General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Tire pressure light on...but pressure ok

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 06:49 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fbpem1
03 was the year it was optional and maybe very early 04. Same with the FX

Wannabe6MT, what probably happened to you is the tires were reading the rear and not the fronts since you were spinning and tripped the code because the other two in the front wern't going fast enough.

As for the trunk full size spare yes it is has a monitor in it, but it does need to be reinitialized to work, if you move your wheels and tires around you should always have them reinitialized. I do every car i work on, some are more sensitive than others to that (read: m's and 09+fx's) The G's will be fine but if you do have your spare wheel on there, and the original wheel in the trunk the tpms light will be illuminated since you have 1 tire on there that isn't registered to the bcm, the one that is registered isn't sending off a signal that the bcm recoginizes, becasue its not moving so its not giving off a reading. wow that was long winded.
You're saying that Schrader sensors need to be moving to transmit? Where did you hear that?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:11 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
I found something that might help some of you guys having issues with your TPMS...

Last edited by dofu; 12-16-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Yup, now i have to decide.

Pay to have them reinitialized, or pay to have the two tires swapped because i want to put the nice brand new "spare" wheel back in the trunk in case i ever damage a wheel.
you shouldn't have to pay it literally takes 5 minutes, its not really something we charge for unless there is a bad sensor and then we charge break down of tire and sensor install. Dealers will normally charge between 0.3 and 0.5 tenths of an hour for this. Also keep in mind, to my knowledge none of the "specialized tools" for TPMS work with nissan/infiniti's tpms system, i tried a few off of the snap on truck and no worky so dealer is your best option. Just go in a plead your case or get it with an oil change, shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Originally Posted by Coach
You're saying that Schrader sensors need to be moving to transmit? Where did you hear that?

the sensors in these cars, will tranmit every 10 seconds when the vehicle is moving at a rate above 25mph or every 1-3 minutes with the vehicle standing still and key on.

I might have phrased something wrong but could have been a fluke, but if i drive a car on the rack with the VDC off, and let the rear tires spin at about 30-40 mph, it trips all kinds of codes in many different ecms.

Last edited by fbpem1; 12-16-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by dofu
I found something that might help some of you guys having issues with your TPMS...

only if there is a leak, best way to find that leak is spray some soapy water around the stem and see if it bubbles, otherwise that perticular tsb would not apply. I have only seen a couple of them do that, and normally a happens if someoen over tighetens the 12mm lock nut around the stem. And they leak pretty quickly about 5-8 psi a day so you tire will be noticably low.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by fbpem1
the sensors in these cars, will tranmit every 10 seconds when the vehicle is moving at a rate above 25mph or every 1-3 minutes with the vehicle standing still and key on.

I might have phrased something wrong but could have been a fluke, but if i drive a car on the rack with the VDC off, and let the rear tires spin at about 30-40 mph, it trips all kinds of codes in many different ecms.
I think it's more like the BCM searches for 4 coded transmissions at different intervals based on vehicle speed, not that the sensors transmit variably. I'm certain that the logic is all in the BCM, the speed is determined by the VSS and that the stems are just a simple pressure switch and transmitter.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:45 PM
going back to the "cold weather affecting tire psi" thought... would inflating the tires up with nitrogen relieve this issue since I believe I heard nitrogen can not be affected in the same way during cold weather conditions as regular air in the tires?

Old 12-29-2008, 05:40 AM
Originally Posted by ZIG35
going back to the "cold weather affecting tire psi" thought... would inflating the tires up with nitrogen relieve this issue since I believe I heard nitrogen can not be affected in the same way during cold weather conditions as regular air in the tires?
Nope. All gasses expand and contract with temperature and change pressure accordingly. Air is about 78% nitrogen, the other 22% doesn't change things that much.
Race teams use nitrogen because the expansion is more predictable in extreme heat cycles, mostly because the nitrogen they use is processed to be very dry.
The best thing to do is check your pressures twice a month with a good pressure gauge - top them up as they drop in the fall and bleed some off as they increase in the spring.
BTW, it's not just cold weather - you'll get the same pressure change between 60 and 100F as you will between 0 and 40 F.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:39 PM
I was having similar problems with my 06 g35 coupe the light was constantly going on and off. I assumed it was just the cold. Then I went to check the tire pressure and put some air in my front driver side. I took the cap off and right where the ridges are for the valve stem cap split and was leaking then when the cap came of half of the valve stem came with it. I took the wheel to infiniti and argued until they covered the cost for a new monitor, bc my car is still under warranty but those monitors are on a conditional basis but they are like $180.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 PM
30psi isn't enough to reset the TPMS warning light

My warning light came on today, so I pulled over and found that the left rear tire pressure was down to 15psi. I drove a mile to a gas station where they removed a drywall screw and plugged the hole. When I drove away the warning light did not turn off, even after about 15 highway miles. So I checked the pressure again and found the tire was inflated to 30psi. I topped it up to 35psi, then drove a mile at about 30mph, and the warning light turned off. 2008 G35 Journey with nav and 18" factory wheels.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:34 AM
According to the manual on the '06, there is no sensor in the spare. My light stayed on after a 100 mile trip with all 4 tires set to 35 psi cold. the Infiniti dealer says they have to "reclibrate' the system at a cost of $52.50, but if a sensor is bad, they will do that under warranty.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeManZee
According to the manual on the '06, there is no sensor in the spare.

Not in the space saver spare, but there is one in the full size spare.

But it's not programmed, so if you swap the spare on, the light will come on unless you program it to the car

Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 PM
What if the preesure goes low in the spare? I have the light on, but all 4 main tires have 35 psi. I have a black steel wheel for a spare, which doesn't appear to have a sensor in it.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I have an 04 Gx and it came with the full size spare as part of the options package and it has NO TPMS installed on the spare.. the valve stem is the typical black rubber valve stem.. has a virgin OEM Bridgestone on it.. still has the nubbies on the tire from the lack of road use.

just an fyi...