Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Blox Intake manifold plenum spacer

Old 12-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blox Intake manifold plenum spacer

I was searching around and found at optionsauto.com they have an intake spacer made by Blox racing for only $90.

I did some searching and some genius listed it as a 3/4" spacer. I figured for $90 with shippig I would try it out. Apparently I am the first to do so because I couldn't find anything about it on the web.

The shipping was pretty quick and I recieved the box with the spacer, assorted bolts, and the little round spacers as well. It even came with a sticker. Looking in the box I found no instructions to install it. Since this is 2007 I was able to find instaructions for other plenum spacers and just used those.

The spacer is made of some sort of plastic. Nothing special just black plastic. It messured at 5/8". THe install was pretty striaght forward and it fit well, with no leaks. I was even able to use the engine cover with no mods. Only thing I had to do was slightly bend the rear sensor block that has a hose going to the throttle body.

I used the Pure instructions for resetting the ecu and went for a test drive. Its currently 25 degrees out with tons of ice and snow everywhere so I couldn't really throttle it. From what I felt though on the butt dyno was pretty good. The engine note is a bit throatier and over all I was happy with it.

This was all installed on an 03.5 sport sedan AT. For $90 it was well worth the price. Next up is a Z-tube. I'll post a bit later my thoughts after I've had it a while.

evo

Old 12-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
u have a link or pics?

Old 12-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with a product that has been proven and reliable to all the forum members and many more...

Motordyne Iso Thermal 5/16ths spacer kit!

On sale till the end of the month too!

PM ZIP...

Old 12-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Interesting... I like the idea of plastic/composite material (for its thermal properties)... but you better hope it's not some cheap stuff that will melt. I highly doubt it.

I'd like to know more about the material. Not that I would get rid of my 1/2" Motordyne spacer... I'm just interested in composite versions.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Not so much worried about it melting, but more cracking over time / loosing its sealing properties etc...

The amount of heat transfer that is stopped between the lower plenum and upper plenum from a composite material will be minimal compared to the amount of heat transfer reduced from the iso-thermal gasket between the lower manifold and lower plenum.

The current motordyne isothermal spacers have the same type of arid gasket on the spacer its self between the plenums.

With the plastic / composite spacers, if you are one who is planning on removing your upper plenum at all for maintenance etc, I would not go with one, even the skunk 2 which sounds like it is of a similar material...

The aluminum type will last longer down the road...

Old 12-26-2007, 10:57 PM
the first spacers made were plastic... but very expensive from Japan... there are many types of plastic and composites that are extremely durable. Warping and holding up should not be an issue unless its crappy material.

You can buy the IsoThermal kit without the spacer… the added thermal properties of this is a benefit.

Don’t get me wrong; I’m a big fan of Motordyne products… I would venture to say that if material and production costs were reasonable, Tony might have considered it.

Depending on the material the spacer the OP mentions could be a good deal at $90.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
+1

It could be a good deal given the MD is more than twice the price.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:13 AM
^Damn right, i've had my Skunk2 spacer for about a year now and i havent had one problem at all with leakage or cracking at all...it all just depends on what you want and can afford to purchase.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jason@Riverside
Go with a product that has been proven and reliable to all the forum members and many more...

Motordyne Iso Thermal 5/16ths spacer kit!

On sale till the end of the month too!

PM ZIP...
Those products were proven because someone took the time to try it out.

As per the blox racing web site the spacer is made of thermal polymer.
http://www.bloxracing.com/prod_spacersGaskets.asp
Their list price was $199 but at options auto it was only $90.
http://www.optionsauto.com/products.asp?dept=6163

Another food for thought is LSX motors use a plastic inatke manifold without issue and thats factory. Many car companies have gone this route so I dont see a reason the thermal polymer is going to have issues.

evo

Old 12-27-2007, 04:04 PM
^^^ there are lots of plastic plenums... Kinetix is plastic, the new HR is plastic... this spacer shouldn’t be an issue unless this plastic is crappola.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:05 AM
Well its been a little while and the car is fine, it hasn't emploded or anything crazy. Oddly mpg is up a tad over not having the spacer and over all the car feels pretty good. Butt dyno says it worked. lol

evo

Old 06-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Any new updates w/ this spacer?

Old 06-28-2008, 10:45 PM
also interested in an update. I just spotted this Blox spacer on Ebay and came looking for info.

Because this is 5/8", should I assume the engine cover will no longer fit with it?

edit: d'oh! OP said he used his original engine cover. Interesting. Seems other posts I've read about other spacers stated 5/8" = no room for cover.

Last edited by Qbrozen; 06-29-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice.... You don't need to empty out your wallet for performance mods.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:00 AM
question

I just ordered the spacer and wondered if it came with a gasket or if you had to buy one.

TP1

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blox Intake manifold plenum spacer