Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Phresh DYNO on my Coupe by K & N ...... 12.27.200

Old 01-05-2003, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 Coupe w/ K&N CAI
Re: Phresh DYNO on my Coupe by K & N ...... 12.27

Believe it or not the files are 88k. Next time I think I will use a photo edit tool & shrink down the overall image size, but I did not want it to be too hard to read the graph...

Thanks....

Old 01-05-2003, 12:00 PM
G35 Coupe w/ K&N CAI

Hey gsedanman...
Yes, I do agree. As I mentioned in my first post, I do know the early #'s on the prototype CAI's & am not allowed to discuss them, but the #'s alone from the OEM fit are pretty nice for very little effort or cost. I wish I could say more about the CAI, but it will be VERY nice both in look, function & fit, & there is even some interesting info between the G & the Z that I will not be able to discuss until they are done....... But I promise to share that story when I can......

Randy

Old 01-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Staff ALUMNI

Thanks for the update. Was not trying to be difficult, I had to use Photoshop to shrink some images myself before they would fit 3"x4" seems to be close for good viewing. Sounds small but when displayed on the post fits nicely on the screen.

Merlin.

Old 01-06-2003, 04:55 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Cheers........

Gsedanman-Garnet Fire Sedan ('till Jan 7, then D/G Coupe)

Old 01-11-2003, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if thats the auto I wonder what the 6sp looks like.

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

Old 01-14-2003, 04:41 PM

Can one even feel the difference from a 3-8 hp gain? Just want to know if it's worth the dough.

Old 01-15-2003, 12:17 AM

so you got 238 hp out of just a drop in filter. whoa. when i dynoed mine (6MT) i was only able to pull 224.xx. that is some gain. or am i reading it wrong?

Doc

You have been weighed.....You have been measured.....and you have been found WANTING!!!

Old 01-18-2003, 02:09 AM
G35 Coupe w/ K&N CAI

No, zaid918 you would be reading it wrong I am very sorry to say. Since this was my car I can chime in here. EACH gear was tested with both filters, in this post 2nd & 3rd gear's Dyno sheets were scanned & posted, so you have 2 runs for each gear. Read the black text detail at the bottom of each page. 2nd gear was tested with K & N OEM fit & factory paper filter, as was 3rd gear & 4th etc.. How else are you reading this? And if you are REALLY paying attention you will see the term "Stock Intake & K & N new " as well as "Stock Intake & Filter" I will translate since this seems to be greek. Stock Intake means the stock intake system, housing, ducting, etc. Stock intake & filter means, the stock housing & ducting as well as the STOCK paper filter. "Stock intake with a new K & N" means the stock housing & ducting with a new OEM fit K & N filtercharger, part number as referenced in one of my follow up posts above. The whole purpose of my car being there was to really test a prototype CAI (that stands for "Cold Air Intake"), which is NOT a stock housing & duct. It also says quite clearly that I am under NDA (that stands for Non Discolsure Agreement), which means I am not allowed to talk about the details of the prototype CAI system, however, since, as detailed in the story, the OEM fit K & N was a fluke as I took it out of my old Infitini, it gave them the opportunity to run the dyno in a 3'rd scenario.

Oh & you can call it BS, but before you do & make a post about it, you should really try to "Analyze" the Dyno a little more thoroughly yourself, as 2 runs per gear in each gear is a completely accurate & realistic test scenario. I did not bother to scan & post 4th gear. They were not tested between stock & K & N in different gears, again, EACH gear was tested with EACH filter on the STOCK intake system. If anyone else cares to, please help me out here, I just do not know how much clearer this can be made. It's not BS it's elementary. Oh & I have NO idea where you get the # 13 HP from any of the above documents, it shows clearly #'s ranging in the 5 to 7 range. So at least you are right that you will not see 13 REAL HP out of a drop in. We did not see that either, I do not know of anyone who has. Point me to that post so I can read it...

Sorry if I sound like a ****, but I do not like being accused of posting false information when the accusation is so full of holes itself, it sinks like the titanic. My advice, before you post something for all the world to see, check your facts, then just when you are sure you are right, re-check your facts again, then if you find that you are still right, just for good measure, re-check your facts one more time, as it really sucks to be wrong, but it's even worse when you say someone else is, & it's your information that is incorrect & then you post it for all the world to see. Also, for what it's worth, I also "Analyzed" the print outs before I scanned & posted them just to be sure the were accurate based on the tests that I KNOW were done, which they are & then I triple checked, just for good measure.

gsedanman, what do you think, does what I said make sense? Is the data clear? Oh & Doc, you are correct!

Also, just to be TOTALLY clear 2nd was tested at 2500 in both tests (paper & OEM fit K &N), & 3rd, dear person, was tested at 3500, not 2500 as your post indicates. What's that I smell, oh, it's Swiss Cheese, the holey cheese. Why is it holey, well it's FULL OF HOLES!!!!!! (For those confused by shameless sarcasm, HOLEY is not to be confused with holy, so no that is not a spelling error.) I'm pretty sure it won't hold water either! (Ok, now I will apologize for I am shamelessly indulging, I am so sorry.)

