G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

For Those That Have Driven The G37

Old 08-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealers car was a 6MT. Funny enough of the 5 cars on the lot - all sold. Only one was automatic.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:55 PM
I found G35CoupeToronto's review to be a little confusing, a couple of parts seem to contridict, like how the G37 looks too similar to the G35 which he then mentions was the sexiest car on the road. Or that the sales won't increase and the car won't be anymore successful than the G35 which just happened to be the best seller in it's class

Not to mention "It looks unfinished nor incomplete" literally means it looks finished and complete for anyone who has taken a philosophy or logic course. I think he meant unfinished and incomplete.

However, after seeing it myself in person yesterday I can concur with his statement that it looks similar to the G35C. When I drove up I was really expecting the car to wow me, but I have to honestly say it didn't. Although I should note my 03 G35C did not wow me either when I got it. This is just talking about the looks of the car as my test drive isn't until tomorrow. I couldn't help thinking that it looked very very similar to the old G35. Sure the headlights, tailights etc are different, but the overall shape and lines are very similar. The car still looks great, but it's hard to explain the feeling. The only thing I could really come up with is it's because I already own a G35C and am used to it's styling. As someone has mentioned previously, the G35 has spoiled previous owners. The jump in styling from G35 to G37 wasn't huge enough I think to wow me. Another funny thing I noticed is when I looked at the pictures I took afterwards of my car and the G37, I actually find the G37 looked better in pictures! it's pretty much opposite of everyone else. I notice things in the pictures that I didn't in person, like how really aggressive the G37 looks in comparison. For example the front fender flares on the G37 I was expecting to be quite noticeable, but they looked similar in size to the flares on my G35. On the pictures however they look much more pronounced...strange. I will say the G37 looks wider then my car though, and in general does have more curves leaving the G35 looking a lot straighter and simpler in comparison. They both look good in their own right though, but the G37 does look like the newer car.

The car still looks good and is a natural evolution of the G35 IMHO. As mentoned before the exterior of the G35 wasn't what convinced me to buy it, it was how it put a smile on my face when I drove the car. I did glance at the interior of the G37 and it is hands down better then the previous gen no question. So I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if the drive in the G37 has the same effect as when I first drove my G35.

One thing I did love was the wheels and brakes, those things are huge and look much meaner than my 18's. What was disappointing about them was that brake dust will still be a HUGE problem for this car, since after only 3 days of test drives the wheels and side of the car had brake dust all over. In my G35, clean my wheels and 5 days later they are covered in dust again. I was hoping the G37 would be different but doesn't appear so, and from that I can only assume that the G37 will eat brakes for breakfast like the 03-04 G35 coupes.

Pictures:
For Those That Have Driven The G37-pic1.jpgFor Those That Have Driven The G37-pic2.jpgFor Those That Have Driven The G37-pic3.jpgFor Those That Have Driven The G37-pic4.jpg

Last edited by Orbie; 08-16-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Brake dust also comes from how fast your driving and quick stopping. Im sure people who been testing driving this car were smashing through corners and stopping aggressively.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by RoCkY86
Brake dust also comes from how fast your driving and quick stopping. Im sure people who been testing driving this car were smashing through corners and stopping aggressively.
True, and odds are the car was abused like a cheap hooker on it's previous test drives. Just hate to think this car may have the same brake issues as the 03-04's where Infiniti had to create a 3-year warranty on brakes and rotors because people were going through them in 1 year. I drive like a granny most of the time and it only takes 4-5 days for my front rims to turn grey. I'm hoping that won't be the case here, but hey I guess you got to pay to play.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
there are some products out there to protect the rims from brake dust. it's like a repellent, i dunno how it works, but it's suppose to keep the brake dust off the rims.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by nogoodname007
there are some products out there to protect the rims from brake dust. it's like a repellent, i dunno how it works, but it's suppose to keep the brake dust off the rims.
Do you know any of the products names. I would love to get some. My G35 seems to get brake dust on the rims as soon as I drive it.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Michelin™ Brake Dust Repellent

it doesn't completely repel it, but it does protect the rims from damage and makes the rims easier to clean

Old 08-17-2007, 05:41 AM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drove the G37 Last Night

I attended the launch of the G37 Coupe at my local dealer last night.

They had a black fully loaded G37S automatic.

My impressions were that in person the car did not look as much like the prior G35 as pictures suggest. It is somehow rounder everywhere and on close inspection the front and back are quite different than the old model. The paint looked exceptional. Hopefully it will hold up better then what they were using on the prior models! The interior was a major improvemernt from the old model and is like the new sedan.

I was able to drive the car! Even with Sport Package - 19" wheels, it rode significantly quieter and smoother than my '03 Coupe with 18" wheels - it seemed more refined and comfortable. This is actually what impressed me the most about the car. Sure the 330 horse power felt great, but I expected that!
The exhaust note is also quieter than the prior models. At idle there was no sound at all and on acceleration it did have the familiar G exhuast note, but quieter than the prior models. I also felt like I was driving a bigger car - I don't know if the car is any bigger than the old model, but it felt that way.

