Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Completely Invisible hitch for the coupe.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Completely Invisible hitch for the coupe.

So I put a hitch on my coupe that is completely invisible when not in use. It's actually pretty simple. I based it on the hitch that roark made over on my350Z, but I used already existing parts. I mounted a bumper hitch vertically on the reinforcing beam behind the bumper. I then connect part of a tube style adjustable ball mount to it, and voila, a hitch.

Note: This hitch will not hold much weight. I have only used it to carry a bicycle using my bicycle
rack rack
. I would not put much more weight on it.

If anyone else wants to try this, here are the basic instructions. But first, the disclaimer: This information is provided as is. Use it at your own risk.

You may want to have a machine shop cut 1 to 1 1/2 inches off of the front end of the hitch to make it fit better.

1. Buy this bumper hitch. Others may work, but this one works for me.
2. Buy this tube style adjustable ball mount. Remove the actual ball mount - you will not use it.
3. Get the service manual for your car, and find the instructions for removing the Rear Bumper. For the 2004.5 coupe, they are on pages EI-17 - EI-18 (and others).
4. Remove the rear bumper and reinforcing beam.
5. Attach the hitch to the reinforcing beam upside down (see picture below). The last picture below is from underneath the car, with the rear of the car at the bottom of the picture. If you attach it right side up, it will be very hard to reach up past it to attach the adjustable ball mount.
6. Put the car back together.
7. Cut a slit in the bottom of the bumper cover so the adjustable ball mount can fit.

Attached Thumbnails Completely Invisible hitch for the coupe.-with_hitch1.jpg   Completely Invisible hitch for the coupe.-without_hitch1.jpg   Completely Invisible hitch for the coupe.-hitch.jpg  
Old 12-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
very cool. thanks for the write up!

Old 12-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Evil Bastard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice work!

Old 12-28-2006, 08:52 PM
thx for sharing.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Hmmmmm....I wonder if I could have a hitch place do something like this to support my motorcycle and trailer?

Old 01-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
wow...awesome..I remember shane was looking for this. Great job!

Old 01-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by IvoryGT
wow...awesome..I remember shane was looking for this. Great job!
Yup...

This is a very unique solution, and exactly what I am looking for....hopefully I can find a way to do this with a tongue weight that will support my street bike & trailer.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Could you please post up some more pictures/detail shots? I would like to see what kind of cutting you did to the bumper.

Also, did you just tap new holes in the bumper beam to mount the hitch?

Last edited by ShaneXman; 01-05-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:50 AM
yea thats def awesome...as already stated can you post a lil more in detail please with pics and stuff cuz i would love to able to tow my quad with my G.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:24 AM
MmmmMm I dont know, i cant see a G35 with a hitch....kinda odd to me IMO, no offense

Old 01-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by ShaneXman
Could you please post up some more pictures/detail shots? I would like to see what kind of cutting you did to the bumper.

Also, did you just tap new holes in the bumper beam to mount the hitch?
I didn't take any pictures when I had the car apart. I can try to take more pictures of the cut I made in the bumper. I may have time to do it later this week. The cut is only on the underside of the bumper - you can't see it unless you are underneath the car.

Yes, I had to drill holes in the beam to mount the hitch. And then I had to drill larger holes in the rear side of the beam so that I could put the nuts/washers in and torque them down.

I did have to use different bolts, the ones that came with the hitch were too long.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by logik05se
yea thats def awesome...as already stated can you post a lil more in detail please with pics and stuff cuz i would love to able to tow my quad with my G.
I would not use this solution to tow something that heavy - unless someone finds a way to use beefier mounts. The bolts that hold the reinforcing beam to the car don't seem very strong.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't know how the beam is constructed and how it is attached to the car, but bringing the tow bar down, when pulling on take of and pushing on stopping on the hitch tongue, induces a considerable amount of torque on the beam, that along with the cycling of pushing and pulling may damage the beam and even cause it to break off. Be very careful on how much weight you are pulling. It is OK if you are using it for a hitch mount bicycle carrier, but I wouldn't haul a trailer with more that a couple of hundred pound load around. It is a good and very ingenious idea though, in having a concealed hitch if you must have one.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dave
Note: This hitch will not hold much weight. I have only used it to carry a bicycle using my bicycle rack. I would not put much more weight on it.
I don't want to point any fingers but I think someone might have missed this part of his post.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:51 AM
Any updates? I was thinking about possibly doing something like this: http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107244&page=5

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.p...81#post2474681

The above setup seems to be fairly reinforced and able to withstand more towing weight than the drop hitch idea in this thread...but definitely along the same lines.

I wonder if maybe this custom 350Z hitch will work on our Coupes? That would be cool!

What do you guys think?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Completely Invisible hitch for the coupe.