Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Is it worth adding an aftermarket exhaust when stock we sound better than Ferrari?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it worth adding an aftermarket exhaust when stock we sound better than Ferrari?

What is the average G driver out there doing to the exhaust?

Are many of you guys adding aftermarket exhaust systems to your Gs? One of the things that is attractive about the G(to me anyway), is the sound. I just love that low exhaust note! The only thing I don't like is making her scream(WOT) too much. When you push too hard she sounds more in pain that INFLICTING pain.

For those that think my comment about Ferrari is crazy. Listen for yourself and cast your vote by commenting on Youtube. Also keep in mind I'm talking about the ONE model that is as quiet as a mouse stock, the 360 Modena. Most Ferrari cars you have probably heard were fitted with after market exhaust or were higher-end models. The OTHER Ferrari cars sound WAY better than G, just not THIS one:

G35 and Ferrari on the highway at :39.

Last edited by visualfxpro; 02-11-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Wrong link and misplaced text
Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
G sounds better than a Ferrari?

Dream on.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Did you listen to the video? The Ferrari is not even close. You are probably like most people used to hearing Ferraris with upgraded exhaust systems(although the new 458 sounds good stock). Trust me...the stock system is pitiful by ANY standard. A Lotus Exige sounds WAY better and that is a 4 cylinder Toyota engine.

In the video...that sound after the G35 is the Ferrari. You think it sounds better? It sounds to me very light and tinkery like the engine is made of some kind of reinforced aluminum foil. Remember the Ferrari has a V8! Trust me...as a guy who personally placed a mike inches from the Ferrari exhaust on the highway and got mostly road noise...I know. Side by side the mic in the Ferrari was picking up the sound of the G35 next to it and the G was not even pushing it. Still not convinced? Listen to this:

[Mike is 3" from exhaust...you can hear gear change at :18]

Originally Posted by Bob.On.Whidbey

Dream on.
TRUST me...if you still think Ferrari sounds better, you have not heard the 360 Modena with a STOCK exhaust.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Bob.On.Whidbey

Dream on.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Just replace your cat converters and y pipe. That is what I plan on doing... MD for both!

Old 02-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Are you Carlyle?

Old 02-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
Lol

Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
That opinion is probably limited to you. I'm pretty sure you probably won't find 2 more people on this board that think a stock Ferrari doesn't sound better than a g. Anyway, if you like it so much, don't change anything.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't think op has ever heard a ferrari up close, i live in vancouver, super car city, and there is no way in hell i would ever consider a g35 exhaust tone comparable to a ferrari

are you on crack!?

if you don't like the "screaming" sound then your not gonna like any car, because ALL cars sounds like its screaming when you put your foot down

unless its a hybrid

Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
I can't believe there is even a video out there that compares a G35 to a Ferrari.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:05 PM
Did you listen to the video??

Are you guys serious? Is anyone actually listening to video? It sounds pitiful. And the opinion is certainly not limited to me...that is why most people dont' know how it really sounds. Because just about every Ferrari owner upgrades the exhaust.

Seriously though...did you guys actually listen to the video and think that sounds better? Keep in mind...even if you like that weak sound compared to our deep more powerful sounding notes, keep in mind it's VERY quite. If I were to drive by you in a 360 and you weren't looking, you might miss me. In fact you are VERY likely to miss me. In a G, you would hear me possibly before I even pass you. Trust me...the Ferrari is not even close. It's quiet AND it sounds like an economy engine(Toyota/Honda).

I insist that you guys probably have not heard a stock 360. I mean there is one right in the video but I don't know if you listened to it. I was like many of you until I first heard it in person. I was SHOCKED! I too thought all Ferrari cars sounded like what you guys are likely impressed with:

Race Track prepped Ferraris on the track
High-end Ferrari cars like Enzo
The new cars like the 458 Italia
360 Modena WITH aftermarket exhaust

That is ALL you guys would have heard. Think about it. How many times have you guys ran into Ferrari cars on the road? Not much right. What are the odds that ANY of those cars you heard just so happen to be one of the few cars that are not modified? Ferrari cars are rare...stock is even more rare.

I had a LOT of trouble trying to record Ferrari exhaust sounds because it's so quiet. Supposedly its made that quiet so it can comply with noise restrictions in some country more strict than America. Bottom line is, when even the Ferrari owners say the exhaust sucks...that really tells you something. Just about the only people who like the stock 360 exhaust are really old people or people who have not ever actually heard one(but think they did).

Originally Posted by speedracerg35
That opinion is probably limited to you. I'm pretty sure you probably won't find 2 more people on this board that think a stock Ferrari doesn't sound better than a g. Anyway, if you like it so much, don't change anything.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Again..TRUST me...the cars you are hearing ARE modded. Almost NOBODY drives the 360 Modena with a stock exhaust.

Originally Posted by biggz786786
i don't think op has ever heard a ferrari up close, i live in vancouver, super car city, and there is no way in hell i would ever consider a g35 exhaust tone comparable to a ferrari

Old 02-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Listen for yourself

This is a stock exhaust system BUT if you are thinking that does not sound too bad(sounds weak to me but that is just my opinion), consider that the mic is inches from the exhaust tip. In reality you cannot hear this car at all over the sound of the G35 at 3500 RPMs. Maybe with windows open in light traffic.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:11 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
So you are Carlye....LOL!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Okay, soon-to-be-(in)famous Carlyle, you've convinced me. Stock G35 pwns all.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it worth adding an aftermarket exhaust when stock we sound better than Ferrari?