The car had a window sticker but no prices. It had touch screen Nav, a back-up camera, and voice control. Dealer said they will be getting 9 cars in about a week and will get 20 in September. They are also taking orders. I'm in the Los Angeles area.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Just drove a G37S

My sales guy at the dealer let me know they have their sample G37 in so I just took in a test drive. Here are my impressions compared to my '07 G35S sedan:
Same general steering and throttle feel, although it did seem slightly less "binary" on the throttle pedal than with my G.
Less exhaust noise, more engine rumble.
Suspension had much less give than on my G, but it definitely wasn't in harsh territory. Somewhere in between. My G felt kinda boaty on the way home.
Really can't tell the difference in terms of power/acceleration however, the torque curve is definitely different. It felt like it has much better pull accelerating to pass at highway speeds.

Ipod integration is nice. I like the removable cable. The cable is very sensitive though. I bent it trying to get the ipod situated and it disconnected the ipod. Sales guy hadn't seen the ipod stuff in use so he was happy to see that it worked well. The biggest thing is, with 9001 songs, 270 artists (sales guy was really surprised at how many songs i had) navigation is a little rough. The up/down buttons are discrete. You can't hold it and have it scroll. So having to go up and down through 270 artists to find the one at the end sorta sucks.

Otherwise, it looks, feels, and drives alot like my sedan. The interior is practically identical. I like how it looks in person more than the pictures. Definitely a nice car.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by dopey
Ipod integration is nice. I like the removable cable. The cable is very sensitive though. I bent it trying to get the ipod situated and it disconnected the ipod. Sales guy hadn't seen the ipod stuff in use so he was happy to see that it worked well. The biggest thing is, with 9001 songs, 270 artists (sales guy was really surprised at how many songs i had) navigation is a little rough. The up/down buttons are discrete. You can't hold it and have it scroll. So having to go up and down through 270 artists to find the one at the end sorta sucks.
dopey, I was thinking the same thing until I noticed you could turn the dial to scroll.

Last edited by peterbanks; 08-18-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by peterbanks
dopey, I was thinking the same thing until I noticed you could turn the dial to scroll.

true that.. i finished reading the g37 nav doc and that turn wheel has many uses.... infiniti integration of this dial/button/nav is much nicer than the iDrive i've used in the past.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Yep, every function that requires scrolling can be done by the up/down arrows, Infiniti controller, or the up/down on the steering wheel. If you want to scroll through a large list of songs, the Infinit controller would be the quickest thing to use. On a side note, I love the blue hue that emits around the Infiniti controller at night, it's pretty cool.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:58 AM
Just Drove the G...Impressions

So, i called my dealer, and found out the had A g37 just sitting around, so i decided to drop by and check it out. here is what i found...

Looks:
At first, i really didnt like it, and i was on the "I like the previous gens looks better". Well, the car is gorgeous in person and the lines make alot more sense. It looks more like a coupe. The lights are growing on me and the car is wiiiiiide and i love it! I wanted to see one with the non sport bumper but none around, so i had to deal w/ the sport. But again, very very very nice. after i drove it, i watched other people line up, and drive it around. Its just beautiful to watch.

Interior:
Truely the most significant improvement was in the interior. I sat in the car, and everything was perfectly firm. maybe its the fact that is a new car, but ive never been in a car that felt so...nice. I dunno. There is a bit more rear leg room , but head room sucks. im only 5'9 and while sitting normally my head was hitting the glass, but if i relaxed quite a bit, it felt alright... In terms of Nav and all the little gadgets, its all the same in the sedan, nothing new.

The drive:
The power, it delivers, but it feels similar to the g35. the exhaust about the same, maybe a bit throatier. You could hear the car screaming when i pushed it. Something that i wasnt used to that i loved was that in sport mode (manual mode), when braking, it rev matches for you. It has great pick up, and rides great. very smooth. Also loving the paddles.

Overall, the car was amazing.

BTW, this was at Sawgrass Infiniti in Florida. Dont drink there bottled water...its horrible.

Last edited by FlGdriver118; 08-19-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by FlGdriver118
The drive:
The power, it delivers, but it feels similar to the g37.
I'd be shocked if it didn't. just messin'. Thanks for the review.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Took my test drive yesterday. Wow, what a beautiful car!!

The dealer - Infiniti of Baton Rouge had only a Journey S to drive; it was the only car they had. I took it for a spin while they were appraising my trade.

I've never driven a G before, but this new one was incredible. Great power and drop-dead gorgeous. It was red with the stone interior. It did not have a spoiler, and I really liked it. The chrome lip looked classy.

Sitting next to a G35 Coupe, there is no comparison. I know that's hard for some folks to swallow, but I think I can be fairly objective obout it. Keep in mind, styling is subjective, and I do respect everyone's opinion.

I was dissapointed that there were no 6 speeds to drive. They didn't even have a manual G35 Coupe or Sedan on the lot. So I have to find one to test drive before committing to a manual.

There is a batch of cars coming in in mid-September, and one of those is almost exactly what I'm looking for. Depending whether some issues with my trade can be resolved - they are trying to low-ball me, I could put down a deposit on it this week.

I've got a couple of other options for dealers. There's a dealer in New Orleans, and Houston and Dallas are convenient too.

I'm kind of P.O.'d right now at the Baton Rouge dealer since I have purchased two cars from them in the past two years, and now they are offewring $2K below the published trade-in value! The "Good Condition" price, not even the "Excellent Condition" price. Holy Crap, I'm paying full list for the G.

If I can't get a more decent trade from someone, I'm holding onto my current car. I'd rather not disclose what the car is because I know the dealer monitors this site. We talked about it on Saturday.

I'll keep you guys posted.

gurney

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For Those That Have Driven The G37