Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

2004 coupe resonator swap question

Old 02-13-2017, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 coupe resonator swap question

i like the factory exhaust note but want it about twice as loud. im hesitant about doing a muffler delete. i drive about 400 miles a week on the hwy. i dont want any obnoxious drone. i was thinking about removing the mid resonator, the big one, and replacing it with a very small, maybe 8" long glasspack. thats it just the glasspack with factory muffler. anyone tried this before? what do yall think? thanks!

Old 02-14-2017, 12:06 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
I know on Accords and TL's removing the mid muffler and replacing the factory resonator with an aftermarket one like a Dynomax or Magnaflow works well without making the car obnoxiously loud. Don't know how well the factory G35 muffler(s) quiet the exhaust alone so not sure how long the resonator should be. I have a Tanabe Medallion exhaust on my car, the resonator is pretty small and there is drone at Texas freeway speeds (75-80 is legal here) so I'm probably going to add a larger resonator.

Might want to compromise and go with something between 12-18" since the factory one is pretty huge and no doubt has a lot of sound control.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im in texas as well. I dont want much drone on hwy aswell.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:29 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
As my exhaust has broken in, at steady freeway speeds there isn't any drone but you definitely hear exhaust sounds with minor tip in so still going to do the larger resonator.

My Accord, with a long tube J-pipe (eliminates the 3rd cat), mid muffler removed and factory resonator replaced with a Dynomax has absolutely no drone. Trying it initially without a resonator, I didn't have drone but I did have some nasty rasp between 3000-4500 or so. Just one of those thing if you don't buy a complete exhaust you may have to play with a bit to get the sound you want.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
You want twice the sound from your G exhaust and only want to install different resonators? That won't happen! Muffler delete is simply a ghetto mod even in Texas, do you really want to degrade your ride? My suggestion, leave it alone and enjoy the ride...it already sounds good!
Gary

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.