Did you go from a G35 to a G37?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you go from a G35 to a G37?

Hi guys, happy holidays. If you skim through my thread here

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...nto-new-g.html

you'll see that Im letting go of a G35 6MT coupe and debating on what to do. Another G35, try to hold on to the great G35 engine I maintained and now I'm thinking, what about a used G37 coupe??

I realized the G37 has been out since 2008 so its within my price range. I'm getting $12k from the insurance company and I've seen some 08 and 09s with about 80-100k miles for $15-17k, manual with some options like moon roof. Is this too good to be true? Are there any major mechanical problems I should be aware of? Should i spend a little more and get a 2010 or 2011?

I don't know the G37 coupe well besides specs on paper. Anyone that has gone from a G35 to a G37 or has a G37, what are your thoughts? Overall are you very happy, is it too much like the G35 meaning it wasn't really any sort of upgrade?

Thank you guys a lot, I need to decide on Monday tomorrow what to do with the wrecked car. RIP G35

Old 12-28-2014, 11:07 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
I would go to a G37 if I could. I did get the M37 as my other daily. Same transmission same engine. It is a little more beefy then my G35 when it was stock. These are great cars. I would stay w/ the G37 if you really like the car. Can't go wrong. You could always look in the myg37 page to learn more

Old 12-29-2014, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
I would go to a G37 if I could. I did get the M37 as my other daily. Same transmission same engine. It is a little more beefy then my G35 when it was stock. These are great cars. I would stay w/ the G37 if you really like the car. Can't go wrong. You could always look in the myg37 page to learn more
Thanks man. I researched the G37 a lot yesterday. It will be between that a used Audi A5 or S5. I really dont have much research done for the Audis though.

Does anyone else have any input?

Old 12-29-2014, 06:42 PM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000xvlconcept
Thanks man. I researched the G37 a lot yesterday. It will be between that a used Audi A5 or S5. I really dont have much research done for the Audis though.

Does anyone else have any input?
Look at test driving a low mile, A4, with 2.0Turbo, Quattro, and S Line trim.

I have a 2010 S5 and the G35, let me know if you have any questions.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I like my G35! I had a loaner 2013 g37 it was nice but it seemed back dated in the cockpit! It rode nice had some power. But driving it on roads that l drove my G35 on the G35 was better! I took corners fast like l always do it didnt impress me as better just newer! G37 is a 2nd gen. Infiniti toned them down towards luxury. The G35 is performance oriented. Take both on test drive and make your choice. Everyone has their ideas of whats better. You have to decide whats better!

Old 12-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Gman56
I like my G35! I had a loaner 2013 g37 it was nice but it seemed back dated in the cockpit! It rode nice had some power. But driving it on roads that l drove my G35 on the G35 was better! I took corners fast like l always do it didnt impress me as better just newer! G37 is a 2nd gen. Infiniti toned them down towards luxury. The G35 is performance oriented. Take both on test drive and make your choice. Everyone has their ideas of whats better. You have to decide whats better!
Agree the G37 cockpit is a step down from the G35. Sat in them back to back and definitely liked the G35 better. Even my wife couldn't understand why the older version looked better.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:45 PM
When the G35 was introduced it was made to compete with the BMW 3 series. I almost bought a 328i awd until l drove the G35X. Infinti is what l wanted! You can find 1st gens with low miles and maintained well. I found my 05X 85,650 miles one owner with all the service records since new! Car is mint no rips or tears in the seats.even got 2nd key fob never used. I would have liked a coupe but no awd. I like awd snow is no problem! I think it handles better with awd.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:02 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by Gman56
I think it handles better with awd.
I feel compelled to puncture the AWD myth. On dry pavement, Infiniti/Nissan's variable AWD system is only operating from a standing start up to about 16 mph. It then phases out until at at speed it is behaving as a truly RWD car. If wheels are slipping then the AWD comes back into play. The snow button locks it into 50/50 and cuts power. That's my understanding.

The handling is really a product of its rear wheel drive characteristics, the front/rear weight balance with the "front midships" concept, and the suspension. And the X-versions pay a 200 lb penalty for the weight of the transfer case/propeller shaft.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:00 AM
Thats true about awd. But when l drive the G37 around corners like my G35X it hugged the road better than the 37. And less body roll. It does weigh more but it will get up and go! Im comparing the cars from actually driving them on the same roads. Best way to compare them! Awd is all l want in a car. Rwd is next. If the coupe came in awd l would have got one. I lived in jersey last winter. All the snow we got 53 inches! I never once got stuck! 12 in of fresh snow didnt stop it! You get performance and no worries on snow covered roads!

