General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

6mt conversion question regarding actual chassis

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6mt conversion question regarding actual chassis

Hey guys new user here sorry for possibly not asking in the right spot etc.

I just sold my skyline and I'm after a new winter beater. Was thinking an early g35 sedan would work nicely. However, they're old now and most cars in my area are up around the 300,000km mark. from what i understand the vq is getting pretty tired at that point in most cases.

I would prefer a manual trans but for a manual trans I'm paying at least $3000cad for one with 300k km or more. The auto trans are significantly cheaper. I can grab one for $1000 with like 180-200k on it.

So walking around the local junker there is a crashed g35 with the 6speed all complete, they want next to nothing for the parts. and I've done a few conversions (mostly 240's and skylines) however everyone really just says itll cost too much and buy a 6spd car.

Is there anything really different between the 2 cars? I saw 1 person say the tunnels were different and the trans physically didnt fit but no one else backed him up. If its a thing of cost then I'll buy an auto and convert, the cost for the parts including the tranny was only $300 for everything. But if i have to cut and weld/modify te tunnels its really not something I want to get into.

Anyone have any insight?