Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Plenum spacers: Do you need a tune afterwards?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plenum spacers: Do you need a tune afterwards?

Just wondering if you need a tune after installing a plenum spacer or can the computer "learn" the new air flow?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
nope no need

i would say only get a tune once your done with ALL your performance mods

Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 PM
If anything reseting the ECU should do well enough until you have a larger mod list to justify a tune.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
ECU will slowly learn that mod, but reset makes it learn right away and is a better way imo.
Cookie cutter factory A/F correct maps can handle that mod alone.
Factory tune can only adjust so much with many breather mods installed and can run you lean if not careful.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Not needed yet....!

dankl, you won't need a tune until you've made many more mods. If you're
installing the MotorDyne spacer (which you should) the instructions will tell
you to remove the negative side of the battery while doing the install. Simular
to the instructions for installing an intake....that should do the trick. (for now)
Gary

Old 02-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys. I'm new to these cars and motors. I was just talking to my mechanic before and he said I may need a tune if I do the spacer. I figured there was a lot of good knowledge on this website from people who have "been there and done that".

I was thinking of doing a CAI, a cat-back, and the MREV2 and spacer, or some kind of spacer combination for my Rev-Up '06 engine. Any good advice to save me hours of research?

Thanks again all.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by dankl
Thanks guys. I'm new to these cars and motors. I was just talking to my mechanic before and he said I may need a tune if I do the spacer. I figured there was a lot of good knowledge on this website from people who have "been there and done that".

I was thinking of doing a CAI, a cat-back, and the MREV2 and spacer, or some kind of spacer combination for my Rev-Up '06 engine. Any good advice to save me hours of research?

Thanks again all.
The MREV2 + spacer combo is gonna be the best bang for your buck, myself id go with a 5/16 ISO thermal spacer. As far as CAI's many people on here claim they dont yeild any gains and even may result in a loss of 1 - 2 hp. A lot of people claim they do it for the sound more than anything, until you can get a good tune with all the rest of the mods to see some gains. Our stock intake seems to be very well designed and most people opp for the Z tube w/ pop charger (beware of heat soak and possibly cause stalling) from the 350z. Exhaust is all gonna come down to how loud you like your exhaust and things like rasp and drone come into play as well.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
MotorDyne is the only one I'd go to for their MREV2 & 5/16" spacer. Intakes,
you need a Z-Tube and I'd go with Stillens CAI or just the K&N drop in filter....
your choice. Popup chargers look great but suffer from heat soak which kills
HP....who needs that? Cat-back exhaust, so many choices....and I've run
most of them....Ouch$$ For sound, quality and HP gains there's only 2 I'd
consider HKS and Stillen. Both systems are real dual systems for maximum
flo. Happy Modding....Gary

Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Tony does say a tune is a good idea w/MREV2 + spacer.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:04 PM
I was worried on this too. The Motordyne site even says having both a Mrev2 Plenum and Spacer will cause Lean issues. I'm guessing no one else has had this issue come up?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Very good points/suggestion by all. I guess the MREV2/spacer combo needing a tune is a good question. Seems like the tune is not required, however, is always a good idea when changing air flow to your engine.

I was thinking about a CAI for sound, not just performance. I wanna keep this car sounding nice and clean, so an intake and a great sounding cat-back, mixed with the MREV2/spacer should be what I need.

I already have a beast of a car, so I'm not looking to get every last pony out of the G. This is now my daily driver, but it is a little too quiet for me stock.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by dankl
Very good points/suggestion by all. I guess the MREV2/spacer combo needing a tune is a good question. Seems like the tune is not required, however, is always a good idea when changing air flow to your engine.

I was thinking about a CAI for sound, not just performance. I wanna keep this car sounding nice and clean, so an intake and a great sounding cat-back, mixed with the MREV2/spacer should be what I need.

I already have a beast of a car, so I'm not looking to get every last pony out of the G. This is now my daily driver, but it is a little too quiet for me stock.
Have you thought about a HR Y pipe + HFC combo? That could keep the stock sound while making it deeper and slighty louder and then you could put a true dual catback system on as well which should deliver that louder tone your looking for.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
nope

Old 02-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by EnerOnE
nope
What is this in reference to?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plenum spacers: Do you need a tune afterwards?