Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

'03 G35 Sedan MAF replacement issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Sedan, EM
Exclamation '03 G35 Sedan MAF replacement issue

Pressed for time, Car stuck in limp mode only transport for work.

I have an '03 (EM) G35, my stock intake disintegrated (Arizona Heat). Replaced with a cheapish Short ram.
Stock MAF was the Round style where it seals to the intake.
Needed Rectangular one.

Issue:
MAF connector coming from harness is a bit larger than the only replacement MAF I can find. All the ones that state they fit my car are a much smaller plug.

Can I rewire this with a smaller plug(i.e. Would the wiring/ voltage be the same?)
Or can anyone link a part number for a rectangular one that will fit my connector?

Old 05-16-2022, 12:38 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Why not just check out a local pick-n-pull and get the correct intake tube.

Or order up a Stillen Z-tube and pay the expedited shipping to get it in 2 days.

Or put your old stock intake tube back on and wrap the F out of the damaged section with quality electrical tape (3M Super 33+ or Super 35 works great, Temflex is ok but doesn't have the adhesion that 33+ and 35 have).

EDIT: If the damage is on the flexible corrugated section then it's EASILY "fixed" with good 3M electrical tape, Home Depot usually carries it in stock, look on the inside of the roll (the little carboard part in the middle) to see what kind of tape it is, only use 3M not some cheapo wrap from Harbor Freight, that stuff has basically ZERO adhesion and will last maybe a day. 3M will last easily a year.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:21 PM
G35 Sedan, EM
I am sorry that I do not have pictures of the intake its self, but only the two couplers. But the condition of the rest of the plastic is not much better than the two couplers.
I do not have the original intake anymore as it was un-usable after being removed from the engine bay. It shattered into pieces at parts.

Stillen Z-tube does not come with the section that houses the MAF(Which broke).
Only Pick-n-pull near me currently only has a '08 G35 which runs the 6-pin rectangular MAF. I can keep looking but its a crap-shoot when they may have a '03 G35 and HOPE it has the round MAF and not the rectangular. Since they thought it would be smart to have both on the same years.
Even if I had the original I don't think tape would have helped unless I just made a new one out of tape. (the box cracked in half, and there were multiple holes through the section where the MAF would go, I grabbed it to separate the corrugated coupler and fingers went through the plastic.)

Thank you, Not trying to be difficult. Sorry.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:39 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ok so that part is a rubber coupling from the intake tube to to the throttle body, not the intake tube itself, not the MAF housing. You can buy a generic silicone one at a local parts house, I think people use the 30 degree angle one.

Is your MAF housing broken as well?

You can salvage the part from any 2003-2007 G35 coupe, or 2003-2006 sedan.

Or a 2003-2006 Nissan 350z, you will also need to salvage the PCV hose for the intake tube if you use the 350Z one it's in a slightly different location.

Or a 2003-2007 Infiniti FX35.

Or a 2005-2008 Infiniti M35.

Z1 Motorsports sells direct fit silicone couplings as well.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...RoCKU0QAvD_BwE

You could also order this one Amazon Prime, read the comments, it's a snug fit but the geometry is correct. Used this on another G not my own. I strongly recommend using silicone lube spray or grease when installing it because it's definitely a TIGHT FIT with that brand new rubber.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-16-2022, 01:52 PM
G35 Sedan, EM
I am not sure why, but I can see your reply in email, but not on the forum.

First line stated that I don't have images of the intake, ONLY the two couplers. I wasn't thinking about maybe needing them. Since everything I bought showed that it was compatible.(Like that ever happens correctly lol)

Part 1 (Filter Box and MAF housing): Box split slightly near where the metal clips lock it into place. Tube was punctured by my hand when trying to remove(plastic was extremely brittle) Not repairable. Tossed.
Part 2 (The one that the Stillen Z-tube would replace) Small crack, would have been repairable. Was tossed with the rest.
Both couples, as the images before show were completely destroyed.

MAF housing from 04+ are all rectagular (6 pin connector)
My '03 has the Round MAF with a large 5 pin connector(much like Older maxima's[99-02])

Old 05-16-2022, 02:09 PM
G35 Sedan, EM
Sorry if double post, I tried posting before and it never appeared.

I am sorry, as I stated on that last post, I only have images of the couplers. I did not think about taking pictures of the damaged tubing, as the coupler pictures were to send to a friend.

Nothing except the MAF was salvageable from the original intake. ( Small inlet near throttle body with the PVC hose snapped with about half in the hose still(Doubt I could repair it.), small crack in that section on the top like cover thing(could be repaired or patched.), The section with the MAF housing, had holes from when i removed it from the engine bay, It was brittle enough that I punctured the plastic when trying to remove it.(Could cover it I guess, but would mostly be an intake made of tape) Slight cracks in the filter box.(repairable/patchable))

Anything past '03 has the smaller 6-pin connector, Even some of the '03 apparently has it(The rectangular MAF apparently has a smaller connector) as I checked compatibility with all the parts I purchased, they stated they fit an '03 G35(But yeah... right when does that work)

I could use all the parts except the MAF housing from a newer year, but still leaves me with needing a MAF housing for the round ones.

I am at the point where I am attempting to research if I can change the connector out, but I am having a hard time finding wiring diagrams that I can read for both types. I found one post asking how to undo this very modification, but not how to implement it. These smaller MAF's are easier to source, and matching parts are more abundant.

Last edited by Riddla; 05-16-2022 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Added damages to pipes