Old 01-02-2015, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Happy New Years!

Im leaning towards a 2008 G37 Anyone know or recomend spending an extra few grand on getting a 2009 or 2010 besides less mileage??

Old 01-02-2015, 08:25 AM
I went from a 2003 G35 to a 2013 G37 and so far am loving it. Yes, there are a few things I like better about the 35, but over all the 37 is a step forward. IMO it handles better and feels slightly faster. I am also getting better mileage. The G35 is more aggressive in its execution, allowing for luxury, but not shouting it at you. The G37 is somewhat the reverse. A sports car to be sure, but a gentleman's sports car. Obviously with mods, you can change the character of a car any way you want. As for the year, go as late as possible. There have been significant detail changes over the years. If you go auto, the '08 has a 5 speed, but starting in '09 a 7 speed was added, so I would at least try for that. In '10 there were some updates including grill and headlights in gunmetal. Also the NAV screen was updated with higher resolution and functionality. So if your going to keep the car a while, I would spend a little more and try for a later year. Audi is also a good choice, but I stuck with Infiniti for 2 reasons. First my G35 was reliable as hell. I had no major repairs until about 140k. 2nd, the initial cost and upkeep cost of Japanese cars is less than their German counterparts. Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Blade Runner
I went from a 2003 G35 to a 2013 G37 and so far am loving it. Yes, there are a few things I like better about the 35, but over all the 37 is a step forward. IMO it handles better and feels slightly faster. I am also getting better mileage. The G35 is more aggressive in its execution, allowing for luxury, but not shouting it at you. The G37 is somewhat the reverse. A sports car to be sure, but a gentleman's sports car. Obviously with mods, you can change the character of a car any way you want. As for the year, go as late as possible. There have been significant detail changes over the years. If you go auto, the '08 has a 5 speed, but starting in '09 a 7 speed was added, so I would at least try for that. In '10 there were some updates including grill and headlights in gunmetal. Also the NAV screen was updated with higher resolution and functionality. So if your going to keep the car a while, I would spend a little more and try for a later year. Audi is also a good choice, but I stuck with Infiniti for 2 reasons. First my G35 was reliable as hell. I had no major repairs until about 140k. 2nd, the initial cost and upkeep cost of Japanese cars is less than their German counterparts. Hope this helps and good luck with your search.
Yeah I was planning on having the car for only a few years but realized these cars are so reliable and its a big update luxury and option wise from the G35 that I'd prob keep it as a daily driver. I've never had a daily driver and this would be a hell of a nice DD

I do want 6MT again though, you think I should go newer than 08 for a manual? I know for AT it would be a good idea based on what you said.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by 2000xvlconcept
Yeah I was planning on having the car for only a few years but realized these cars are so reliable and its a big update luxury and option wise from the G35 that I'd prob keep it as a daily driver. I've never had a daily driver and this would be a hell of a nice DD

I do want 6MT again though, you think I should go newer than 08 for a manual? I know for AT it would be a good idea based on what you said.
I don't think there were any differences for the 6MT, but some googling may prove me wrong. As for other reasons to go newer, as I stated earlier there were many detail changes inside and out. I see '08 peeps trying to get a later model front and rear fascia for these cars, on occasion a question will come up about retro fitting the newer NAV screen. I would research the changes and see which ones, if any, matter to you. Given the choice, I would go for a '10 model year as that seems to contain the bulk of the changes. Or wait a few months and the new Q60 will be out!

Old 01-07-2015, 12:30 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
And the X-versions pay a 200 lb penalty for the weight of the transfer case/propeller shaft.
And that weight is mostly in the wrong spot too...the front.

Always felt the AWD models had a little more oversteer than the RWD models due to being a tad bit more noseheavy

Old 01-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My Q50 lease will be up in Nov. Thinking about the G37 6mt Limited edition. Since the new Q60 will be out at the same time, I should get an awesome deal for it.

If not, I might look into the 2016 Q60. But I doubt it has a 6mt option. Also, if they are forcing the DAS on the sports coupe. I'll pass.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Did you go from a G35 to a G37?