Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Installed Borla Cat Back Exhaust!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Borla Cat Back Exhaust!!

I was lucky enough to get my hands on this Borla Cat Back Exhaust from ttrank, nice meeting you guys at SRD on Saturday BTW! I went straight back to my shop and with the help of my friend Louie we installed this thing in about 2 hours. Here are some Pics & Vids of the install...

Stock Sedan Exhaust

Borla Exhaust

Old 02-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
awesome videos and pictures of the install. Congrats! sounds great!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:56 AM
dont know if it's just me or not, but i cant really tell a difference from the vids. maybe diff in person??

anyhow, it looks better that's for sure! nice garage floor btw

Old 02-25-2008, 02:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice exhaust! From the videos, it seems the Borla sounds close to stock but with better exhaust flow.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks everyone, I really like the way it sounds. It has a nice deep drone without sounding ricey.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
The vids don't do it justice. Your car sounded awesome with the Borla on it. When you came back everyone out there was amazed at how good it sounded. For those who have not heard it yet it is a bit deeper than stock and a little louder at idle. At WOT it sounds very good and more than loud enough. You were about a 1/8 mile away when got on it and between your intake and the exhaust we could hear just fine!

Old 02-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
+2. I like my borla. I put on mine DIY. Buying an used Borla is sorta hit/miss because people tend to pry off the pipes and it tends to bend them up a bit. Makes the slip fitting harder. But a wire brush and plenty of WD40 helps on the install. I had to tap a few pipes back into round and clean off some of the soot so I could get everything to line up right.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
looks and sounds great, btw wow your stock exhaust is in perfect condition.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi all,

I too just installed a Borla cat-back on my 05 sedan yesterday. I love it so far, and the sound is much deeper than stock, but I am hearing an issue.

It sounds like somewhere it is either rattling against or rubbing against something. Especially noticeable when the car is cold for some reason, and when turning slow, but hard to the right. I thought it was maybe a weight thing, because I had two other people in the car the first time i noticed it, but it happened again later when it was just me. The wierd thing is I noticed after car had been sitting cold for an hour or so, but then once warmed up and after several miles and such, I could make it grind or rattle or make the noise.

I called the Midas place where I had it installed, and they mentioned they noticed some clearance issues, but that they didnt seem too bad. I plan to bring it back to them to take a look tomorrow and see if they can see where it is rubbing or rattling, but was wondering if anyone else has seen this with your install so I know what to look for....

Any help would be great.

Mike

Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Looks nice. Can i come over and install a catback in your garage?

Old 05-14-2008, 01:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sysadlight
Hi all,

I too just installed a Borla cat-back on my 05 sedan yesterday. I love it so far, and the sound is much deeper than stock, but I am hearing an issue.

It sounds like somewhere it is either rattling against or rubbing against something. Especially noticeable when the car is cold for some reason, and when turning slow, but hard to the right. I thought it was maybe a weight thing, because I had two other people in the car the first time i noticed it, but it happened again later when it was just me. The wierd thing is I noticed after car had been sitting cold for an hour or so, but then once warmed up and after several miles and such, I could make it grind or rattle or make the noise.

I called the Midas place where I had it installed, and they mentioned they noticed some clearance issues, but that they didnt seem too bad. I plan to bring it back to them to take a look tomorrow and see if they can see where it is rubbing or rattling, but was wondering if anyone else has seen this with your install so I know what to look for....

Any help would be great.

Mike

My guess would be the driveshaft shield. It's right where the midpipe runs through. The midpipe resontator is probably up against it and causing the rattle. Just take a soft rubber mallet or even you hand and bend it up a bit to make better clearance. it will stopp all unwanted rattles and vibrations

Old 05-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta sound difference in person cause I dont hear the difference.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by DG03G35
Looks nice. Can i come over and install a catback in your garage?
Not exactly "my" garage, I just work there, but if you want to come by and check it out let me know. I am near Uni and the 101

Old 05-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by TurboDreamzG
Gotta sound difference in person cause I dont hear the difference.
It does sound way different in person.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
im running Borla TD catback on my 06 g35x, it was a pain in the *** to put on cause of the transfercase. So far I love it. On the highway can get pretty annoying if you keep on gettin on and off it. Mine is pretty DEEEEEP lol

everyone thats been in my car or heard it from outside loves it. They say it GROWLS lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed Borla Cat Back Exhaust!!