Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Muffler delete question, a little different than can be searched.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 06:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
Thumbs up Muffler delete question, a little different than can be searched.

Hello all, new 2005 G35 6MT owner here.

My question is about the muffler delete mod.

I understand from searches that there is an annoying drone from 1500-5000 RPM, and that there is a 'transfer of power' from low end to high end on the torque curve.

My first question relates to prior Modular V8 Mustang Owners/V8 owners.

I sold my 2004 Mustang GT to get this vehicle, and I had a factory exhaust on there. It was plenty loud in vehicle, and could be heard at any RPM (Convertible).

If I do the muffler delete, can I expect similar noise in the cabin? Currently, I feel the G35 is way to quiet, but I am used to that Modular V8 growling at any RPM.

During research, I have read the many people feel that aftermarket catbacks are still to quiet, or just don't sound good compared to stock. However, stock to me sounds like a factory quiet and restrictive exhaust. I barely hear it in the cabin, and with windows down, it is still hard for me to hear the full range of RPM in the exhaust note.

My second question, is about the 'loss' or 'transfer' of TQ in the muffler delete. How noticeable is this honestly? I had a Scion xA (1.5 liter) many years ago that I could feel a loss of power in muffler removal, but that car is barely pushing 86HP to the wheels.

I would imagine a 3.5 liter V6 wouldn't have a noticeable loss of TQ. On a V8 I have yet to feel one, and it's a decent sized V6 in that engine bay.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to the responses.

tl;dr version
1. How does a muffler delete in our G35's sound compared to having prior V8's?
2. How bad is power loss felt, honestly, for a muffler delete, if at all?

Old 02-22-2016, 07:02 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
TL: DontFeelLikeReading

dont do a muffler delete.
get a real exhaust and enjoy

Old 02-22-2016, 07:24 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
drones like ****. rasp like ****. loss of power not noticeable. all the cheapo kiddos get it and feel like they're the fastest **** on the street because LOUD.

listen to jersey

Old 02-22-2016, 10:37 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Why is the tl;dr always at the end? Like I already read it..why can't it be at the beginning? Why? WHY?!

OP, just don't. Whoever told you catbacks are not loud enough is deaf af. Just get a tanabe medallion and open your ears to the smooth sounds of g35 jazz exhaust radio.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
There's nothing nicer than shifting thru the gears and listening to the sweet sound of your G35 exhaust IF you make the right choices! Aftermarket catback exhaust and high flow cats is where it's at, muffler delete just causes fugly noise!
Gary

Old 02-23-2016, 08:46 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Fast Intentions or Ark. Some people enjoy HKS or Motordyne...all a matter of preference.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:34 AM
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
...Just get a tanabe medallion and open your ears to the smooth sounds of g35 jazz exhaust radio.

Exactly what I needed to read/hear.

Thank you!

Last edited by Jnovuse; 02-23-2016 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 02-25-2016, 07:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, the biggest restriction in the factory exhaust is the cats. Deleting the rear muffler essentially just increases noise. I would expect the performance difference to be negligible. The factory muffler flows pretty well from the factory. I'm not sure how you intend on doing it, but just ripping off the rear muffler would make the exhaust dump below the cabin and the drone and fumes would be annoying.

The following users liked this post:
Lartytiejdke3 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 08:18 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by JMFeld02
Honestly, the biggest restriction in the factory exhaust is the cats. Deleting the rear muffler essentially just increases noise. I would expect the performance difference to be negligible. The factory muffler flows pretty well from the factory. I'm not sure how you intend on doing it, but just ripping off the rear muffler would make the exhaust dump below the cabin and the drone and fumes would be annoying.
very well said

Old 02-25-2016, 08:25 PM
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
You think ART pipes would be best? Or roll with HFC's?

Old 02-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Jnovuse
Tanabe Touring Medalion Exhaust for 2003-2007 Infiniti G35 Coupe Video

Exactly what I needed to read/hear.

Thank you!
I take your Tanabe and raise you a Motordyne Shockwave TDX V2

Old 02-26-2016, 12:59 PM
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
Originally Posted by Frostbite91
I take your Tanabe and raise you a Motordyne Shockwave TDX V2

Is that 4 outlets?? 2 of which unrestricted?

Old 02-26-2016, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You think ART pipes would be best? Or roll with HFC's?

ART pipes would be best for hp/tq numbers but would be a bit louder. If you're wanting some gains but care about noise and passing emissions then HFCs are the way to go. You'll still see gains with HFCs, just not quite as much as with the ARTs.

To answer your second question, that TDX2 is a straight through system with only a muffler right behind the y-pipe. The "mufflers" you see on the rear sections are actually side-branch resonators that cut down on drone. The exhaust gases flow through the main straight portion and the sound waves travel into the sealed resonators to help cancel out and eliminate drone.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:05 PM
G35 Rev-Up 6MT
ART pipes would be best for hp/tq numbers but would be a bit louder. If you're wanting some gains but care about noise and passing emissions then HFCs are the way to go. You'll still see gains with HFCs, just not quite as much as with the ARTs.

To answer your second question, that TDX2 is a straight through system with only a muffler right behind the y-pipe. The "mufflers" you see on the rear sections are actually side-branch resonators that cut down on drone. The exhaust gases flow through the main straight portion and the sound waves travel into the sealed resonators to help cancel out and eliminate drone.
I have never seen exhaust options like on a G35 before, it's actually pretty amazing to me.

Hondas are just, straight pipe and canister muffler.
V8's are straight pipes, x or h pipes, then flow masters or equivalent.

These VQ exhausts are literally ART, just like those options of pipes are named.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:21 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Is that 4 outlets?? 2 of which unrestricted?
I think so. The hidden ones look like resonators to give it a nice growl. The muffler is actually way up front

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Muffler delete question, a little different than can be searched.