General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Please help, trunk won't open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help, trunk won't open

I have an 04 g35x and my trunk will not open. Using the key fob and the trunk release button there is no sound whatsoever, pushing down on the trunk or messing with it doesn't change anything. At this moment I believe it's a wire in the trunk as seen on that one YouTube video titled g35 trunk quick fix or something along those lines. I also did check the fuse box by the driver door and in the battery compartment and couldn't find anything labeled trunk. So what I tried next was through the center armrest hole use a mic stand(all I had with me) to try to pull the emergency release down. So I'm fiddling with it and I notice that with how it loops and is clamped down or something, the loop is changing in size, and then I pull it down and the loop breaks free and it's just hanging down into the middle of the trunk an I was able to grab it. Lightly tugged on it in multiple directions but nothing. And then I gave up for that day because it was like 2 am and I still had to walk back to my apartment (I'm at school, so my the greatest location and time to be doing this, and just took apart my bookbag and grabbed things one by one out of the hole.) so the next day I tried pulling in it again. And what do you know it broke off, and now I have no way to open the trunk, and if it definitely is the wire I don't know how to even get to it. What do I do.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
There should be a little black one in there somewhere that you can pull to get into the trunk. The issue it sounds like you are having is similar to everyone else having trunk opening problems - the ground wire or the power wire to the opening mechanism is being sawed in half by a metal body connection.

You need to find a way to get the trunk open and then begin pulling back the rubber snake out of the body. It is most likely cut there.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:48 PM
What is this little black one you are speaking of?

Old 02-01-2017, 03:38 AM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
There are two emergency releases, one is a glowing pull handle in the center of the trunk lid and the other is a small black finger sized pull near the pass through. See #5 & 6 in the 1st pic and #4 & 6 in the second.

Attached Thumbnails Please help, trunk won't open-lid.jpg   Please help, trunk won't open-lid2.jpg  
Old 02-01-2017, 03:47 AM
And this is definitely on the 04 sedan? If so, thank you you are a lifesaver, because I haven't seen anything else on any other forums talking about that, everyone just says green handle green handle, well mine broke lol. Now to see if I can reach it.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
question:
I have the same problem on my 04 2dr. But while trying to pull the neon rope i broke.
is there another way

Old 02-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Read above there is two pull locations!

Old 02-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Read above there is two pull locations!
thanks i kinda figure that for the diagram but what if that fail lol

Old 02-01-2017, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Then you have to remove the liner around where the cable broke, and pull where it did not break from ;/.

The following users liked this post:
manz804 (03-16-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 12:51 AM
Today I was trying to reach for that second release and I could find the spot where it looks like it's supposed to be(could only see by using my phones camera) and there is nothing in that spot.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:50 AM
update:
i found out the trunk will not open cause there was to broken wires.
1 wire for the trunk and the other for trunk interior light.
solider , taped, rewrap wire, easy fix
thanks......

Old 07-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Damn, has your trunk been non functional for that long? Or are you just updating now.

So so following up with my trunk, there was no second trunk release like in the diagram, there was clearly a spot for it in the trim, but no actual release. I ended up getting the trunk open after pressing on the right side of the trunk and hitting the trunk release on the key fob, it had to be pushed in just the right spot and and the right time with the trunk release since you were pushing down and it well, had to be pulled up to open. I was totally unprepared for this as it was in the middle of my schools parking lot, so I had to grab something to tie to the wire for the emergency trunk release because chances are I wouldn't be able to get it open again. Ended up tying some disposable headphones full get from the gym to it. And was able to use that o pull through the fold down armrest until I was able to really fix it.

then upon really inspecting it and trying to fix it, there was a wire in the bundle of trunk wires that went up the right side of the trunk that was frayed, the overall design of that bundle sees a lot of action from opening and closing, and the wire that broke seemed shorter than the others so along with constant bending back and forth there was probably tension on the wire making it break. I did purchase this car used at 150k miles and it looked like the bundle had once been repaired.

I added some extra wire for some slack and it started working good as new, the placement of the wire seems to be In a good spot now not receiving too much bending. I was also able to repair the emergency release as it broke when I tried to pull it (my luck). So all is good.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

I still need to extend mine. It just went bad again... time to install a backup camera anyways.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 Coupe
I have an '06 G35 Coupe and have the same problem. Caveat is that when the trunk is open, the latch release mechanism will operate with key FOB and internal release switch, but it will not operate when trunk is closed (no sound at all when FOB or internal release is activated)

Old 02-19-2020, 12:11 PM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Could still be the wires passing into the trunk lid - making contact in the up position, disconnected when closed. Slowly lower the trunk lid while pressing the trunk release and see if at some angle it stops working. If so, time to pull the rubber boot and inspect those wires. If it works all the way down but still won't pop when closed, it could be that the alignment of the strike is jamming up the mechanism? (Was the car ever rear-ended?) Maybe try leaning on the lid to see if that frees it enough to pop?

The following users liked this post:
Steve Reynolds (02-19-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.