General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Belt Chirping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:49 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Belt Chirping

Lately I've been having an annoying "chirping' noise from my belts after a cold start (such as in the morning on the way to work or after the car has sat for a while). Its not the "squeal" that you get from belts being too tight/too loose...it's a perpetual noise that speeds up with the revs. After some time running it eventually goes away.

The belts are about 2 1/2 years old, swapped them out in January 2014 with OEM belts since I was experiencing the "squeal" on start ups and assumed they were the originals as my car only has about 60k at the time.

Anyways, I'm under the car last weekend doing a full brake job, oil change, and installing a Z-Speed aluminum undershroud when I notice my belts. Looking at the picture you'll notice this strip of rust on the outer side of the power steering accessory belt. I'm think this could be the culprit of my belt chirp.

Looks like the idler in middle of the picture has a little ring of rust to coincide with the strip on the belt. Any thoughts? Solutions? Recommendations on pully/idler replacements, if not OEM?

Thanks as always!

Attached Thumbnails Belt Chirping-img_1054.jpg  
Old 08-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Could be that idler, I think they can wear out. Also, if you have an electric fan (as opposed to a mechanical one) you may want to remove the redundant idler pulley on the power steering side and go to a shorter belt (the upper idler on that side you're looking at). In our '05 and '06 I found those to be the source of this kind of noise and just deleted them.

Here's a thread - if it applies to you:
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...-mod-pics.html

Old 08-27-2016, 01:16 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Idler doesn't look right from the color and belt looks worn. Have your mechanic or Nissan replace both and don't alter the system Nissan designed! Notice I didn't post Infiniti, not a fan of their stealerships!
Gary

Old 08-27-2016, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by 05_SkylineSedan
Could be that idler, I think they can wear out. Also, if you have an electric fan (as opposed to a mechanical one) you may want to remove the redundant idler pulley on the power steering side and go to a shorter belt (the upper idler on that side you're looking at). In our '05 and '06 I found those to be the source of this kind of noise and just deleted them.

Here's a thread - if it applies to you:
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...-mod-pics.html
I'm thinking it has gotta be that accessory tensioner. After taking a closer look, my A/C belt and the A/C tensioner look to be fine. It's only te accessory belt and tensioner that are discolored. The grooved underside of the belt appears to be fine.

Great suggestion on the idler pulley delete. I may as well do it since I'll be replacing that belt anyways. Looks like my 2003 has an electric fan based on a peek in the engine bay. I didn't even know some G's had mechanical fans, was that an early Sedan thing only?

Old 08-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
Idler doesn't look right from the color and belt looks worn. Have your mechanic or Nissan replace both and don't alter the system Nissan designed! Notice I didn't post Infiniti, not a fan of their stealerships!
Gary
Thanks Gary. I'm going to do what you've suggested...minus the part about not altering the system Nissan designed