Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

SxExCx Custom Intake Mod using the G Box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
SxExCx Custom Intake Mod using the G Box

I really liked the concept of the SxExCx intake mod that's detailed on g35project.com so I basically did mine the same exact way but I used the stock g box instead a z box. The reason for doing so is bc bought a z box but havnt received it yet and I had spare g airbox laying around. I've searched the forum a good amount and havnt found anyone else with the set up using the g box. To me it seems like it would almost be better to use the g airbox though because the factory vent above the radiator and the power duct draw air from behind grille, but the open hole in the z box, the one not used to rout the duct behind the grill, would pull some air in from the engine bay right? If anyone has any opinions about it I'd be interested to hear them bc right now I'm thinking I might not even use z box and just leave it the way it is.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:37 AM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Sean will show you as he showed me that when the car is idling, it still heat soaks as hot air just sits there.... I used the Z Airbox as the side whole isn't there so I get much cooler air even when idling...

Old 09-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Hotdawwgman
Sean will show you as he showed me that when the car is idling, it still heat soaks as hot air just sits there.... I used the Z Airbox as the side whole isn't there so I get much cooler air even when idling...
Your talking about the side hole where the duct that sits over the radiator fits in I'm assuming.. So you think this set up would be better with that hole blocked off so the power duct would be the only opening other than the 3" hole that was made for the duct pipe? I'm probably going to just install the z box when it comes in but just curious anyways

Old 09-23-2014, 12:48 AM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
No, sorry. The Z box, imho, is the best option...

Old 09-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Hotdawwgman
No, sorry. The Z box, imho, is the best option...
I always assumed it was since the member who engineed the mod seems to know his stuff when it comes to our cars and is far more knowledgeable about them then me anyways. I definetly wasn't trying to doubt the set up at all, I was just wondering why exactly the z box was superior to the g box for this app.
I was thinkin it was because the hole for the duct pipe would be the 3rd opening in the g box vs. only the second opening on the z box though. Didn't think about heak soak being the reason, I guess bc a lot of the intake threads I've read say the stock g box with a drop in is the best set up to prevent heat soak for the g35.
Again joc, does that mean the z box would be a better option than stock even without doing this mod to it?If you decide you'd be willing to ship let me know because I'd buy this from you. I'm in VA so pick up's not really an option for me ha

My z airbox came in today finally so I'll probly be putting it on the next day I have some spare time. I hate asking so many noob questions, I just like to know what I'm talking about when people see the airbox and ask me why I didn't go with any "aftermarket" intake ha

Old 09-25-2014, 09:34 PM
I went ahead and installed the z box in place of the factory box

The biggest difference I noticed was the g box was actually louder. Im thinking that might be because the bottom part of the airbox had been blocked off maybe, idk, After driving for a few days with the z box it seems to have a little better throttle response at low rpm's but other than that there's no performance difference that I can notice. Overall I do think I like the set up with z box a little better though.

Anyone happen to know why the z airbox has what looks like gray insulating foam stuffed into the bottom of it underneath where the filter sits?