General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

04 G35 coupe issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 G35 coupe issues

Hey guys. I seem to be having all the "common" issues known for my wifes 04 G coupe.

My wife bought the car brand new and has made sure that all maintenance has been kept up over the last 11 years and its really frustrating to see all these issues come up over time. Reading that these issues are so common just makes me think that Nissan used low quality parts.

Anyhow, here is the list of issues that I've seen so far:
• windows wont roll up or down. This started with just the passenger side. At first, using the trick by holding the lever up or down and closing door worked, but now the window wont go up or down at all. Now the driver side is starting to have this issue and i expect it to completely stop working pretty soon.

• door locks wont lock or unlock for both passenger side and driver side. This issue happens intermittently, 50% of the time.

• seat belt wont retract on the driver side.
• driver seat power adjustments dont work, except moving forward and back.

• the perforated leather pieces on both left and right side panels near the back seats have peeled off.

• the gas gauge intermittently drops down to empty and goes back up while driving. Sometimes the gas gauge stays at empty for over a 100 miles. I assume its an issue with the sending unit.

• unable to fill up the gas tank because the pump stops as if its full. A lot of times it will not even fill up 1 gallon before stopping.

• original paint is peeling off the hood and roof. I was told by a auto paint shop that Nissan and a handful of other companies used defective paint from Dupont and the cost to reshoot the hood/roof and blend the fenders/bumpers would cost between $2k-$3k. Seems pretty steep so i just bought a Seibon oem style cf hood for $600 installed. Now i just need to decide on whether to repaint or wrap the roof in gloss black.

Overall, im really disappointed with all these issues, as it seems like theres way too many for such a nice car. At this point it might be best to part ways with this car and get a new one, but then I think I just want to keep it as a project car and dump some real money into it by putting a vortech kit in it, getting some recaro buckets and fixing all those stupid little issues.

Anyone know how much it would run to fix the door locks and windows? I have a feeling it would cost over $1k using oem parts.

Advice is appreciated.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:11 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
I'll start off with pretty much all these issues have been discussed many times before. Try searching for more information.

-Probably need new motors. You can try to reset first.

-Need door lock actuators.

-Try taking apart the seat switch and clean it thoroughly. May need another switch.

-Clean the d-ring that the seat belt goes through. Residue likes to build up in there. TSB: ITB09-062

-Get an upholstery shop to re-glue them.

-Not sure about the gas gauge. May need to clean the fuel level sensors.

-There is TSB: ITB08-041a for the not being able to fill all the way.

-Never heard of defective paint. Laser red has been known to haze. Depending on the mileage and overall condition it may or may not be worth it to repaint.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:54 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Door motors and locks are common to fail. Mine went out under warranty and no issues recently. Drivers side seat belt has always been a PIA and no one has an answer except to guide it in when leaving your car. Gas gauge isn't that accurate, something I've learned to live with. You may find out that the pump shutting off early when filling your tank is more about the pump itself, try switching pumps...worked for me. Nissan doesn't use cheap paint, it's all about how you take care of it! Is the G kept clean and how often do you wax it? Is your G garaged or left out in the elements day/night for 11 years? Waxed, garaged or covered your paint should look like new...Gary

Old 07-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Door motors and locks are common to fail. Mine went out under warranty and no issues recently. Drivers side seat belt has always been a PIA and no one has an answer except to guide it in when leaving your car. Gas gauge isn't that accurate, something I've learned to live with. You may find out that the pump shutting off early when filling your tank is more about the pump itself, try switching pumps...worked for me. Nissan doesn't use cheap paint, it's all about how you take care of it! Is the G kept clean and how often do you wax it? Is your G garaged or left out in the elements day/night for 11 years? Waxed, garaged or covered your paint should look like new...Gary
Its mostly parked in a parking garage during the day but left out at night, so it does get some protection from the sun for the most part. I get it washed weekly and waxed every 4-6 months. The paint isnt oxidizing or anything, but is literally peeling off leaving the grey primer exposed. It usually peels a little bit after getting a wash or after its been out in the rain.

I was told that the bonding agent in the paint from Dupont was defective during those years (early/mid 2000's) and thats why the paint is easily peeling off.

I even tried putting on painters tape to cover the exposed areas where the paint was peeling, in an attempt to prevent more peeling when i wash the car or when it rains, but that was a big mistake and when i peel off the tape, the paint would come off with it.

For the gas gauge, its worse than just being slightly inaccurate. I can fill it up, drive it for 10 minutes and the gas gauge will drop down to empty and the warning light will come on. The gauge basically fluctuates randomly from empty to normal, to 1/2 then back up to normal then back down to empty. Its not that big of deal for me since i reset the trip meter every time i fill up and know that i need to fill up every 250 miles to be safe. The wife has a hard time understanding that concept though.

I think youre right about the pumps being part of the gas filling problem because it seems to only happen on certain pumps. But those same pumps work fine for my other cars. Why is the G picky about which pumps to use?