Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Rev-up Airbox or JWT Popcharger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:14 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Not all 06-07 coupes have the rev-up airbox, only the 6MTs that have the rev-up motor do. Losing power isn't an issue in my mind if you're stationary lol, but in all seriousness the fact is that heat soak drains the power at all times. I ran the pop charger for all of 6 weeks here in Texas 4 summers ago and the loss of power was so noticeable I yanked that POS off my car and sold it in 2 days on this forum. I ultimately decided on the R2C and have been very happy with it for the last 3 years.

It seals against the hood, has maybe the best filter on the market and sounds great when you step on the gas. However the truth remains that most intakes for our cars don't do much (and have the potential to actually produce less power than stock) without a lot of other breather mods and a tune, and then the gains are debatable.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I just installed a rev up air box on my 05 sedan. IMO, no loss of low end at all, and a nice little throaty sound addition. Added power-I doubt it. Sounds nice though, and still pulls like a champ.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You knew what I meant haha thanks. Yeah I have a 6MT so I think I'm going to just put the ztube on and buy a filter. Maybe I'll get a R2C down the line appreciate it man.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
No worries, that's what we're here for. If you get the R2C you won't regret it, but just buy the front half of the intake. It's about the same price as a pop charger and they want a ridiculous amount for the full set-up. Pair it with your z tube and you'll be money.

Last edited by Blue Dream; 08-28-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about the takeda stage 2 intakes?? From the looks of it you use your stock air box so you can use the rev-up box with it. The takeda comes with the back part of the airbox. So would this produce real gains you think? I have the rev-up engine in my 06 6MT so im thinking this intake should produce noticeable gains

Amazon.com: Infiniti Nissan aFe Takeda Intake Systems Stage-2 PDS G35: Automotive Amazon.com: Infiniti Nissan aFe Takeda Intake Systems Stage-2 PDS G35: Automotive

Old 09-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by djdanny5000
what about the takeda stage 2 intakes?? From the looks of it you use your stock air box so you can use the rev-up box with it. The takeda comes with the back part of the airbox. So would this produce real gains you think? I have the rev-up engine in my 06 6MT so im thinking this intake should produce noticeable gains

Amazon.com: Infiniti Nissan aFe Takeda Intake Systems Stage-2 PDS G35: Automotive

https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...s-results.html

Which is the best option as indicated by this courteous member of our forum? Do some research and make the decision yourself.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...er-thread.html For any more questions.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
They all suck.

HAH!

Old 09-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...s-results.html

Which is the best option as indicated by this courteous member of our forum? Do some research and make the decision yourself.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...er-thread.html For any more questions.
It's great that he took the time to do this, but even with the same set-up, your car needs at least an hour to cool between runs on the dyno or you will see lots of heat-soak, even with the fans. He only had 6 hours to test all the intakes.

Last edited by dofu; 09-04-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Only intake I'd get is the revup with z-tube.. Everything else isn't worth the money..

Old 09-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by dominate
Why would the Nismo CAI lose power at the low and mid range? thanks
Long tubing means you will lose power on the bottom and make gains up top. Think about it, it's like your motor is trying to suck in air through a small straw. When you drink through a straw, it takes more time for the total amount of drink to hit your mouth than if you were to drink straight out of the cup. The same difference happens here when you have longer tubing for your intake.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Interesting...

I wish I saw this thread a while back before I got my JWT popcharger. I'm so late lol. I didn't really notice any difference besides the sound. I have an 05 6mt and my stock box is just sitting in the basement. Im in the northeast where we barely get 100 degree weather but is it worth putting the rev-up box back on? Plus I have other breather mods. The 5/16th iso thermal spacer, Mrev2, y-pipe, exhaust, and Uprev tuned. I have the z-tube on it though but am I missing out by not using my rev-up air box??

Old 02-04-2014, 09:25 AM
honestly I dont think it will make a huge difference with all your other mods. The difference in power is a few HP if that. Beside's if you get a tune in the future they can tune it for the JWT.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:35 AM
Originally Posted by OceanDriveDrizz
Interesting...

I wish I saw this thread a while back before I got my JWT popcharger. I'm so late lol. I didn't really notice any difference besides the sound. I have an 05 6mt and my stock box is just sitting in the basement. Im in the northeast where we barely get 100 degree weather but is it worth putting the rev-up box back on? Plus I have other breather mods. The 5/16th iso thermal spacer, Mrev2, y-pipe, exhaust, and Uprev tuned. I have the z-tube on it though but am I missing out by not using my rev-up air box??
You should be fine if you don't see lots of hot weather. Intakes are great in CA winter, but you get tons of heat soak in CA summer.

The following users liked this post:
OceanDriveDrizz (02-11-2014)
Old 04-17-2015, 08:50 PM
Does have anyone have any success with AEM drop in. I have been running one for the last two months, not too bad! BTW where would you buy an AMSOIL drop in filter from?

Old 07-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
R2C is a good intake since it retains much of the OEM cold air ducting. Uses a dry filter too, so no oiling issues. Just get the filter kit, the intake tube won't clear the hard lines on the driver's side. I'd ordered just the filter kit through Summit but after a month of no response or shipping date, I bought a brand new, in the box complete set-up off someone on Craigslist locally. Could not position their intake tube in a way that it wouldn't rub so removed it and reinstalled my Z-tube.

Didn't notice any change in sound, probably because the box around it seals against the hood and silences it pretty well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rev-up Airbox or JWT Popcharger?