If rings are the culprit, i dont want to further their decomposition.