General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

AT fluid drain and fill at 90k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AT fluid drain and fill at 90k

I'm not sure if the previous owner ever had the fluid changed. Would it be safe to do it with this mileage? 87k to be exact.. Kinda iffy about it after reading some of the post on here.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's perfectly fine if you do the drain/fill technique...it's only a problem to have a FLUSH done on your transmission. This is due to high mileage In the transmission, you can "shock" your transmission and ruin a lot! Basically when you don't flush your transmission for many many miles the build up it forms on the inside is used as a type of grip for the machine to work properly.. So if you FLUSH it will clean most of this build up off and it will cause the transmission to slip a lot resulting in problems...just play it safe a drain and fill..drain a few quarts and fill with same amount of new fluid, drive for a few thousand miles and repeat until the liquid you see when draining is newish in color. Also don't forget to look for metal shavings and stuff when initially draining, this is a sign something more significant is happening to your transmission that needs to be dealt with

The following users liked this post:
Spartan268 (08-31-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ACE420
It's perfectly fine if you do the drain/fill technique...it's only a problem to have a FLUSH done on your transmission. This is due to high mileage In the transmission, you can "shock" your transmission and ruin a lot! Basically when you don't flush your transmission for many many miles the build up it forms on the inside is used as a type of grip for the machine to work properly.. So if you FLUSH it will clean most of this build up off and it will cause the transmission to slip a lot resulting in problems...just play it safe a drain and fill..drain a few quarts and fill with same amount of new fluid, drive for a few thousand miles and repeat until the liquid you see when draining is newish in color. Also don't forget to look for metal shavings and stuff when initially draining, this is a sign something more significant is happening to your transmission that needs to be dealt with
Thanks so much! Very informative 😄

Old 08-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Easy way to tell if your AT has been serviced, pull the trans dip stick and check the color of the fluid. Red means it's fairly fresh, black means it may never have been changed or it's very old. Drain & Fill will solve your doubts! Check with Nissan for the cost, Infiniti will charge you at least 30% more just because they can. Where ever you take it for service they must use only AT fluid specified for our Nisson's!!
Gary

The following users liked this post:
Spartan268 (08-31-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 02:37 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I've done 2 drain & fills on mine. The first @ 217,000 Km and the second @ 221,000 Km. I used Valvoline High Mileage Multi Vehicle fluid. No issues and it lists Matic J on the label as one of the many fluids it safely replaces. It costs half the price of Nissan Matic J, which up here is $10 a liter.
From the looks of the fluid that came out, it was never changed.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by markc
I've done 2 drain & fills on mine. The first @ 217,000 Km and the second @ 221,000 Km. I used Valvoline High Mileage Multi Vehicle fluid. No issues and it lists Matic J on the label as one of the many fluids it safely replaces. It costs half the price of Nissan Matic J, which up here is $10 a liter.
From the looks of the fluid that came out, it was never changed.
I still wouldn't use anything but Nissan Matic J! Even AMSOIL manufacture of the finest synthetics recommends our using Nissan fluids. If there was anything better for our ATs they'd be making it! As a side note, if you find your trans fluid burnt or black do a drain & fill several times within a few months which is better for your AT than a flush!
Gary

Old 08-31-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I also did 3 drain & fills on our I35 40,000 Kms ago. I used Mobil multi vehicle in it. No issues there either. I'll be dropping the fluid again in the G in the next couple of weeks.