Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Rev-up Airbox or JWT Popcharger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by JaE35
i recently made the switch from a pop charger to the rev-up box with k&n...after driving for a year with the pop charger it's really weird getting used to not having the extra sound but i got a lot of torque back without a doubt..never putting that crap on my car again
+1. The day I floored my car in only 85 degree weather and felt NO acceleration.. Was the day I put my Revup air box back on. Never putting another aftermarket intake on my car.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:47 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
djhiro, in the real world there are no gains from any intake only a sound change. Manufactures will make all kinds of claims but with our G35s they're not true. The Rev-up air box/K&N drop in filter is your best choice, Popchargers lose major HP due to their aluminum pipe design causing heat soak. (heated incoming air)
Gary
It's not just the G. A simple trick to get an intake to actually make power on the dyno is to turn the piping so the filter is outside of the engine bay, getting plenty of cooler air from the fan. Even with the Honda guys, intakes are like a must have mod and are all over the magazines, etc... but Spoon, Mugen, and all the other big name race teams that don't boost use plastic, carbon fiber, or carbon kevlar intake boxes, and many even opt to keep the square filter, supposedly so the motor can get more air in the high revs.

Last edited by dofu; 06-18-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Footballmania32
+1. The day I floored my car in only 85 degree weather and felt NO acceleration.. Was the day I put my Revup air box back on. Never putting another aftermarket intake on my car.
Ill take the better sounding intake (pop charger) every day of the week. I drove in 108 degree weather yesterday and 100+ today for a total of about 7 hours and at no point did I feel my car lose significant power to heat soak. Either way, who races or floors it in extreme hot conditions?

Also, me and my friend have identical G's and without the pop charger it was a pretty even race. With the pop charger I pull his car at the end of every gear. We both can tell that approaching 6k rpms the power difference is noticeable and pulls harder. Lets say that the power difference isnt much, the sound wins for me.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:21 AM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by DG-G35
Ill take the better sounding intake (pop charger) every day of the week. I drove in 108 degree weather yesterday and 100+ today for a total of about 7 hours and at no point did I feel my car lose significant power to heat soak. Either way, who races or floors it in extreme hot conditions?

Also, me and my friend have identical G's and without the pop charger it was a pretty even race. With the pop charger I pull his car at the end of every gear. We both can tell that approaching 6k rpms the power difference is noticeable and pulls harder. Lets say that the power difference isnt much, the sound wins for me.
Actually I lied, I took it off because I couldn't hear it over my Motordyne TDX2 w/ ART pipes. I prefer parts that actually make power. If youre driving in 108 degrees and cant feel it, then i don't think you can identify heat soak. Look at the countless threads about it, and the universal knowledge regarding the pop charger and high IAT. I think you're biased because of your new found intake noise. Just be patient, you'll feel the heat soak eventually

The following users liked this post:
JaE35 (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Footballmania32
Actually I lied, I took it off because I couldn't hear it over my Motordyne TDX2 w/ ART pipes. I prefer parts that actually make power. If youre driving in 108 degrees and cant feel it, then i don't think you can identify heat soak. Look at the countless threads about it, and the universal knowledge regarding the pop charger and high IAT. I think you're biased because of your new found intake noise. Just be patient, you'll feel the heat soak eventually
Well I do feel the heat soak, just not significantly enough like i said. And again, im not looking for power in hot weather, ill take the sound. The best advice I can give about intakes for our cars is this: If you are buying it for performance youre doing it wrong. The pros and cons are so minimal its absolutely absurd how people can bash it in either direction.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:13 PM
The pros and cons are so minimal its absolutely absurd how people can bash it in either direction.
The pros and cons equals $150 to $300 of your hard earned money to lose power for a little bit of look and sound.

Well I do feel the heat soak, just not significantly enough like i said. And again, im not looking for power in hot weather, ill take the sound. The best advice I can give about intakes for our cars is this: If you are buying it for performance youre doing it wrong.
So you bought it for the rice factor?

Old 06-18-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
Well I do feel the heat soak, just not significantly enough like i said. And again, im not looking for power in hot weather, ill take the sound. The best advice I can give about intakes for our cars is this: If you are buying it for performance youre doing it wrong. The pros and cons are so minimal its absolutely absurd how people can bash it in either direction.
It was way more than minimal for me...anything hurting performance definitely isn't helping. The car all around just drives better without it. I had my pop charger for a long long time before making the switch

Old 06-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
djhiro, in the real world there are no gains from any intake only a sound change. Manufactures will make all kinds of claims but with our G35s they're not true. The Rev-up air box/K&N drop in filter is your best choice, Popchargers lose major HP due to their aluminum pipe design causing heat soak. (heated incoming air)
Gary
you say you loose power due to the aluminum pipe but what about using the Z-tube with the JWT Pop charger with the heat shield. Would you still loose power then?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm confused... I'm new here so play nice.

Is this what y'all are talking about?

If so....

Is this any better for performance gains?

Am I missing somme thing here? Haha

Old 06-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Yes and No

The Ztube is just the stock intake air piping that goes from the MAF to the intake plenum from the original 350Z

I have have had all of them, I have the NISMO R tune CAI now, I could tell no difference between them other than the extra noise from the NISMO.and the Ztube.

BTW, I bought my R tune for less than $150 used.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Yes and No

The Ztube is just the stock intake air piping that goes from the MAF to the intake plenum from the original 350Z

I have have had all of them, I have the NISMO R tune CAI now, I could tell no difference between them other than the extra noise from the NISMO.and the Ztube.

BTW, I bought my R tune for less than $150 used.
So they all add sound and a little pep? No real gains?

Do you think the R-Tune is over rated?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Punishr
you say you loose power due to the aluminum pipe but what about using the Z-tube with the JWT Pop charger with the heat shield. Would you still loose power then?
you are only getting minimal gains(2-4 hp i heard) with the z-tube and a oem stock air box(better to run with a rev-up air box or z-box) Even with the heat shield, you will lose alot of power.Only way to tell is to tune it.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Splitnail
So they all add sound and a little pep? No real gains?

Do you think the R-Tune is over rated?
Basically if you want sound run the JWT Charger. If you want gains n a lil sound run the z-tube with rev-up air box or z-box. Only real gains will occur if you perform a tune.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by lostangels01
you are only getting minimal gains(2-4 hp i heard) with the z-tube and a oem stock air box(better to run with a rev-up air box or z-box) Even with the heat shield, you will lose alot of power. Only way to tell is to tune it.
Been there, done that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. You gain a bit up top, but you lose a lot of usable power in the heat.

But the gains don't really matter - how are a few extra horses going to matter when it comes to accelerating when it's torque that takes care of that?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
Been there, done that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. You gain a bit up top, but you lose a lot of usable power in the heat.

But the gains don't really matter - how are a few extra horses going to matter when it comes to accelerating when it's torque that takes care of that?
What is best option? I want to hear the motor more, so that would be cool. But I want power.... I'm confused I guess.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rev-up Airbox or JWT Popcharger?