Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Rev-Up airbox on a VQ35DE - special note

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
but we need to know about post #9... can anyone else confirm this?... maybe check an early 05 rev-up?... its possible they made the change late year.

Knowing will make it easier to find one.
I'd like to know as well because the Z crowd swears up and down that the revised airbox didn't appear until the 2006 RevUp. According to Infinitipartsusa.com (Everythingg35), the revised airbox is only listed for the 6MT model years 06-07. The 05, regardless of tranny, is identified as the old airbox with a parts listing for years 03-05. The old airbox is cheaper too by about $15. So, if you're going to order one, make sure to order it for a 06-07 6MT (07 coupe only) or you're going to get the wrong airbox.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So what is the gain by adding this coupe air box? HP or sound?

Just added the MD 5/16 spacer and z-tube just over a week ago. I see no need to spend more money if the coupe air box has no gains. IMO.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ i'm sure the improvement is very limited, maybe a slightly improved/increased airflow (reduced turbulence?). any gains would not be noticeable, except maybe to a dyno where you would see very minimal gains. you can spend your money better elsewhere, imo.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ I agree, gains will be minimal at best - however, when you have already gone after the low hanging fruit (the conventional power adders), things like this are a good, cheap tweak to help get that little extra

I've done much less for a lot more $$$

Old 12-19-2008, 12:55 PM
_jb
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure that Nissan "seeing" the newer intake mods would convince them to change their existing air box deisgn... especially since the average owner would never even know about it... you can't see it... look how long it took "us" to find out about it.

Don't forget that the '05 350z was not a RevUp like the '05 G35 6mt was. In '05 only the anniversary 350z had the RevUp engine

My 2005 G35 6mt Coupe was built in March of 2005. I thought I had the large trumpet, but after looking at the side-by-side pictures above, I'm not so sure. I'll yank mine off tonight and take a picture of it.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
hey buds...

Don't let this thing snowball.. the part number I received when I ordered my 06 Air Box from Everything G35 is p/n# 16526-AC700... the air horn on this bad boy is HUGE in comparison to my 04 air box.

To de-mystify all of this.. "man-up" and simply open the air box, pull the air cleaner back and you will KNOW as soon as you see it.. the stock is a puny metal grommet looking device, no air horn to speak of... whereas the 06 has a VERY pronounced air horn about 1.5 inches or so tall.. like a small trumpet.. you WILL know when you see it.. the pictures really don't do it justice.. until you see it in front of you.. very sweet.. and it gives your intake a very throaty sound on acceleration and from 2700 on up it resonates very nicely ESPECIALLY when dropping into "passing mode" at highway speed.. very sweet indeed!!

check it out man!

for those of you with the HR Y-pipe.. this really compliments the system.. it gives it that very nice throaty "DE" sound"... from OEM hardware at that!

The following users liked this post:
vipster (02-02-2014)
Old 12-19-2008, 02:55 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
dang now i want to check my 05 rev up and see. Hopefully guys who have claimed will check come through and post up.

Last edited by LightsOut; 12-19-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:03 PM
_jb
Photographer

I took my airbox off and checked out the air intake trumpet.

I have a 2005 G35 6mt Coupe that was made in March, 2005. As far as I can tell, I do have the newer, better airbox/trumpet assembly. I'm going to post a few pictures so that there are no questions about what is in my Coupe.

Here are a couple of close up shots of the air box and air inlet trumpet in my 2005 6mt G35 Coupe.

A closer shot... I guess I should dust it off before I put it back on.

Looking down through the MAF tube (You can see the MAF sensor).

And here's a picture of me measuring the heighth of the air inlet trumpet. As you can see, it's about an inch tall (0.958" to be exact).

If someone could measure the height of the 2006 air intake trumpet, we could put this issue to rest.

