Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Need exhaust help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:23 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Need exhaust help!

I just bought some test pipes, y pipe, and midpipe to go with the stock exhaust of my 20 day old 2004 infiniti G35 sedan. Bolted everything up this passed weekend and oh my she gets up to speed fast. BUT she sounds like a dirt bike now SMH. She rumble beautifully when I'm at idle or under 3k rpm's.

So I have researched and looked at many post but no clear solution. So my question is should I take the test pipes off and put my oem cats on till I get HFC's. Or is it that my whole set up is wrong?

FYI I have been modifying for years and I know that a intake should be bought first in many cases, but I got this for a awesome deal. So I jumped on it first

Attached Thumbnails Need exhaust help!-20150721_124401.jpg   Need exhaust help!-screenshot_2015-07-28-14-42-26.png  

Last edited by Black_Out; 07-29-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:02 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Thumbs up

Get rid of the test pipes and put the stock cats back on.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
Unfortunately you get that straight pipe sound with straight pipes, go HFC for performance or go back to stock cars.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:49 AM
Need exhaust help!

Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
Thanks for the input, was thinking the same.

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Unfortunately you get that straight pipe sound with straight pipes, go HFC for performance or go back to stock cars.
So your saying even using my stock cats won't remedy this awful sound?

Old 07-29-2015, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_Out
Thanks for the input, was thinking the same. So your saying even using my stock cats won't remedy this awful sound?
Sorry phone, stock cats* will be fine, but will not let you get peak HP like HFC's will.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:03 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
If you have test pipes with stock resonator and muffler its gonna sound like butt. If you want quality sound while removing the cats you need a quality exhaust.

The following users liked this post:
Spartan268 (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 09:57 AM
Need exhaust help!

Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
If you have test pipes with stock resonator and muffler its gonna sound like butt. If you want quality sound while removing the cats you need a quality exhaust.
Ok I understand stand the part about quality exhaust. But I'm just trying to see if I can make this work. If I remove the midpipe and muffler, it should sound better? This is the midpipe I have and other G35 sedan owners posted good results with this low cost pipe. But also that's all they have swapped out exhaust wise.

Attached Thumbnails Need exhaust help!-screenshot_2015-07-28-14-42-26-1.png  
Old 07-29-2015, 10:03 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Love how you posted, "Sounds Like a Dirt Bike!" Go back to OE cats for now until you get the HFCs! Nothing wrong with the y-pipe, it's the test pipes and the rest of the system you considered a deal! See how it sounds with the HFCs and go from there...Gary

Old 07-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I bet you lost horsepower with that setup. You can always ask what are "good" mods to gain hp, rather than ricing the car out and then asking for help when it gets ricey.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Your test pipes is likely the source of the issue. You can try some resonated test pipes instead, but since the rest of the system is still stock. It gonna sound like butt. HFC will make it sound better. ART Pipes would be the absolute best.

Y-pipe upgrade is hopefully fine. What's the diameter of the tubing? Otherwise it's generally always a nice solid upgrade for the G's in general. (HR y-pipe is the best overall)

Midpipe should be fine, that looks like a coupe replica design. Which should be enough to get the job done.

Muffler is a huge chokepoint here. Replace that bish with a magnaflow muffler ASAP.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Need exhaust help!

Originally Posted by UR2EZ
I bet you lost horsepower with that setup. You can always ask what are "good" mods to gain hp, rather than ricing the car out and then asking for help when it gets ricey.
I don't mind losing HP as my goal is to gain acceleration aka torque for short sprints. And I have done that I believe by just seeing how fast I get through the rpm's . But it sounds bad as I thought it would adding test pipes, but not sounding this bad. Not looking to make this car super fast as I bought it to be DD. I have a built 501rwhp @ 12psi 2011 twin turbo Camaro V6 for power if anything lol.

Attached Thumbnails Need exhaust help!-20140324_134541.jpg   Need exhaust help!-photo.jpg   Need exhaust help!-img_20130409_175658.jpg   Need exhaust help!-20150620_200132.jpg  
Old 07-29-2015, 02:06 PM
Need exhaust help!

Originally Posted by Spartan268
Your test pipes is likely the source of the issue. You can try some resonated test pipes instead, but since the rest of the system is still stock. It gonna sound like butt. HFC will make it sound better. ART Pipes would be the absolute best.

Y-pipe upgrade is hopefully fine. What's the diameter of the tubing? Otherwise it's generally always a nice solid upgrade for the G's in general. (HR y-pipe is the best overall)

Midpipe should be fine, that looks like a coupe replica design. Which should be enough to get the job done.

Muffler is a huge chokepoint here. Replace that bish with a magnaflow muffler ASAP.
I'm going to start with putting the oem cats back on come Friday. The pipes are the same diameter is the same as stock. May even play to see how it sounds without the muffler on to see.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Man you do you even have a G.
Normally I make fun of people with a V6 camaro. But you're a special exception

And it actually sounds not too bad without the muffler. Lot of people prefer it without the muffler. All depends on your taste

Old 07-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Need exhaust help!

Originally Posted by Spartan268
Man you do you even have a G.
Normally I make fun of people with a V6 camaro. But you're a special exception

And it actually sounds not too bad without the muffler. Lot of people prefer it without the muffler. All depends on your taste
Lol thanks, I was going for the SS but wanted something different. After building most of the engine, TT setup, full suspension over haul, and meth kit. Still spent less than doing a SS and basic bolt on.

I'm going to put the oem cats back on tomorrow after work. And may put the y pipe back on also. Y pipe didn't fit like oem had to flex it with a ratchet strap. I'll see what it fits like with the old cats (what I get for buying cheap lol) . But leaving the midpipe and going to test w/o mufflers. Not trying to go crazy on the G, just some bolt ons and a tune. Car is nice as is which is why I bought it. But that damn fuel gauge is killing me lol.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:06 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
test pipes and Y pipe you got are incredibly raspy.
If you want to make it sound like anything but dirt bike, you'll have to get rid of those test pipes and resonate the Y pipe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need exhaust help!