Say just for kicks & giggles I'm wondering what the dyno on your Coupe comparing a stock filter to an off the shelf OEM fit K & N showed?? Can you please scan & post those for us, I know I would love to see them & I might be wrong, but I think a few others here would get a kick out of them as well. Oh well, I won't hold my breath. Anyone else want to call me a liar? Funny I don't think we ever heard from nj1266 again either now that I think about it. Hmm. Hold me back!

Thanks guys...

Randy
(My little Coupe goes vroom vroom vroom, lemme hear ya say Way-Oh! "Way-Oh!")

Old 01-18-2003, 12:40 PM

Speaking of which, where is the best place to order a K&N filter? I was going to dyno my car sometime soon, and I could try it first without and then another run with and see the differences to help you back up your charts if you'd like. I just need to know where to get the K&N filter.

Old 01-18-2003, 02:44 PM
G35 Coupe w/ K&N CAI

I would say PAW. I do not have the # handly. They have locations here in CA, but they are also a widely distributed catalog, so I would wager if you look online, either by search engine or maybe the Pac Bell white pages. It stands for P\Performance Automotive Warehouse...
R

Old 01-18-2003, 05:36 PM

does anyone know how to open up the box to the filter? i just bought a K&N filter and can't seem to get the tray out to install the new filter. looks like one side of the box needs to be removed to get at it.

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 01-18-2003, 07:42 PM
O.F. Administrator

Hey Randy, It's OK, man. You're gonna get some 'Doubting Thomases' ...Ignore them. You just can't convince everyone. I've read and seen all you've written and posted and am convinced of the results and once again thanks for posting so much info. I know it takes a lot of time. I'm sure there's many readers on this and F/A forum that are following your results with 'baited breath' and can't wait for K&N to market the product. Man , 5 to 7 HP for the cost of a CAI is good news!
Forget the doubters, keep us up on results and any info you can share with us. Accept from me many thanks from all who will benefit from your time investment...........................

Gsedanman--in Silverstone Coupe clothing.

Old 01-18-2003, 07:57 PM
O.F. Administrator

Hey Kong, There's a lot of info on the subject in a few different threads. It can be done! But not easily. When I did my Coupe I found it harder yet than the Sedan.
I had to loosen clamps, remove bolts, disconnect a harness, and generally make the air 'BLUE' to get the job done. It's a thankless, fiddle-farty, ignornant job that if I did for a living I'd charge $100 a crack!.......Man, for the sake of 1 lousy inch! Not one of Nissan's better ideas.
I'm trying to remember who has done this many times-- must be a mechanic ( or has a bigger hammer, haha)
All kidding aside it's someone on this forum. Do a search
...........Anyone remember???????????????????........

Gsedanman--in Silverstone Coupe clothing.

Old 01-19-2003, 04:37 AM
G35 Coupe w/ K&N CAI

Thanks. I guess I just got a bit frustrated, when in good faith you do, as you elegantly put it, take the time & put forth all the info you have, you really hate to basically be called a liar. Very few things get to me, but it was the wee hours. It must have been the witching hour & the devil made me do it!! Anyway, just as a tickler, in reading your note, remember the 5 to 7 is just from the drop in, I am not allowed, as you know to talk about the CAI's #'s, but just figure if the OEM fit gives us 5 to 7, well you see where this goes I am sure....

And for the other post about getting the box off, it is tricky indeed, needless to say, you will have a few scracthed knuckles before all is said & done. I found, after loosening the one bolt to the right (when facing it head on), & you have undone the clips, you also need to remove the intake snorkle or flex tube, both clamp screws, & for one of them I had to take off the pretty engine cover as the head of the screw on that clamp was facing the wrong direction, & ultimately I never took the pieces out completely, you sort of just wedge (VERY carefully) the fllter in PRAY it all goes back together. Just be extra sure about the direction you put the filter in, as you will be really ticked at yourself if you put it in backwards.

Also a really good reminder tip from the K & N guys, who were greacious enough to clean & oil my filter for me. When it comes time in a year or so to clean your filter, do not over oil it, that will tend to clog or block the filter & actually restrict it's air flow & allow gunk / dirt to clog it up sooner. Obviously this is not an issue for a brand new one, but just a helpful reminder tip for down the road. So remember the cost for 5 to 7 comes for about 45.00 for the OEM fit, obviously the CAI will cost more, but in the future, hopefully soon, (they really do not even want me to say when) we will be able to talk more about that & the #'s that go along with it. In the mean time, I have been quite happy with the OEM fit for the present moment.

And I still can't wait to get to talk about the story regarding the new Z I pulled in next to & what is happening in that camp, as it compares to the G's. <---- Big Grin! They told me all kinds of info about the runs & tests they are doing for that car & the kit they are building....

Randy

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Phresh DYNO on my Coupe by K & N ...... 12.27.200