I don't think there's a longer/larger trumpet than this, but I'll wait until an '06 guy can publish their findings.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ it's clearly the longer of the 2 that have been posted – and you are the 2nd 05 G that has it... so unless there is a third length (doubtful), then the 05 Rev-up Gs apparently have the new one... since DaveB stated the Z crowd swears its 06+ I guess the only explanation is the Gs got them in 05 and Z not till 06. Or the Zs don’t know wtf they are talking about?

Nice digi ruler btw

Old 12-19-2008, 11:28 PM
_jb
Photographer

Remember that the 2005 6mt 350Z was not a RevUp. Only the 2005 Anniversary Edition 6mt 350Z was a RevUp.

I remember because I almost bought one...

It would make sense that the notmal 2005 6mt 350Z would not have the extended trumpets because it would not be a RevUp.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Well, I think it's pretty much confirmed that the 05 sedan/coupe RevUps have the revised airbox. However, if you're going to order one, make sure that you're ordering one for an 06-07 coupe 6MT because otherwise YOU WILL get the old airbox. Get on Infinitipartsusa.com or everythingg35.com and see for yourself. It's a special order item too so make sure you get it right.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by RicoG35x
... and it gives your intake a very throaty sound on acceleration and from 2700 on up it resonates very nicely ESPECIALLY when dropping into "passing mode" at highway speed.. very sweet indeed!!

check it out man!

for those of you with the HR Y-pipe.. this really compliments the system.. it gives it that very nice throaty "DE" sound"... from OEM hardware at that!
I agree on all accounts. It does change the sound of the intake and makes the car sound really throaty, especially with the HR y-pipe. What I noticed the most was improved throttle response and I think that was point to the design. The RevUp lower intake manifold incorporates a shorter runner design that improves high rpm breathing, but hurts low torque and throttle response. The revised airbox may have been a way to restore some of the throttle response and low rpm breathing. On the torquey DE, this airbox is just gravy.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Well said Mr. D... well said...! That is what I've been experiencing all along.. the combination of the 06 air box, Z-Tube, MD Spacer and HR Y-pipe truly sweetens the response.. gives awesome sound.. but not over exaggerated like SOME CAI systems... the cherry on top baby!!

The AT seems to shift a bit more aggressive... it was pretty much following the factory "party line" as far as shifting before the air box and HR mods.. now it just seems more aggressive and generous with the shift points.. especially in mid range passing scenarios.. how sweet! I gotta hold back at times on the way to work.. too many LEO's (Law Enf. Off.) on Ohio's highways looking for quota.. ya know wat I mean Vern?

anyways... I posted the part number earlier for the 06 air box cover.. so everyone, treat yourselves (and the car) to an easy mod for XMAS that will give ya "G-Wood" every time you go for a drive...

Old 12-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by RicoG35x
The AT seems to shift a bit more aggressive... it was pretty much following the factory "party line" as far as shifting before the air box and HR mods.. now it just seems more aggressive and generous with the shift points.. especially in mid range passing scenarios.. how sweet! I gotta hold back at times on the way to work.. too many LEO's (Law Enf. Off.) on Ohio's highways looking for quota.. ya know wat I mean Vern?

anyways... I posted the part number earlier for the 06 air box cover.. so everyone, treat yourselves (and the car) to an easy mod for XMAS that will give ya "G-Wood" every time you go for a drive...
I agree, the shifts feel better and are more responsive. I rarely drive around town in automatic because a downshift in 2nd and sometimes 3rd results in a bit too much passing power. It use to not be that way. The addition of the HR y-pipe, sedan midpipe, and RevUp airbox has really woken up the car. Has it gained power? I really don't know and honestly don't care because these three simple a cheap mods have really improved the drivability of the car and that's really what's most important to me now.

As for ordering that airbox. Expect a solid 3 weeks to get it

Old 12-20-2008, 03:04 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a brand new 06 air box fs hit me up if u want it. Its new in box, ordered it thinking my 05 rev up didn't have the large trumpet. pm if u want to buy it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rev-Up airbox on a VQ35DE - special note