Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

K&N for the Coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 11:46 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
K&N for the Coupe?

I know it's a bit early yet but has anyone bought a K&N for their Coupe? Is it same size as one for Sedan? Sedan Filter # = 33-2031

Gsedanman- Garnet Fire Sedan (waiting for D/G Coupe)

Old 11-28-2002, 12:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: K&N for the Coupe?

Gsedanman,

Have you put a K&N in your sedan? I bought one today but I'm having a hell of a time removing the housing to install it. If you did one, any help or instructions on how would be much appreciated!

2003.5 G35 Sedan
Premium
Bose
Sunroof
Bi-Xenon's
Aero/Sport
Winter
Splash Guards

Old 11-28-2002, 10:32 AM
O.F. Administrator

Hey Chiphead, I haven't been into 'TECH' posts lately and missed your question. Yea I got a K&N for the Sedan and it looks exactly the same size as the Coupe. I checked the size against Paintballbitch's at our meet in TO on the weekend.
Putting these things in is a royal pain, there's very little room as you've found out. I've found it best to take off the inlet 'bellows' (2 clamps), unscrew the air box hold down bolt (10mm), pop off the air horn inlet and extension ( 4 plastic pins total), and release the 4 air-box clamps . Sounds like a lot but it gives just enough clearance for the job. It's about the only complaint, other than the Mickey Mouse dipstick, that I have. Let me know how you do. Hope this helps. Later
Gsedanman-Garnet Fire Sedan ('till Jan)
P.S. one sugestion tho, : when it comes time to clean the filter with the Filter Charger kit be carefull to not put a lot of oil back on ( the pink stuff) Apparently if you over apply the oil, it will mess up the air sensor and send false readings to the ECU. So be very sparing on the reapplication. Later.-G

Old 11-28-2002, 09:57 PM

Gsedanman,

OH MY GOD!! what a pain is right! I never thought that changing an air filter would be such a hassle.

First, thank you for your goidance! It helped!

I too found that removing the cartridge by unscrewing the four bolts where the intake hose attaches to it was the only way to remove it. For some totally unknown reason there's a big basket at the bottom that prevents you from just seperating the two halves and sliding in the filter. Then there's this O-ring that goes around the housing by a screen that almost fell out after I took off the cartridge. I dropped my socket wrench into the engine of the car while I was unscrewing the bolts and it hit the engine pan at the bottom with a thud! I had to bang the engine pan until the wrench moved over far enough so I could grab it and remove it. Banging it carried it down by the tire then i could reach my hand over the pan and grab it out. Another thing I found was that I had to unplug the O2 sensor wires so I could remove the cartridge completely. I broke a giude flange where the wire is connected to the cartridge when I unplugged the wires! I tried to take off the intake cowling thats to the left of the cartridge when you look at it. I decided not to remove it becasue the cheesy clips they use felt like they were going to break if I was to pop them off. So instead I seperated the cartridge from the cowling and then I was able to pull it out! Too much work!!!! I has a 71 Chevelle with a standard round filter. One center butterfly nut and it's off! Not with this car. I wonder how much a dealer would charge to change a filter! Probably an hour of labor plus the filter. Definitely not work the money! Do it yourself even though it's a major pain!

Took the car for a ride to make sure the sensors were working and I did notice a little more pep off the line and while accelerating.

Thankfully K&N's last for 50,000 - 100,000 miles without having to be recharged! I never want to do that again!

2003.5 G35 Sedan
Premium
Bose
Sunroof
Bi-Xenon's
Aero/Sport
Winter
Splash Guards

Old 11-28-2002, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Gsedanman

Does the K&N Filter do anything though?

I am thinking of putting in the Stillen cold air intake

http://www.stillen.com/sportscars_de...id=2544&page=1

Then I am planning to change my HID lights from 4350k to 7500k later

Old 11-29-2002, 12:28 PM

whats the color difference between HID lights from 4350k to 7500k?

Picture?

<font color=green> . . : : pestilence : : . .
2003.5 Infiniti G35 Sedan .... sports/sunroof </font color=green>

Old 11-29-2002, 12:45 PM
Old 11-29-2002, 12:56 PM
O.F. Administrator

Hey PBB, Did I tell you I liked your ride? haha. Can't wait for mine to come in (about 2-3 weeks). I've seen a dyno somewhere that proved the K&N did allow the engine to produce about 5 more ponies. I don't remember the car or whether the inlet was in any way restrictive. All I remember is that the car benefitted.
The Stillen C/A system is probably a tuned system for max. performance, and must include a low retriction filter. I've not checked the web-site yet. If it does then no need for K/N. Let me know what you decide. It seems there's some ponies to be had by lowering the restriction and cooling the intake charge. Later
Gsedanman-Garnet Fire Sedan (until Jan)

Old 11-29-2002, 01:12 PM
O.F. Administrator

Hey man, You finally succeeded huh? I too remember when changing the filter was about as easy as opening the hood!!!!
How things have changed. There also used to be some room under the hood to do stuff, not now. AARRRRR. Those stupid (cheesy) clips you mentioned - you have to pry the middle out first to release the rest of the clip. Wondered if you knew. Isn't that something when you drop a tool or whatever onto the engine cover? I've had that off so many times now to retrieve stuff now I just bang the tray like you did> To hell with taking that thing off every time. PITA!!!! By the way you can actually vacuum out the filter (somewhat) by poking the skinny attachment onto the air inlet. It gets most of the junk and is a lot easier than taking the F'n filter out again. hahaha.
Paintballbitch up here in TO is looking into a Stillen C/A system for his Coupe. This maybe an answer for the install problem on the stock system and might even be good for a couple more ponies. Have to see. Later
Gsedanman-Garnet Fire Sedan ('till Jan)

Old 11-30-2002, 01:54 AM

Hey gsedanman

Where did you get the K&N filter

I talk to my friend, since it is already cold air intake, it doesn't really need to call to the Stillen one, the Stillen one is better, but for 5 hp 4 $600, it is just too $$$ to waste, I rather lower my car or put the money to audio

Old 11-30-2002, 04:22 AM
O.F. Administrator

Got mine thru dealer but he gives me 15%. K&N # is
33-2031-2 Canadian Tire sells K&N also so compare prices. Be careful of the lubricant used on the filter after cleaning tho, too much will mess up the MAF sensor.
Later- Gsedanman-Garnet Fire Sedan ('till Jan)

Old 11-30-2002, 06:54 PM

i can't see spending $500 on bulbs!
just my opinion.

Old 11-30-2002, 10:45 PM

Hey G,

Thanks for the reply. I did complete the job and again I'm thankful that it's a 50,000+ filter and i wont have to change it any time soon. I too will be looking at intake systems but I'll wait until the Nismo ones come over and those prices decline. Nismo products are coming to the US in spring '03 and they won't blow the warranty on the car since they're OEM and Nissan guarentees them! nismo has a nice intake system but again I bet it's quite costly. I've seen some Nissan Maxima ones (not Nismo though) for around $250.00 parts only. It doesn't look tough as all you'd have to do is remove the screws on the air filter cartridge and screw on the cone filter instead. Or, if it comes with a new MAF, then remove the bellow screws and reconnect the intake and sensor connector. Not hard after doing the cartridge! Even if an intake only gives 5 HP, it still sounds meaner I'd bet!

2003.5 G35 Sedan
Premium
Bose
Sunroof
Bi-Xenon's
Aero/Sport
Winter
Splash Guards