G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

Sealing headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sealing headlights

Long story short, I'm fighting the body shop who did the PDR work on my car. Headlight is getting some condensation......they blame it on Infiniti for a defective headlight, they blame it on the body shop, and to make it worse I has my bumper cover replaced after the PDR work and the bumper is touching the headlight.

Talked to the body shop that did my bumper - good friend and sponsor - and he said the headlight was reinstalled wrong and thus causing the clearance issue.

I'm THAT guy who contacts the CEO of Infiniti, but assuming I fail at my mission is there a way to reseal the headlight? Don't feel like buying one seeing as how cheap they are.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
They just get reheated and sealed. They technically arent sealed tight which allows the condensation to escape which is how they were made. If theres clearance issues you can try adjusting the light they are held by three bolts which may clear it enough of the body kit. Most kits need the headlight area to be sanded down around the headlight to make them right. If i read it though you did the bumper after the light got fixed so wouldnt it be on the bodyshop not making it fit?

Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Project
They just get reheated and sealed. They technically arent sealed tight which allows the condensation to escape which is how they were made. If theres clearance issues you can try adjusting the light they are held by three bolts which may clear it enough of the body kit. Most kits need the headlight area to be sanded down around the headlight to make them right. If i read it though you did the bumper after the light got fixed so wouldnt it be on the bodyshop not making it fit?

Ok first off, I just realized I posted in the wrong section.....can someone move this to the 07 08 sedan section?

Liability is in the air I guess. Light was removed to paint hood and PDR work, but dealer body shop takes no responsibility. Suppose the second body shop should have checked fitament, but clearly they didn't screw up the headlight that leaked before they got it. Dealer said it COULD be a defective headlight as well, but Infiniti won't warranty it as it's questionable.

At the end of the day, I'm not looking to point blame or solve an entirely different problem. Are you saying the condensation is normal? Dealer says it should not leak and if not replaced it could short out.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
From everything i have read they are sealed with a silicone that is porous which allows moisture to escape or theres an actual hole. Cant remember the thread where it was debated but it should be able to be reheated and then squished together again. Ive baked mine a few times and never had to put new sealant on ever.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenlawnracing
Ok first off, I just realized I posted in the wrong section.....can someone move this to the 07 08 sedan section?

Liability is in the air I guess. Light was removed to paint hood and PDR work, but dealer body shop takes no responsibility. Suppose the second body shop should have checked fitament, but clearly they didn't screw up the headlight that leaked before they got it. Dealer said it COULD be a defective headlight as well, but Infiniti won't warranty it as it's questionable.
At the end of the day, I'm not looking to point blame or solve an entirely different problem. Are you saying the condensation is normal? Dealer says it should not leak and if not replaced it could short out.
sooo the shop never opened up your headlights? only took them off to paint the hood? and do PDR?

and yeah, they arent completely sealed, air flows in and out of the headlight(idk where from though). but if the shop didnt open up your headlights(check out https://g35driver.com/forums/lightin...e-steps-5.html post 72) then it wouldnt be the shops fault, it would be defective.

Edit: the baking process for coupes and sedans should be the same

Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 AM
Received 227 Likes on 143 Posts
you can always buy more of the sealant

just use a heat gun and reseal with more sealant if needed

Old 09-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
well...... 07/08 headlight have 3 or 4 guides on the headlight enclosure that make the headlight mount perfectly every single time, therefore they CAN NOT be installed wrong. The bumper however, can be prepped and installed wrong, and that is the only way it could be touching the lights.

From the factory the headlight should not be condensing, so either the car has been hit and they didn't replace the light (probably something broken on the back half of the enclosure) or someone has tried to open them.

The silicone is a straight seal, there are valves on the back to let moisture escape. Look around on the back and see if anything looks like it's missing, because if the valve fell off you have an open hole in the light.

As for resealing, take it out of the car, put it in the oven at 220 degrees C for 8 minutes, then squish it together wearing some clean leather gloves and the moisture will go away.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DGS
As for resealing, take it out of the car, put it in the oven at 220 degrees C for 8 minutes, then squish it together wearing some clean leather gloves and the moisture will go away.
220° C = 428° F

I think you meant 220° F.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Wooooops yea F***** lol

Old 09-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Haha! Yeah, that wouldn't have ended well at 428° F.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:27 PM
It's best to just throw them in on broil for about a day or so. That way they come a part real easy and smooth.

IGNORE THIS COMMENT 250% Sarcasm rating.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:45 PM
I heard 215F is all that is necessary...

Old 09-26-2011, 11:57 PM
If you like to struggle and really pry at the headlight, then sure 215 is fine.

I like mine to split open without me having to work hard and risk cracking the lens/rear enclosure.

Everyone also use to say you need to remove all the light bulbs, ballasts and wiring.... but that's before smart people started doing the lights and realized the burn rate of your average light bulb is over 250 degrees centigrade, melting point of your average rubber jacket is 300+ centigrade and the ballast consists of nothing internally that can be damaged by 215 Degrees F.

And one step a head

Last edited by 4DGS; 09-27-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:47 AM
meh, im gunna take all that stuff out just to keep it out of the way. I really just need to take out that orange blinker lens and replace it with a clear lens. then i can get a white LED to throw in there

Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 AM
Trust me, I've done almost 100 sets of lights, it doesn't get in the way and it's a waste of your time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sealing headlights