General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

2006 G35 keyless problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 G35 keyless problem

So I have a 2006 g35 and my keyless remote was working just fine, then one day just completely stopped working, brand new batteries in both sets, and nothing is happening still. What sort of things can I check for, really annoying having to use a key, rather not bring it to the dealer if I don't have to. Thanks guys.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Received 513 Likes on 420 Posts
i'm assuming the car is running fine?

Old 07-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Yes car is running great, no idea what would cause this.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Aside from keyless entry do any of the buttons work - can you open the trunk by pressing the button on either fob? I can't think of a way to test the fob itself but check those new batteries to be sure they're good (I've bought dead watch batteries before...).

Beyond that it's possible your car has somehow lost the registration for your fobs. There are a few onboard computer systems involved (BCM, CAN, LAN...) which would make that fault difficult to trace. The dealer's Consult-II might be the quickest (and only) way to figure it out.

Good luck

Old 07-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Give this a shot.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Nothing works on the remote, pretty much tried 3 new batteries, and nothing. Both sets of remotes. Think it has something to do with the reciever in the car, but gonna try the reprograming video, and see what happens.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:49 PM
K so I tried instructions from that video, no luck, any other suggestions guys?

Old 07-05-2011, 12:42 AM
If you know the fob batteries are good and the above programing routine didn't work then something is certainly amiss. Look at fuses first. There are some under the hood and some in the passenger compartment. It looks like fuse #77 in the box near the battery, and #1, #12, #18, & #19 inside are all involved. If they all look good, and this is the only thing in the car that isn't working, then just FYI the "Intelligent Key Unit" (black box) is located behind the glovebox (see "F" below). Have you had anything done in that area that may have knocked connections loose? Like changing the cabin filter?

Attached Thumbnails 2006 G35 keyless problem-intelunit.jpg   2006 G35 keyless problem-intelunit2.png  
Old 07-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Hey, thanks I will check all the fuses and see if i can find the intelligent key unit, and check and see if it's connected well. Is it connected kinda like a relay, just kinda plugs in? Never had anywork done in that area, but who knows maybe somehow it got knocked out. I will try that asap, and let u know, really appreciate all the help, thanks!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:53 PM
so kept trying the reprogram squence dunno if this meanse anything, but when i put the key in until hazards flash, they will flash but they don't have turn to acc. and press the button. Also the intelligent key unit, is it visible without removing glove box? saw somethin that may resemble it, but unsure, everything looked good. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Well, at that point in the video when you turn the key to the ACC position and press the remote button the fob is supposed to transmit and the car is supposed to receive the radio signal. So if one half of that isn't happening then the car won't flash the confirmation code and the remote won't be registered because the car hasn't "heard" the transmission... So one side of the communication isn't happening.

So again the order to check is:

#1. Battery in fob (you say you know but since there are no indicators on the fob itself I recommend checking the battery with a volt meter, and be sure it's not in upside-down.
#2. Fuses, which you did
#3. I believe you can see at least the corner of the black box from underneath if you remove the panel above the passenger's feet. But it is unlikely anything has simply disconnected because all the plugs lock into place...

I really think it's dealer time unless anybody else has any ideas. This is a weird failure which involves several of the car's computers and the quickest answer would be to have it plugged in and diagnosed.

Hope you get it figured out.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Ok so I brought it to the dealership, the remote works, but car is not getting any signal from it, they reset the bcm, and still nothing, so thinking its the antenna box? Anyone know where I can get one for cheap? Really want this fixed.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Huh. Such a weird failure. Nobody else in here seems to have had the same experience. But, this is one of the car's black boxes and sometimes they just have a cold solder joint or bad chip or something...

Your car has like 6 antennas plus 3 outside "request" buttons on the doors and trunk. All these are wired to the "Intelligent Key Unit" that I showed you above. Your process of elimination seems to point to that as being the faulty piece so that's probably the black box you need. I'm no pro though so don't go by what I say. If the dealer connected their Consult-II they should have been able to pinpoint exactly where the fault was. Sounds like they maybe didn't tell you all the details...

If I were you I'd call the Dealer's parts department, ask them to look up the price for an "Intelligent Key Unit" for your car and ask for the part number (you know, to save THEM time when you call back to order it...) I would expect their price to be crazy expensive but you never know, it might not. Once you have the part number you can do some online searching. Your cheapest route would be auto salvage. If you could find a wrecked '06 somewhere you could probably grab that box for cheap...

Sure hope you can get it to work, the keyless thing is a great feature. Good luck!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:52 PM
They also said to me that I didn't have the intelligent key box, as it did not come with this model. So I'm assuming the box behind the glove box would be the keyless reciever etc. Anyone know a site to get these from? Dealer said they are about 250 from them.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Oh sheesh. I've been spouting all this info for the Intelligent Key and you have the "Remote Keyless Entry" system, don't you? Your fob looks like the first pic below?

OK, sorry about that. In that case it's back to your fuses first. In the passenger compartment, the fusebox by the driver's footrest - check #1, #6, #18 and #21.

If those are good head back under the hood again in the "fusable links" box in front of the battery (see second pic below) check that 10A fuse and the 50A fuse (although if the 50A were blown I don't think anything would work).

If those are good there are a few more in in the box to the left of the battery (see 3rd pic) as indicated #71 and #78.

Again, sorry I misunderstood. It would be GREAT if it were just one of these fuses hanging you up!

Attached Thumbnails 2006 G35 keyless problem-fob2.jpg   2006 G35 keyless problem-fusablelinks.jpg   2006 G35 keyless problem-ipdm_e_r.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 G35 keyless problem